Chevy Lifter/Cam Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
    Thanks! Any idea what this might run ...$$?
    The texas speed kit? Or top engine clean and tune?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Speed kit

Comment

2 cans of STP and trade that sucker in on a ram or ford!

Hope you get it worked out.

Comment

Speed kit

Comment

Originally posted by KNP16 View Post
            Symptoms were knocking noise in/around the block that started a few weeks ago. After taking it to the shop and hooking it up to diagnostics it showed issues with #7 (per the mechanic). He’s done several of these so seemed to know what he was talking about. Going to get a second opinion at some point this week before committing to the repair. But seems like a common issue from talking with the mechanic and everything I have read (including here) and the way to go is aftermarket cam and removal of DOD.
            Originally posted by Flex View Post
            Easiest way is to just get the Texas speed kit. Delete all the garbage, drop in a cam, and tune it.

I did the top engine cleaner GM tech bulletin on mine and then turned off AFM via tuning. Have not had any issues since. And hopefully continue not too.

Too the OP. That sucks on such a "new " vehicle. I would stay on the dealer and see about them at least covering a chunk of it. It's a very common issue unfortunately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
            Speed kit

Looking about $2500 for a full install with tune, look up Warhorse Performance in Hewitt, they do these swaps all the time. The swap is the absolute best way to go about fixing the issue. ANy shop can do the swap, but you definitely want a good tune to get the most out of the swap, they are also fixing to add a dyno so you can get real performance work done as well. No affiliation with them, just been around a lot of their work.

FB link https://www.facebook.com/Warhorseperformance/
            Last edited by KDinTX; 01-07-2020, 07:16 AM.

Comment

When did GM stop warrantying the powertrain to 100k miles?! My 2010 was to 100k.

Not that it helps OP, but GM has stopped with the AFM for the most part. There are a few trucks that still have it, but they have the 6 speed. the new system will shut down individual cylinders, and is supposed to resolve the AFM issue.

Comment

Tina's 2014 started doing it.
                The mom/pop shop that we use, did a patch by putting a spacer, somewhere. It didn't work.

We traded it in.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                  2 cans of STP and trade that sucker in on a ram or ford!

Hope you get it worked out.
                  Really thought about this as well, but was told (from a good friend of mine that works at a dealership in the DFW area) it is a very well known issue by pretty much any car dealership and they will check any vehicle like this throughly. Idk how deep they will go but whatever the mechanic was looking at yesterday showed a problem on #7.
                  Last edited by KNP16; 01-07-2020, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                    When did GM stop warrantying the powertrain to 100k miles?! My 2010 was to 100k.

Not that it helps OP, but GM has stopped with the AFM for the most part. There are a few trucks that still have it, but they have the 6 speed. the new system will shut down individual cylinders, and is supposed to resolve the AFM issue.
                    Powertrain on this vehicle is 60,000 miles. The vehicle currently has 73k.

Comment

Powertrain on this vehicle is 60,000 miles. The vehicle currently has 73k.
                      Sorry, I completely believe you, that just surprised me. I hope they will good will fix it for you. I have always had good luck with GM and warranty issues, but never kept one past the warranty.

Comment

Really thought about this as well, but was told (from a good friend of mine that works at a dealership in the DFW area) it is a very well known issue by pretty much any car dealership and they will check any vehicle like this throughly. Idk how deep they will go but whatever the mechanic was looking at yesterday showed a problem on #7.
                        $20 plus an oil change after if needed. Worth a try. Car salesmen are pretty stupid

Comment

Make sure you get an actual dod delete kit and not just have it turned off through a tune. It will still cause problems unless you actually have it removed

Comment

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post
                            Looking about $2500 for a full install with tune, look up Warhorse Performance in Hewitt, they do these swaps all the time. The swap is the absolute best way to go about fixing the issue. ANy shop can do the swap, but you definitely want a good tune to get the most out of the swap, they are also fixing to add a dyno so you can get real performance work done as well. No affiliation with them, just been around a lot of their work.

FB link https://www.facebook.com/Warhorseperformance/
                            Chris is a good dude! We’ve helped eachother a bit on different projects throughout the years!

Comment

I’m sure it looks like this. Hemi engines have the same problem. Welcome to another wonderful EPA caused issue of trying to say they get better MPH. I thankfully had max care cover it. Ran about $4200 from dealer. I paid $100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
                                I’m sure it looks like this. Hemi engines have the same problem. Welcome to another wonderful EPA caused issue of trying to say they get better MPH. I thankfully had max care cover it. Ran about $4200 from dealer. I paid $100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                I had three Hemi’s in a row come in with the same issue, two 6.4’s and a 5.7L. Set them all up with cam setups from MMX.

Have had two of the Gen. V LT’s fail, but haven’t had either wipe the cam out. Both lifters collapsed, mushroomed, and stuck in their bores. The LS’s we have had in have absolutely destroyed their cam/pushrods however. Just depends on how long it was driven damaged.

Comment

Working...
                                X