Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-08-2019, 09:04 PM   #1
rocky
Pope & Young

Default Trapping deer at Landís End golf course on Lake Fork.

The HOA at Landís End golf course on Lake Fork has hired a trapper to trap 100 deer in the subdivision. TV station KLTV did a report that only represented the HOA, and interviewed the HOA president. He claimed that due to overpopulation, that they were seeing malnutrition and deformities in the deer herd. This is total B.S. I have never seen a malnourished or deformed deer in the 20 years Iíve owned my property less than 1/2 mile from this subdivision. These deer are going to a slaughterhouse simply because they eat the landownerís shrubs. KLTV didnít research or interview anybody opposing this slaughter. They didnít interview the landowners that feed the deer so that they can view them. Iím not good on a computer, so I would ask those that are to watch the interview to contact KLTV and voice their opinion.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 09:23 PM   #2
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Rocky- seems to me you don't have a dog in the fight. you don't live there. If they decided they wanted less of a deer population hen they should be able to.
glen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 09:28 PM   #3
BitBackShot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Overpopulation of deer in the hill country is a very real thing in some areas. My buddy in Boerne will have a dozen deer in and around his yard on any given day and everyone else does too. They used to trap deer in my neighborhood, though they relocated them. At least that’s what they said.

They mow everything down and become hazards on the road when their numbers get too high. They can also present a danger to people when they lose their fear. I don’t think keeping numbers in check where it’s needed is a problem.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 09:28 PM   #4
kingranch
Ten Point

They did the same here in lakeway...too many people getting in accidents here deer are like rats
I'm all for controlling population if it keeps even one person from a bad accident.
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 09:30 PM   #5
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Rocky- seems to me you don't have a dog in the fight. you don't live there. If they decided they wanted less of a deer population hen they should be able to.
Are you saying that the deer belong to them, and they can regulate the population as they see fit?
Old 01-08-2019, 09:42 PM   #6
Txbownut
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas, East Texas, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Are you saying that the deer belong to them, and they can regulate the population as they see fit?
If they are overpopulated and doing damage, they need to be controlled. Hopefully a good use of the meat will be found.
Txbownut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 09:48 PM   #7
PYBUCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Upton County

All this will have to be with the permission of the TPWD and they will determine what is done with them The State Of Texas owns the deer, not the HOA.
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 09:51 PM   #8
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

Believe it or not they have been quietly doing this in Washington DC on and around their beltway for 5 years......
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 09:54 PM   #9
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitBackShot View Post
Overpopulation of deer in the hill country is a very real thing in some areas. My buddy in Boerne will have a dozen deer in and around his yard on any given day and everyone else does too. They used to trap deer in my neighborhood, though they relocated them. At least thatís what they said.

They mow everything down and become hazards on the road when their numbers get too high. They can also present a danger to people when they lose their fear. I donít think keeping numbers in check where itís needed is a problem.
Landís End is on a penensula, and the only road is a crater filled county road that safely allows a 45 mph speed. There has been app. 10 deer related crashes in the 20 years Iíve lived here, and zero human injuries.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:58 PM   #10
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Quote:
Landís End is on a penensula, and the only road is a crater filled county road that safely allows a 45 mph speed. There has been app. 10 deer related crashes in the 20 years Iíve lived here, and zero human injuries.
Iím not familiar with the area, but I wonder why an urban archery hunt wasnít considered? Theyíve done that in several places up here with lots of success around retirement communities/golf course areas.
Razrbk89 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 09:58 PM   #11
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Those deer won’t be slaughtered but relocated to less populated areas
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 09:59 PM   #12
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYBUCK View Post
All this will have to be with the permission of the TPWD and they will determine what is done with them The State Of Texas owns the deer, not the HOA.
Exactly. Pressure by the HOA influences decisions by area biologist. We need to keep as many as we can happy.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:00 PM   #13
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Those deer wonít be slaughtered but relocated to less populated areas
Wrong. They are be transported to a killing facility.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:03 PM   #14
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk89 View Post
Iím not familiar with the area, but I wonder why an urban archery hunt wasnít considered? Theyíve done that in several places up here with lots of success around retirement communities/golf course areas.
TPWD deer management response. ď You canít control deer population with archery equipmentĒ. I presented this proposal several years ago, when they decided that less than 20 deer needed to be removed.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:03 PM   #15
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Wrong. They are be transported to a killing facility.
Well I guess they changed then. When they were trapped in HSB they went to anthrax kill areas. State came and trapped 200 off ex inlaws to go to anthrax area. That's been several yes ago. I participated in severL of those at their ranch
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 10:04 PM   #16
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

