Baby deer, desert deer and stink pigs!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby deer, desert deer and stink pigs!!

For the last few years my wife has been finishing up her masters to become a nurse practitioner. This past fall was her busiest semester, working 360 clinical hours. Knowing how busy she was going to be I promised to not go on any out of state hunts this past fall. Well today is the day!! She has graduated!!

With her out of school it’s almost time to head west!!! To Arizona that is.

A lot of people don’t realize how awesome Arizona is for Archery deer hunters. Much of the state has OTC Archery deer tags. A non resident AZ license cost $160 and a otc deer tag cost $315. Here is the kicker!! Your license and tag is good for a calendar year. So if you go hunt deer in January and don’t kill a deer then you can go back in August or December on the same tag and license. Oh and I also have a javi tag too!!!

I am headed out with my buddy Justin. This will be his first public land hunt out west. We are hunting a unit that has a decent number of mule deer as well as Coues Deer. The plan is to leave after work friday Jan 11 and drive half way to Ruifoso NM. We will drive into Arizona on Saturday the 12 and begin glassing/hunting that evening. The plan is to hunt Jan 12-18 and drive back to Texas Saturday the 19th.

I know it’s a few weeks out but I like to start these semi live threads early so that I can post my thoughts on gear and prep. Heck preparation is half the fun of a hunt.

I also want to add that I have never hunted Coues Deer or desert mule deer. I have only hunted mule deer once and it didn’t turn out great. That said I have done a ton of research for this hunt and feel very prepared to find animals. I am currently real fat and out of shape. But hey what better way to kick off a diet than hike 10 miles a day in some of the toughest country Arizona has to offer? Like my buddy Phil says. #DBAP

So since I didn’t spend any money on hunting trips the last year I spent way to much money on gear. Stay tuned guys this one should be fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats to your wife, and good luck on your hunt, JT!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Man.. u just made that sound exciting and I hate the thought of doing something like that. Awesome.

Comment

Definatly congrats to your wife. Hope you have a great trip and have plenty of shot opportunities.

Comment

Congratulations to your wife. Nice family you have there.

Comment

Congrats to the wife. Lots of NP jobs out there in the DFW area. Good luck on the mulie hunt. I have done that hunt 3 times in January. If you hit the rut it can be real fun. We always see a lot but haven't been able to kill one. We usually have issues closing in under 70-80 yds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats to her, you, and the family JT ! My daughter will be headed the same direction soon. Already a BSRN.

Comment

A) Congrats to your wife.

B) Stop telling people about AZ hunting. It's a hidden gem.

Comment

What Unit?

Comment

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
                    What Unit?

I’ll publicly share that if the unit sucks [emoji23]

Comment

Congrats to Mrs JT

Best of luck on your hunt brother

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                        I’ll publicly share that if the unit sucks [emoji23]

Please don't. There are enough hunters out there in January as it is. Lots of locals as well. If you get off the beaten path you should be good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Congratulations to you both. My wife finished her's up a few years ago, it's sacrifice for the whole family, but a blessing when it's done. Now she's entered her DNP program that'll take another 3 years.

Comment

Looking forward to following along! Congrats to the bride! Rackley or Gangel?
                            My Flickr Photos

Comment

congrats to your better half and good luck on the trip

Comment

Working...
                              X