Stupid ammo question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid ammo question.

Can I shoot any .357 or .38 special through a Henry Lever action. 357 ?

Or do I stay away from fmj, steel case, and semi-jkt hp ?

Thanks, D.

Yes you can shoot 38 through a 357 just not the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
      Yes you can shoot 38 through a 357 just not the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      ^^^This^^^

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post
        Or do I stay away from fmj, steel case, and semi-jkt hp ?
        Some things will feed better than others, like LeverEvolution versus a standard HP, but all the stuff you listed above should work. Steel vs brass is a separate issues, but either should function.

Comment

I see 4 questions there.

I don't know about the steel cases. You might check with Henry on that one. But the rest you shouldn't have a problem with. Just make sure if you shoot a lot of 38 through it, that there's not much build up in the case chamber. I ran into a problem once with a used .357Mag that someone had shot a whole lot of 38 through. So much that it wouldn't chamber a 357 round and close properly. Had I forced it and shot a cylinder full, it might have come a part. I had to really clean and clean on that cylinder to get all that caked up gunk out of each chamber so that a 357 round would fit in each.

A few .38 now and then ain't gonna hurt it though.

Comment

This may hearsay, and I don’t want to pass along bad info, but I don’t think you are supposed to put FMJs in a tubular magazine of a lever gun. I had a Rossi 44 and I remember that from years ago. Maybe it’s just pointed FMJs, and flat nose are okay, which is more typical of the cartridges that lever guns are usually made to shoot.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Comment

Originally posted by DocHolliday View Post
              This may hearsay, and I don’t want to pass along bad info, but I don’t think you are supposed to put FMJs in a tubular magazine of a lever gun. I had a Rossi 44 and I remember that from years ago. Maybe it’s just pointed FMJs, and flat nose are okay, which is more typical of the cartridges that lever guns are usually made to shoot.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
              I I started to post the same thing yesterday but held back…

I bought a Marlin 1895c .357 lever action in about 1976 (still have it) and I am fairly certain the manual at that time said no fmj/ball ammo. Any validity to the recoil setting off a primer of the next round in the tube?

I have no clue. Maybe it was a lawsuit warning. Please don’t do this and blame us!!

Comment

"FMJ" pretty much just describes that the core of the bullet is fully encased. Right? There may be some FMJ non-point point bullets I don't know about.

I think the issue is no "pointy" (spitzer or ball) bullets allowed in a tubular magazine. In my levers I use only flap point solids or flat nose hollow point bullets.

Comment

The biggest issue with steel case would be feeding possibly. I would think any factory production.38/357 would be perfectly fine to shoot in it. It’s always been said that you should only shoot flat nosed bullets in tube fed guns because the ammunition is stacked with bullets touching the primer of the next round. Hornady makes a lever action safe spire point bullet called lever evolution. To my knowledge that is the only pointed bullet factory loaded for guns chambered in lever gun calibers.

Comment

Stupid ammo question.

Good responses, tvc sjp and srk.
                    That’s what I was remembering, and I also don’t think I’ve ever seen pointed FMJ in revolver/lever calibers. A quick google search does show flat nose FMJ in 357.

I will say that the lever revolution does cycle really well. I had trouble with the wide nose 240gr HPs, of course that was 44, but the wider bullets may not cycle really well. Your Henry is probably good to go, though.

Comment

You should be able to shoot most any 357 Magnum or 38 Special ammo through a 357 Mag. lever gun. There may be some hard pointed projectiles I don't remember out there for a 357, that should not be loaded in a tubular magazine. But for the most part a jacketed hollow point, jacketed soft point, both flat nose and round nose are fine Along with the full metal jacketed truncated 357s, are fine. The fmj 38 special round nose military loads, really should be safe, but those could potentially be dangerous, if the gun was slammed hard on it's butt plate. Then the modern Hornady Leverevolution ammo with the pointed plastic tip, are supposed to be safe and should be, as long as the gun is not hit very hard on the butt end of the gun.

Now how well each type of ammo will feed in your gun, you will just have to try them to find out.

Comment

Glad I read this.

Have been shooting FMJ 38’s in my lever gun. No issues yet, but dang sure done want to risk it. Will save those for the wheel gun.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                          Glad I read this.

Have been shooting FMJ 38’s in my lever gun. No issues yet, but dang sure done want to risk it. Will save those for the wheel gun.

If the point of the bullet is flat or at least semi flat, they should be safe

Comment

A lot of the semi was cutters won't feed in a lever action, also some of the big hollopoints will hang up.

Comment

When I was reloading way way way back......
                              Hornady head a load specifically made for the lever action Marlin. It was hotter than the handgun load.

My memory is fading but I think you could load a 125gr round up to around 2100 fps. I deer hunted with those handloads several times trying to take a white tail. I never got a shot but I usually huntedinside 50 yards And thought that would do the trick.. I have a friend who did kill one with the exact same model.

Comment

Working...
                              X