Walden Colorado Elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walden Colorado Elk

Anyone have any knowledge to share about elk numbers West of Walden, CO.
    I saw on OTC Archery in Unit 6 was only 4% success. Not looking to get anyones lat and longitude location, just open information.

There may be better places, but I have a chance to hunt 6 and Unit 161. I hear altitude is high there (like most good places). Any valleys or hunter friendly mountains?

I may try to bow-hunt during the muzzle loader season, does anyone see this as a big problem or concern?

There’s a lot more moose in North Park around Walden than there are elk. They are there though. I scouted State Forest State Park on several occasions and only ran into moose. I eventually found elk up there on Bull Mountain. Never actually laid eyes on them but they were there. I scouted with a neighbor of mine. He ended up taking a nice 5 x 5 on Bill Mtn the second week of archery with trad equipment. I wasn’t able to make the hunt as my wife and I had a baby due. I believe that’s all unit 7. The other side of 14 is unit 6. Same story I believe. More moose. Lots of national forest. Really great fishing in NorthPark. Monster trout, all native, strong fish as the state no longer sticks up there.
    If you’re willing to move a lot and find animals it’s worth it. You won’t run into a lot of elk hunters up there.

Comment

success numbers are misleading. There are hunters who get elk every year and many hunters who show up the day before the hunt starts and have no clue what they are doing. 90+% of the hunters will not get further than a mile from their camp. Elk are not stupid. Most of the public land is BLM which means cattle run on it all summer. There are man made ponds wherever there are cattle. check google earth and make a plan. Be in shape and be ready to cover some ground and you will have far better odds than most.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
        success numbers are misleading. There are hunters who get elk every year and many hunters who show up the day before the hunt starts and have no clue what they are doing. 90+% of the hunters will not get further than a mile from their camp. Elk are not stupid. Most of the public land is BLM which means cattle run on it all summer. There are man made ponds wherever there are cattle. check google earth and make a plan. Be in shape and be ready to cover some ground and you will have far better odds than most.
        Thanks for the info. Already been hitting the gym since February. Doing every leg machine on maximum incline and working cardio. Still doesn't mean I'll not come out of there sore and beat down.

Comment

I packed into the Mt. Zirkel wilderness with some buddies six years ago. We happened to go during the worse flooding they'd had in decades. The little creek we camped next to rose at least a foot the week we were there. Saw some elk and came close a couple of times. Even though we got drenched we had fun. There is plenty of elk up there you just need to put in the miles.

Comment

I killed a nice elk there in 2016 with a private outfitter. I saw 2 shooter Elk in 5 days, and shot 1. Saw a ton of mule deer. There was 3 of us in a lodge with 8 hunters total. My buddies saw I huge Moose and 1 small bear. My buddies only saw spike elk and never killed anything. The elk I shot was literally 100 yards from public land. I will try to find pic of it. Where are you staying?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain39 View Post
              I killed a nice elk there in 2016 with a private outfitter. I saw 2 shooter Elk in 5 days, and shot 1. Saw a ton of mule deer. There was 3 of us in a lodge with 8 hunters total. My buddies saw I huge Moose and 1 small bear. My buddies only saw spike elk and never killed anything. The elk I shot was literally 100 yards from public land. I will try to find pic of it. Where are you staying?
              we haven't picked a place to stay yet. Just had a meeting with buddies today to seal the deal. 4 of us going. I have found some bed and breakfast in and around Walden. But still have a few things to work out before we make everything solid. (like clearing it with the wife) :-)

Comment

I killed this one in Walden last year. Not a monster, and it was on private land. The ranch I hunted gets 35 tags and I believe they killed 34 bulls.

I saw a lot of elk, and a lot of them were on public ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JDL View Post
                  I killed this one in Walden last year. Not a monster, and it was on private land. The ranch I hunted gets 35 tags and I believe they killed 34 bulls.

I saw a lot of elk, and a lot of them were on public ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  I would take that all day long!

Comment

Originally posted by lmartin5 View Post
                    I would take that all day long!
                    And night!

Comment

Elk I shot in 2016
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X