Hog Stand Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog Stand Suggestions

Tired of the hogs, they are becoming a very large PIA. Going to set up a designated hog stand on the south end of large pond. I'm thinking a hanging spinner, some corn to go in the water, to slow them down some. Spin only at noon so I can hung the afternoons. Ground blind about 40 yards away, slightly uphill, easy, quiet access. Thoughts on using a 12 gauge with #00 buck or a .22 bolt with a can? Thanks,

Traps are the most effective way to get rid of hogs. But man they are fun to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
      Traps are the most effective way to get rid of hogs. But man they are fun to shoot.

Agree 100%

Comment

The most efficient methods for hog removal are likely trapping (in large pens), and shooting with thermals. Feeding can concentrate them enough to kill a few, but will encourage more to stick around your place.

But yes, buckshot works. As does an AR with a full mag.

Comment

Buckshot works wonders.
          As others have said, trapping is the only way to put a dent in them. It’s fun to shoot them and they taste great, but you will never make a dent in them just by shooting. Best traps are ones where you control the gate drop. Goal is to only drop it once and catch the whole 20+ sounder and leave no survivors. Good luck!

Comment

LMAO!! I think you are living in my shadows, but I am one step ahead of you. Here is my after hours setup. With the exception of not using a spinner, although I could, I have a few extra feeders. My setup is 60yards off of my cabin porch. So when my orange light goes off, the rifles go bang.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Comment

If I had hog problems....I wouldn’t be setting up a dedicated place to feed them!

Comment

Just quit feeding them. A hog stand just gives them a place to go... where they are safe 25 days a month and where 30 will congregate for few to be shot

Comment

I love shooting them with my bow. I also think it helps with the nervousness of shooting an animal vs a target. The more practice I get shooting hogs the less nervous (buck fever) I have.

Comment

I personally never had much luck with 00#at 40y they get hit with a pellet or 2.But odds of a killing shot and or finding kill are slim if they die at all..Now at 20y there pretty deadly...I killed and found way more with 22 in earhole..with a suppressor it might be exciting..but I have not..

Comment

00 buck at 20-30 yards works great. The more pressure you put on them will push them off....for a week or two.

I have also experimented with setting up "pig spots" on the outside of my hunting area and keeping "deer spot" towards the inside. Been working pretty good. When the pigs start hitting the outside spots we hammer them with 00 and shoot as many as we can as fast as we can.

Comment

Thanks all. Appreciate the input

Comment

Working...
                        X