Emergency Heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emergency Heat

I took my unit off of "Emergency Heat" for the first time in 5 days. Minus 3 at my house yesterday a.m. and back up to 21 right now. Doing a good job keeping the house toasty so far. Have you had to use emergency heat on your unit. Mine is a 5 ton 3 year old Trane but it couldn`t keep up after the temperature got down around 17-18 degrees and falling.

I switched mine to emergency, just the keep the coils from freezing. My lovely wife read something on the interwebs that you would have a $1k bill on emergency- she switched it back, and I didn't argue.

Comment

never switched mine over and have had no issues set at 67 all day and night. thought if it needed to switch it did it on it's own?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
        never switched mine over and have had no issues set at 67 all day and night. thought if it needed to switch it did it on it's own?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
        Same here, I was told the emergency heat was only if your heat pump went out. We were at -7° wind chill and the heat pump had the inside at 70°. We're spray foam attic and exterior walls though.

Comment

Mine is auto and foam as well.

Comment

I tried to but honestly the auxiliary heat was not blowing as hot as the heat pump. I fear something may be wrong with the aux heat as it should be hotter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

"Most" heat pump units are efficient down to about 34-35 degrees. Emergency heat setting is for the strip heaters in the air handling unit. The strip heat does cost more to run, but with the heat pump mode less effective at those temps and below, it runs more. I usually switch to emergency heat when outside air temp (which affects the condensing unit in heat pump mode) drops below 35.

Comment

Ribcage is spot on. Emergency heat may cost a little more, but it won’t damage your equipment. It’s an alternative to heat your home.

Comment

My Lennox does everything automatically so I let it do it's thing. So far, it seems to be doing well. We've been keeping our thermostat between 70-73.

Comment

Working...
                  X