Big Lake Bottom WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by philipolsen View Post
    This thread went dead fairly quick, were the first 2 hunts no good or what?
    Same thing happens to this thread every year. Its a good unit but you still need to be a pretty solid bowhunter to get it done out there. Very few deer are killed on the bow hunts.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

I will say, I saw the biggest, baddest rub I've ever seen out there. It was about 4ft off the ground on a tree that was 6-8 inches in diameter. Two sides were rubbed and the tree had endentions where he had rubbed the tips. I think we blew him out the first morning trying to get to our stand. We did see deer every sit except the last. The other thing is they encourage you to shoot a mature deer (more than the legal width).

We ended up with a hog, for which I was happy. We probably aren't going back for the next hunt. We have some sites down at another location and I have some land east of Italy that we may hunt. Also, we have youth/adult waterfowl weekends and drew two waterfowl hunts in Dec/Jan so our deer hunting will probably end mid November.

Good luck on your hunts. I really liked the bottoms and I like how it was managed. If you hunt DFW and west, hunting east sure makes it easy to find a tree to hunt from. I will apply again next year for this hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
        Same thing happens to this thread every year. Its a good unit but you still need to be a pretty solid bowhunter to get it done out there. Very few deer are killed on the bow hunts.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
        Yeah we were all a bunch of amateurs, so no dice. Also it was a brisk 95 degrees and bone dry everywhere. I did see deer on my way in and out of the stand a few times and found plenty of buck sign. These rainy colder days should make things better out there. It's an awesome unit and I will definitely try it again next yr if I get the opportunity

Comment

It should be fun this weekend, cooler weather and a little rain, can't wait

Comment

Originally posted by philipolsen View Post
            It should be fun this weekend, cooler weather and a little rain, can't wait
            Hunt the sloughs, and resist the temptation to get as far from the gate as possible. All the deer that I saw were within 1/2 mile of gate, and another guy jumped 3 does hunting the pond directly in front of the gate.

Comment

Soooo much rain, I think 4 deer were taken and no hogs between 15 hunters

Comment

I was in unit 3 and didn’t have much action, 1 and 2 had a lot of movement

Comment

The deer were moving this weekend, of course nothing moving within range of me, but still saw alot of deer. Mostly does and young bucks but did see a couple good size bucks.

Comment

Working...
                  X