No announcement yet.

How fast will you drive in 4 HIGH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 350 and Tacoma both have 4wd. But my wife’s Tahoe has the “Auto” switch in addition to 4WD H and L. I haven’t read that manuals but I’d be using it over the other two if I had to move down the highway in 4WD.

Comment

50-55

Comment

Pretty slow if the roads are bad enough to need 4x4.

Comment

4W high since Sunday morning except where the highway was obviously clear. 50mph tops, and averaging 7.6 mpg. haha 6.4 hemi 2500 ram

Comment

I drove from Laramie Wyoming to Great Falls Montana in 4 High back in 2012. Probably hit 60 but most 45-55 mph.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
              Be careful, 4wd will get you in more trouble in these conditions. I run 4wd when needed and run 2wd 99% of the time. I only use the 4wd when absolutely necessary. My grandfather told me this from his experience running power lines in the North West. Stay safe!
              What was his reasoning?

Comment

80 forgot to turn it off for an hour. I think its not just a speed thing but more of a how LONG have you had it in four wheel while drive over 60. My tires take the most damage when operating in four wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
                  What was his reasoning?
                  You might be tempted to drive where you probably shouldn't, or faster than you should, is most likely what he meant.

Comment

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Drove in 4HI all the way from Orla Texas to Kyle Texas. Never went over 55mph, probably avg 40mph for the whole trip. I was told by a bunch of guys to not go over 55mph. took 18hrs with a 4hr Sleep over at a rest stop outside of junction. 2018 Chevy 2500hd D-max. Snow and ice the whole way. Used my exhaust brake as way to slow the truck down without using the Brakes. Never got sideways or felt in Danger. Truck handled it very wheel. Maybe it was the tires BF KO2s.

Comment

Originally posted by rbsears View Post
                        Whatever my manual says. I know. I’m a boring rule follower when it comes to my vehicles.
                        I'm curious what your manual says.

Comment

My Dodge 2500 work truck stays in 4H all winter in NoDak. Run 80mph regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                            Pretty slow if the roads are bad enough to need 4x4.
                            This!

Comment

I asked the dealer that very question and they said there wasn't a top speed spec'd. That was for my '05 Ram 1500. They just said no shifting into 4H above 55mph

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Just read owners manual front to back concerning 4wd....nothing about speed in 4hi but mentions no dry pavement about 15 times.

Comment

Working...
                                X