If they are killed, my money's on feeding them to somebody, homeless shelters, etc. If they were to throw them in the landfill, then you'd have a case. Otherwise, not so much. Too many of anything is usually not good.
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 10:06 PM   #17
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
If they are killed, my money's on feeding them to somebody, homeless shelters, etc. If they were to throw them in the landfill, then you'd have a case. Otherwise, not so much. Too many of anything is usually not good.
Supposedly feeding convicts. Do convicts deserve venison?
Old 01-08-2019, 10:06 PM   #18
redfishted
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas, Iowa

Quote:
Those deer wonít be slaughtered but relocated to less populated areas
I doubt it, I know a guy than ran one the meat packing facilities they use, he gets deer in sometimes a hundred at a time.
redfishted is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 10:09 PM   #19
Ispdnxs
Six Point

Hunt In: Various Public Lands

Wish I knew they were that upset. Instead of staring at tag soup I could have brought my bow last time I played the course. If anyone knows of any other folks frustrated by high numbers of deer on their property, shoot me a PM. Got tags and plenty of freezer space. My folks live on Fork, this would have been a great opportunity. So sad...hope the meat goes to a good place.
Ispdnxs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 10:15 PM   #20
glen
Pope & Young

State has possession rights to the deer. HOA has biologist come out and determined deer population needs to be declined. I still don't know why it would matter to you if you don't live in the neighborhood.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:17 PM   #21
Lawhunter
Ten Point

Why is this making people upset? I’m obviously overlooking something.
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 10:17 PM   #22
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispdnxs View Post
Wish I knew they were that upset. Instead of staring at tag soup I could have brought my bow last time I played the course. If anyone knows of any other folks frustrated by high numbers of deer on their property, shoot me a PM. Got tags and plenty of freezer space. My folks live on Fork, this would have been a great opportunity. So sad...hope the meat goes to a good place.
Itís about to get ugly. KLTV just contacted me. Iím not known for my political correctness.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:18 PM   #23
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawhunter View Post
Why is this making people upset? Iím obviously overlooking something.
If your neighbor decided to kill 100 deer, would it upset you?
Old 01-08-2019, 10:20 PM   #24
glen
Pope & Young

