Idea to help outside faucets and water wells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idea to help outside faucets and water wells

I have a number of faucets off my well house and shop that need protecting. For the past few hours I have had a roll of LED Christmas lights under a towel outside on a table. I placed one of my BBQ probes under the lights and the other probe hanging in the atmosphere. So far I have been holding 68 degrees under the lights and 32 degrees outside. My thoughts are to wrap the pipes with lights then wrap with towels and seal the towels with duct tape.

Hope it works with the temps drop to single digits.

Thinking outside the box

Comment

I tape a couple hand warmers to the faucet then cover with a styrofoam box.It doesnt have to keep them warm.Just have to keep them from freezing.

DJ

Comment

Originally posted by DJM View Post
        I tape a couple hand warmers to the faucet then cover with a styrofoam box.It doesnt have to keep them warm.Just have to keep them from freezing.

DJ

Exactly right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s interesting, I work in the Christmas light business and never considered LEDs to emit heat because they don’t melt snow on the roofline.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
            That’s interesting, I work in the Christmas light business and never considered LEDs to emit heat because they don’t melt snow on the roofline.
            maybe not enough to melt snow when exposed, but maybe just a little bit to make a difference when wrapped up. could be a little other resistance in that system putting off a little heat too (contacts into the LED?)

her interesting idea here...

Comment

I just thought of the hand warmer solution last night.....great minds.

Comment

I used shipping bubble wrap since nothing else was available anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter98 View Post
                  I used shipping bubble wrap since nothing else was available anywhere.

Did you disconnect the hose? If not, you should.

Comment

Yes sir

Comment

Dripping them should handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                        Did you disconnect the hose? If not, you should.
                        Please explain. I have a hose ran to my ditch that I was planning on trickling through rather than trickle out the faucet by the house. Got plenty of time to change that plan. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                          Dripping them should handle it.
                          Until the water freezes inside and outside the spigot...and the valve is still open... and the open valve allows air inside the pipe and then the outside water melts and the spigot is closed. Some of the water in the pipe is still frozen and air is trapped...unless valve blows free water. The air in the pipe warms up and expands faster than the water...air compresses...the water doesnt compress...the pipe explodes typically at a joint or coupling (inside the wall) from the pressure of the compressed air.

I quit fooling with insulating spigots once I figured out they all freeze...especially on an unheated exterior brick wall on a northern or eastern face. The pvc, copper and brass can handle the freeze...but not severly compressed air and water.

Drip internal faucets to keep the main lines unfrozen. If you open a frozen spigot...better stay with that spigot until it thaws and blows out water and any trapped air.

I think your on a decent (energy consumptive) track to keeping your spigots flowing Mr772.

Comment

My well, pressure tank, pressure pump, well head, holding tank pipes...I layer with synthetic blackets...no cotton. Then cover all with tarp and lay rocks to hold edges. I throw old water hoses on top to keep the middle of the tarp from flapping in the wind. Several years ago when everybody locally...their pressure pumps housings were cracking... mine was fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                              Until the water freezes inside and outside the spigot...and the valve is still open... and the open valve allows air inside the pipe and then the outside water melts and the spigot is closed. Some of the water in the pipe is still frozen and air is trapped...unless valve blows free water. The air in the pipe warms up and expands faster than the water...air compresses...the water doesnt compress...the pipe explodes typically at a joint or coupling (inside the wall) from the pressure of the compressed air.

I quit fooling with insulating spigots once I figured out they all freeze...especially on an unheated exterior brick wall on a northern or eastern face. The pvc, copper and brass can handle the freeze...but not severly compressed air and water.

Drip internal faucets to keep the main lines unfrozen. If you open a frozen spigot...better stay with that spigot until it thaws and blows out water and any trapped air.

I think your on a decent (energy consumptive) track to keeping your spigots flowing Mr772.

Tried to follow but can’t— and I’m a civil engineer that had an undergrad course concentration (no “minors” in my degree program) in physics and works everyday on water distribution systems!

100% success with drips for Central Texas freezes so far. Never an experience like what you’re describing. Keep the exposed fixtures insulated and water moving and you won't have problems.
                              Last edited by meltingfeather; 02-13-2021, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X