6.5 Ammo Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 Ammo Question

I have a mom and daughter coming in to hunt elk this weekend. They had planned on using a 243 so I offered up my 6.5 instead. Being a bow Hunter I never use it and realized I only had one bullet. I haven’t been able to find any for two weeks so the guys that came last weekend sold me a box of 140 grain Hornady Match. A search online produced mixed results so I’m asking people I trust.
    Would you use this ammo on an elk?
    Would anyone be willing to trade for another type of ammo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably no help since I’ve never been elk hunting, but I would not be comfortable shooting 6.5. I know it’s a great little cartridge, but also think shot placement would be key. Personally I would shoot my 308 or comparable.

Comment

For whitetail/pigs, yes. Elk, no. And that's only if it's Hornady ELD-M match ammo (pretty much the same as AMAX). The 6.5 will be better than the .243 but needs to be an actual hunting bullet for elk. ELD-X, Accubond, Fusion, etc. & shot placement will still be very important. Be prepared for follow up shots. I shoot 6.5 but I'd want something bigger for elk.

*ETA*
      What is that 1 bullet? Worst case scenario, if it's a quality hunting bullet make it the first round fired followed up by the other ammo (if the other is ELD-X).
      Last edited by LFD2037; 01-18-2021, 09:14 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't personlly use 6.5 CM on an elk, and if I had to it definitely wouldn't be with a match bullet.

Comment

We have had several hunters use the 6.5 with great results. But with different ammo. 143 ELDX and American Whitetail

Comment

6.5 CM is fine for elk -better than .243. Match ammo I wouldn’t use.

I’m sure some one on here has an extra box they can get you.

Comment

Not Match ammo on game - especially elk size game

Comment

A good lung shot works great on Elk with 6.5 CM with hunting bullets but not necessarily match bullets

Comment

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post
                  Not Match ammo on game - especially elk size game
                  The ELD-M has proven itself for deer & pigs, just like the AMAX did.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                    We have had several hunters use the 6.5 with great results. But with different ammo. 143 ELDX and American Whitetail

No doubt the 6.5 will work on elk, it's just on the smaller size for elk. Best option is a solid bullet that mushrooms well on the heavy end (140+) of the 6.5 spectrum.

Comment

Shot my bull with 6.5CM used 143ELD-X, had no issue, dropped him.

Comment

So it looks like Match ammo is out. Anyone have a box they would sell or trade? This mom is doing all she can to get her girl into the outdoors so any help is greatly appreciated.
                        Im donating the guide tip and doing the processing for them but none of that means a thing of I can’t get good ammo.

Comment

I’ll trade the entire box of Match for half a box of ELDX.

Comment

I’ll check in the morning, may have a box of nosler 140gr ballistic tips I’ll sell/trade ta to help out.

I’d much rather have accusing or partitions for elk but BT will be much better than a match bullet

Comment

I would shot the 243 with a premium bullet, Barnes or a Partition or something similar. Many an elk have been killed with one get close and out it in the lungs.

Comment

Working...
                              X