So I like skunks- they come into your yard and dig every night. you want to remove them and I live somewhere else but think its my right to tell you to leave the skunks in your yard. Why don't ou go pay HOA dues in that neighborhood if you want a say in the matter?
Old 01-08-2019, 10:25 PM   #25
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
State has possession rights to the deer. HOA has biologist come out and determined deer population needs to be declined. I still don't know why it would matter to you if you don't live in the neighborhood.
Landowners with 2 acres inside a subdivision with other 2 acre landowners feeding deer are able to determine the deer population in a 2 sq. mile area? Iíve recommended that homeowners not feed the deer in this subdivision for years. ďWe like to watch deer. Crap!!! Theyíre eating my shrubs!! We have too many deerĒ. City people moving to the country. SMDH!!!!
Old 01-08-2019, 10:29 PM   #26
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
So I like skunks- they come into your yard and dig every night. you want to remove them and I live somewhere else but think its my right to tell you to leave the skunks in your yard. Why don't ou go pay HOA dues in that neighborhood if you want a say in the matter?
Again, deer range more than 400 acres. This affects at least a 2 sq. mile area. Bringing skunks into this discussion is lame at best.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:30 PM   #27
Lawhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Landowners with 2 acres inside a subdivision with other 2 acre landowners feeding deer are able to determine the deer population in a 2 sq. mile area? Iíve recommended that homeowners not feed the deer in this subdivision for years. ďWe like to watch deer. Crap!!! Theyíre eating my shrubs!! We have too many deerĒ. City people moving to the country. SMDH!!!!
How much land do you have next to them? Do the deer travel to your property? Seems like they have no reason to leave the community.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:38 PM   #28
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
How much land do you have next to them? Do the deer travel to your property? Seems like they have no reason to leave the community.
I have 15 acres, and yes, they do travel to my property and beyond. Bucks are just now reaching potential due to AR, and my wife has killed 2, 135 inch deer in the last 3 years. She boehunts only, and Iíve recommended a program for bow hunting in this subdivision to control the population. I actually set up a program for women bow hunters that was approved, then shot down by TPWD biologist.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:40 PM   #29
Lawhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
I have 15 acres, and yes, they do travel to my property and beyond. Bucks are just now reaching potential due to AR, and my wife has killed 2, 135 inch deer in the last 3 years. She boehunts only, and Iíve recommended a program for bow hunting in this subdivision to control the population. I actually set up a program for women bow hunters that was approved, then shot down by TPWD biologist.
Are they trapping your deer?
Old 01-08-2019, 10:41 PM   #30
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Are they trapping your deer?
Yes. Not my deer technically, but deer that frequent my property.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:42 PM   #31
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Supposedly feeding convicts. Do convicts deserve venison?
We're supporting them no matter what they eat. Why is this such a big deal to you ? Not being smart, just trying to understand.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:45 PM   #32
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
We're supporting them no matter what they eat. Why is this such a big deal to you ? Not being smart, just trying to understand.
The way I look at it, is that these deer are just as much mine as they are the landowners in Landís End.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:46 PM   #33
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
The way I look at it, is that these deer are just as much mine as they are the landowners in Landís End.
Ok.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:48 PM   #34
glen
Pope & Young

Well your argument that there is no overpopulation and then saying you have recommended a bowhunting program in this neighborhood to control population? Just say it- your are upset that the deer are not being controlled by hunting and are being trapped. Yea I get it. You see hunting opportunity. Just think of the liability on 2 acre lots with children and broad heads flying. Id trap them too.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:00 PM   #35
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well your argument that there is no overpopulation and then saying you have recommended a bowhunting program in this neighborhood to control population? Just say it- your are upset that the deer are not being controlled by hunting and are being trapped. Yea I get it. You see hunting opportunity. Just think of the liability on 2 acre lots with children and broad heads flying. Id trap them too.
What youíve missed. 8-9 years ago, when this issue first surfaced, the then president of the HOA came to me and asked if I could implement a program to harvest 12-15 deer from the subdivision. At that time, HOA rules did not allow the discharge of firearms. I recruited women from the archery shop to have an opportunity at bowkilling these deer. Shot down by TPWD biologist. Landowners combined property to create MLD level 1 and shot 30-35 deer for 3 years with rifles. New TPWD regulations prevent this subdivision from qualifying for MLD. Now, they hire trapper with company biologist that coordinates with TPWD biologist to backdoor MLD and trap and kill deer in subdivision affecting surrounding landowners. Why do we not have a say in this matter?
Old 01-08-2019, 11:03 PM   #36
tef
Ten Point

Hunt In: Crowell Tx, Van Zandt Co. Tx

They have the same issue at Holly Lake Ranch golf course. They were allowing a small group of bowhunters to shoot as many as they could. It was working out really well, not sure if they are still doing it. Rocky, you may want to get some info on that to counter with.
tef is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 11:06 PM   #37
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Again, I said there was no malnourished or deformed deer that the president of the HOA mentioned in the interview on KLTV.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:17 PM   #38
Longue Carabine
Six Point

Hunt In: Medina County

I can understand why he's pi*sed. It will directly affect deer numbers on his own property
Longue Carabine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 11:39 PM   #39
Duckhead78
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

I lived in Austin years ago & I faintly remember something similar like this that took place. The best of my memory, the deer were processed & sent to the homeless shelters in the city. If that's what they're going to do with these deer I think that's a good thing. Now If we could only see these measures being taken on the wild hog population these shelters would have enough food to feed a lot of homeless folks.
Duckhead78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 11:47 PM   #40
Bear Charge
Six Point

