What should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I do?

I’m a mechanical engineer. I went to UT and got my ME degree in 2005 after I got out of the Marine Corps. Worked my asp off and have a girl that graduated La Tech last May with a degree in Biomedical Engineering. She had a job upon graduation

The middle boy is a senior at UT and has kept a 3.92 GPA in Mechanical Engineering. He was so impressive that his advisors recommended him to Encor Energy as an intern and after 2 years of interning they have offered him a job at just shy of $90k and pay him $30/hr to work remote while he is in school.

He has totally jacked up his senior year by working for them and didn’t focus on his senior project. I could have my guys knock the programming out for his project in 3 weeks.

He doesn’t get the $90k job without his ME degree. He can’t do the programming in this short of time.

Do I do it for him or let him fail and pay for another year of school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do it!!

Comment

IMO make him earn the degree.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

That's a hard one. Seems like you know it isn't right or you wouldn't have posted it here. We want the best for our kids, but I'd rather let him experience failure then to sell out his integrity. "Trust is cheap to give away but once gone you can't afford to buy it back."

With a 3.92 gpa he isn't a fool and knew the consequences of his actions. I'd definitely recommend he speak with his recruiter.

Comment

Since you started this thread I'd say he's going to have to extend his schooling.

The internet is vicious and no way I'd risk him being kicked out of school over someone else completing his project.

Comment

I think he's earned what he needs to earn....and then some. The fact that his awesomeness got him hooked up with a job already certainly means something. I'd get that biz knocked out and get that young man on his way! Sure sounds like it wouldn't be a problem for him to accomplish. Why take on so much more debt when he's proved himself?....is how I look at it. Ain't like he was screwin' off or slackin' and caused this lil situation. School is already way overpriced anyhoo. Just consider him an athlete.....that needed a lil help buttoning up that one last paper.
            Last edited by Smokeater; 01-28-2021, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a good college graduation gift to me.

Now with that said my dad taught me if you tell someone you’re going to do something then you do it and always arrive early when you’re meeting someone. My boy is 6 and I’m teaching him those lessons now. At the end of the day you already know what decision you’re going to make for him. Stick to your gun and know it will be what’s best for him.
              Last edited by Ladder034; 01-28-2021, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                I’m a mechanical engineer. I went to UT and got my ME degree in 2005 after I got out of the Marine Corps. Worked my asp off and have a girl that graduated La Tech last May with a degree in Biomedical Engineering. She had a job upon graduation

The middle boy is a senior at UT and has kept a 3.92 GPA in Mechanical Engineering. He was so impressive that his advisors recommended him to Encor Energy as an intern and after 2 years of interning they have offered him a job at just shy of $90k and pay him $30/hr to work remote while he is in school.

He has totally jacked up his senior year by working for them and didn’t focus on his senior project. I could have my guys knock the programming out for his project in 3 weeks.

He doesn’t get the $90k job without his ME degree. He can’t do the programming in this short of time.

Tough spot. If it were me I would lay it all out. Your team will help him but he will be right along side leading the way. No hanging out with friends, no time off, he leads the project and you will be here for guidance and backup. But to do it for him sets a bad example

Comment

And that may very well be what’s wrong with our “everyone gets a trophy” generation(s). So far the consensus is to cheat to make it easier on him. SMH

Comment

I vowed to never enable my children’s bad decisions...even as they entered adulthood.

Dealt with this (academic) and he is going a semester longer than expected....lesson learned

Comment

What you should do is beg the mods to remove this thread! You have posted enough data in it that it would be very easy for his employer, his prof, the Dean, others to see this thread and see what dishonest intentions may lie ahead for anyone who'd put their trust in him...

Not too smart in this day and age to post up asking for advice on whether or not to cheat/steal a degree, job or anything...

Comment

Let him fail and let him pay for it. Brother, I know you love your son. But this world doesn’t. And you won’t always be here. We have a special needs son that I tell that to at least once a month. “You have to learn to do this yourself son! Dad won’t always be here”. What type of father would I be if I didn’t push my son to be his best. He sacks groceries at HEB and despite his disabilities he’s worked his way into more hours, on his own.
                        Last edited by Hogmauler; 01-28-2021, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post

This is wrong on so many levels. The gross violation of ethics aside, the damage to his reputation should his subterfuge be discovered is the kind of thing careers are ruined over. I wouldn’t think it would be worth the risk.

Comment

Do you own your own company? If not, you also have the ethical dilemma of having your employees work on something that is not in the interest of the company writing their checks.

Comment

I had a long drawn out response but erased before hitting submit button. So I will just leave this meme.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X