NX8 2.5-20 2fp vs NXS 5.5-22 please provide your opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NX8 2.5-20 2fp vs NXS 5.5-22 please provide your opinion

I’m in the market for a new scope and looking at the NXS 5.5-22 and NX8 2.5-20 2fp line. I’m reading some reviews saying the NX8 has some issues with “tunnel vision “ at high magnification as well as poor eye box / eye relief. For those with experience with both...If I’m not worried about weight or length would I be better off going with the NXS line for those reasons?

Personally I think NXS glass is trash. I’ve got an NX8 1-8 and 2.5-20. Glass is considerably better than NXS, and the most important part is the reticle choices. I’m pretty sure they haven’t updated any of the reticles available in the NXS since the First World War. They EUE box is tight on both of mine, but not overly tight. It took me an extra 10 minutes mounting time get it absolutely perfect, and the rest has been history.

Comment

What will it be used for? I prefer the NX8 over the NXS line but another thing to note is that 5.5 is high on the low end of magnification if you plan to use for hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
        What will it be used for? I prefer the NX8 over the NXS line but another thing to note is that 5.5 is high on the low end of magnification if you plan to use for hunting.
        Mostly paper and steel. Possibly a little hunting.

Comment

I have a couple different NF, I have the scope your looking to buy. The NXS works great for what your looking to do. I was shooting out regularly to 800 yards with it.
          Side note, I have the MOAR-T, and as I get older need a heavier crosshair. So I'm looking to get the MOAR now. Keep that in mind.

Comment

I have an NXS 5.5-22x56 and an NX8 4-32x50. Here are my thoughts after using both all year on 2 different rifles, hunting and target shooting out to 3/4 mile:

- NXS is a proven tracking great scope, it's big and the glass at low light is meh at best. I think the eyebox is very forgiving for 95% of the zoom range - it's gets a little tight at 22x. It also has the goofy (for me) feature where the whole ocular turns when you zoom in, vs the NX8 that has the free moving zoom ring like most scopes. This really becomes an issue if you use scope caps.

- NX8 has noticably better glass than the NXS, it's like a mini-ATACR with smaller 20 moa turrets and 30mm tube. The eyebox is easier to look through on the 4-32x than my NXS. I personally really like the capped windage turret, as you don't have the issues with brass deflecting off of the windage turret like you do with the NXS and any other scope with a big tactical windage turret on the port side of the rifle.

I also went with the 4-32x after looking through the 2-20x side by side - the eyebox and parallax on the 2-20x is finicky and the glass really is noticably better on the 4-32. Also, if you go with the FFP, your wind holds are accurate at any power. And me personally, I believe most scopes have better resolution at a magnification below their max - so if you want to use 20x to shoot way out there, get a scope that has a high end 20% above that and get ffp so your subtentions are still correct.

Also, the weight and size difference between the 2-20x and 4-32 is literally 0.3 ounces and 1.4" longer.

Both are great scopes, but I'd encourage you to go to Cabela's or another store that has both in stock and physically twist the turrets and look through them before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by cb4128 View Post
              I have an NXS 5.5-22x56 and an NX8 4-32x50. Here are my thoughts after using both all year on 2 different rifles, hunting and target shooting out to 3/4 mile:

- NXS is a proven tracking great scope, it's big and the glass at low light is meh at best. I think the eyebox is very forgiving for 95% of the zoom range - it's gets a little tight at 22x. It also has the goofy (for me) feature where the whole ocular turns when you zoom in, vs the NX8 that has the free moving zoom ring like most scopes. This really becomes an issue if you use scope caps.

- NX8 has noticably better glass than the NXS, it's like a mini-ATACR with smaller 20 moa turrets and 30mm tube. The eyebox is easier to look through on the 4-32x than my NXS. I personally really like the capped windage turret, as you don't have the issues with brass deflecting off of the windage turret like you do with the NXS and any other scope with a big tactical windage turret on the port side of the rifle.

I also went with the 4-32x after looking through the 2-20x side by side - the eyebox and parallax on the 2-20x is finicky and the glass really is noticably better on the 4-32. Also, if you go with the FFP, your wind holds are accurate at any power. And me personally, I believe most scopes have better resolution at a magnification below their max - so if you want to use 20x to shoot way out there, get a scope that has a high end 20% above that and get ffp so your subtentions are still correct.

Also, the weight and size difference between the 2-20x and 4-32 is literally 0.3 ounces and 1.4" longer.

Both are great scopes, but I'd encourage you to go to Cabela's or another store that has both in stock and physically twist the turrets and look through them before you buy.
              Thanks. I have been doing alot of reading since I posted this. Just about every review I have read echo's what you said. So I am now leaning very heavily towards the 4-32.

Comment

Yeah skip the NXS. Go ATACR or NX8. I didn’t like my 4-32 NX8 so I now have the 2-20

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  Yeah skip the NXS. Go ATACR or NX8. I didn’t like my 4-32 NX8 so I now have the 2-20

What did you not like about it. I'm thinking of getting one for more hunting than shooting.

Comment

If you want to look at different options, Look at the new huskemaw, I have NF and huskemaw and prefer the huskemaw. The new 5x20 tactical and 5x30 tactical are awesome. Both have internal bubble and the 5x20 has the lighted retical. You also get 2 free turets when you buy one.

Comment

The 4-3/ reticle isn’t usable on low power nor is it usable in its higher range. Being FFP it gets super small and then super big. I found the eye box was tighter on the 4-32 than on the 2-20. Big time. The 2-20 is semi tight but I’m used to 34mm tubes and I run a kahles on my main gun. So I’m spoiled. Chad knows his optics. It’s interesting that we have two totally different opinions lol.

Comment

Gotcha. I planned on getting the 2nd focal plane. The 1st focal is so tiny for my eyes

Comment

Originally posted by HTOWN View Post
                          Gotcha. I planned on getting the 2nd focal plane. The 1st focal is so tiny for my eyes
                          Same here. I don't care for the 1FP scopes.

Comment

opinions

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                            The 4-3/ reticle isn’t usable on low power nor is it usable in its higher range. Being FFP it gets super small and then super big. I found the eye box was tighter on the 4-32 than on the 2-20. Big time. The 2-20 is semi tight but I’m used to 34mm tubes and I run a kahles on my main gun. So I’m spoiled. Chad knows his optics. It’s interesting that we have two totally different opinions lol.
                            I never use the low end on this gun, it's on a 300 win mag, and I never use the 32x - so the sweet spot for me was around 20-25x which for this scope the reticle and eyebox is great. The 20x for me wasn't enough magnification for this gun. I have shot this gun to a mile with it, which works great.

If it was on a 6.5 prc or a varmint gun, I would definitely go with the 2-20x

Comment

I have the 2.5-20 sfp and it’s great. The eye box is definitely finicky at the beginning but like anything you get used to it and it becomes second nature.

Comment

Working...
                              X