Hunt In: East Texas

KLTV is based out of Tyler. Can't see how/why they are involved with Fork.
Bear Charge is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2019, 11:53 PM   #41
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

Would love for them to release the deer on my place which is 30 miles east of Lake Fork.
Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 12:22 AM   #42
Draco
Pope & Young

Sun City here close to Georgetown spends over $50,000 a year to trap and move up to 200 deer a year. The trapper says they lose half to stress every time. The half that dies are processed, the half that lives are relocated. I tried back in the nineties to form a bow hunting program so they could get rid of the deer and make a little money instead of spending money. They wouldn't do it because they didn't want the deer to get killed.

They did it in Fountain Wood sub-division where Bisch used to live and it worked great and still does. I think Bisch killed 9 one year.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 12:29 AM   #43
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching

I wish to heck I could remember the name of the subdivision near San Antonio that did this back in the 90's. A trapper was called in to relocate the deer that were just all over the place down there. The retired folks that lived there were hand feeding some big un's and all was well until two things happened. 1) Several folks were attacked by the deer getting to the corn bucket or when the home owners tried to "shoo" them out of their gardens, I guess they just lost their fear of people. 2) A few guys were caught using bows to take deer out of their back yards.

In some instances trapping and relocating makes sense.

Richard
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 12:35 AM   #44
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Charge View Post
KLTV is based out of Tyler. Can't see how/why they are involved with Fork.
Lake Fork is East Tx. KLTV covers a lot of East Tx stories. I had them on my place in Athens 6 yrs ago and I'm a good hour from their station. No different than Dallas stations driving 1-2 hrs west to get something for news coverage.

Lands End is just a quick 45 min drive North from KLTV headquarters.

Last edited by Antlers86; 01-09-2019 at 12:37 AM.
Antlers86 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 06:02 AM   #45
Ispdnxs
Six Point

Hunt In: Various Public Lands

Quote:
Itís about to get ugly. KLTV just contacted me. Iím not known for my political correctness.

Good luck! The fact that you helped with a solution encouraging female bow hunters and then got shot down by TPWD is very frustrating. What was the reasoning on their side? There is plenty of places out there to allow safe hunting. Do it during the weekdays while kids are in school and most folks are out working. Surely there are some folks living within the HOA that are hunters. Wonder what their opinion is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ispdnxs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 06:19 AM   #46
warrington
Ten Point

Hunt In: Abilene
Default Ar

Should help the antler size of your deer
warrington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 06:58 AM   #47
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma / San Saba Co.

Trappers lives matter.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 07:07 AM   #48
skeeter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Kimble and Colorado Counties

Quote:
Yes. Not my deer technically, but deer that frequent my property.
whats the difference in them trapping deer that frequent your property and someone building a high fence around their land, essentially preventing deer from frequenting your property?
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 07:38 AM   #49
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
What youíve missed. 8-9 years ago, when this issue first surfaced, the then president of the HOA came to me and asked if I could implement a program to harvest 12-15 deer from the subdivision. At that time, HOA rules did not allow the discharge of firearms. I recruited women from the archery shop to have an opportunity at bowkilling these deer. Shot down by TPWD biologist. Landowners combined property to create MLD level 1 and shot 30-35 deer for 3 years with rifles. New TPWD regulations prevent this subdivision from qualifying for MLD. Now, they hire trapper with company biologist that coordinates with TPWD biologist to backdoor MLD and trap and kill deer in subdivision affecting surrounding landowners. Why do we not have a say in this matter?
Honestly, it sounds like the HOA president tried to do the right thing, and TPWD is the issue. You two should be on the same team, and going after TPWD on the news. A headline of TPWD blocks ethical population control of deer would go a lot further than neighboring LO disagrees with HOA president.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 07:40 AM   #50
Rem40x
Four Point

Quote:
Well I guess they changed then. When they were trapped in HSB they went to anthrax kill areas. State came and trapped 200 off ex inlaws to go to anthrax area. That's been several yes ago. I participated in severL of those at their ranch
We received a lot of trapped deer. We are in anthrax area. It's good deal the vac8nated deer ect.
Rem40x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top