Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do u go about telling a parent she cannot drive anyore due to safety reasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do u go about telling a parent she cannot drive anyore due to safety reasons

Just dropped off my mom at airport but she will probably miss her flight.

She got in a small fender bender on way to my home. She was lost and confused.

Lately I see more dings and scratches on her small suv.

Guy she hit was nice and did not want her to miss her flight. Only his mirror was damaged. I told him get an estimate and I will take care of it. He told she did mot even realize she hit him.

I need to talk to my brothers about this. They live out of town.

So how have any of you handled taking away driving duties to your parents?

Btw, i live in Pflugerville and she is in Jarrell.

Thanks

Manny

In for the responses. My stepdad is at that point also. His truck looks like a demolition derby vehicle. He lives with my sister and she is beside herself on how to handle it. I tell her just take the keys away and tell him no more. But I don’t have to deal with the heart break. He’s 87 and hasn’t depended on anyone since he left home at 14.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Unfortunately the best way is to be direct explain your reasons and how she doesn’t want to be the one to harm others. Good luck

Comment

Prayers for wisdom and understanding. My Mother and MIL are getting to this point and I know its going to be a fight one day.

Comment

Yeah, I don't look forward to that day myself. Think my wife is ready to have her keys pulled and she's only 43!

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
            Unfortunately the best way is to be direct explain your reasons and how she doesn’t want to be the one to harm others. Good luck
            This. I would be ****** if someone just took my keys. But if they come to me and make me receptive to their message, I would be much more likely to give up my keys.

Good Luck OP, getting old is fun for no one.

Comment

My gramp refused to listen until he ran right into a huge yellow hummer at an intersection...said if he can hit that, he could kill a pedestrian. He was 90.

Comment

Been through this with a grandfather years ago. We had to take the keys away.

Best way imo is to make them understand that they are a danger to other people and they can easily cause injuries to people even children in other vehicles

Comment

We got lucky with our dad. He was 90 when his car took a dump. He had me come over to look at it. He wanted to buy a new car and I asked him why? My sister lived with him and took him to all his appointments, shopping, etc.. Why do you need another car. He looked at me and told me I was right. Pitched the keys in the floor of the car and called someone to haul it off.

Comment

Start with, "I love you mom"...………………..
                    prayers for ya...……..

Comment

My mom had two accidents in and around Houston. After the first accident I told her I didn't think it was a good idea if she continued driving in Houston. She was upset at me for insinuating that she couldn't handle the hustle/bustle of Houston. She kept driving to Houston. After the second accident, I said "now you know why I suggested you not drive in Houston?" She was perturbed again. But she didn't drive anywhere but within 15-20 miles of where we live (south of Houston). These are all places/roads she is familiar with. She also toned down how aggressive she drove. I think outta fear that she would have another accident and I/we would for sure take her keys away completely. Her health has deteriorated now and she doesn't drive at all. You have my sympathy. Good luck.

Comment

From a distance.

Comment

It’s tough first my grandpa, then my mom now my MIL , sitting here waiting to help her run to do errands, freedom is a hard thing to give up and is a burden to help them be safe
                          Praying for some peace

Comment

Somebody ask Senor Burnadell how it was broke to him

Comment

Daddy got out of hospital and we took it away, wasn't there when he got home and we told him no more driving. No nice way, sadly you become the parent.

Comment

Working...
                              X