Price of 10K gold jewelry per gram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price of 10K gold jewelry per gram

A trusted family member has a 10k gold Cuban link chain they are needing to sell. The chain weighs 156 grams. What’s average price per gram for such a chain?

Rick

$48.62 per the googler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pure 10k gold is about .410 pure but most shops will pay .379

So gold is $1,510 for a pure oz
      10k at .379 is $572 an ounce
      28.35 grams to ounce
      $20.18 per gram
      Now just depends what percentage of that a shop will pay but anywhere from 70-80% probably

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
        Pure 10k gold is about .410 pure but most shops will pay .379

So gold is $1,510 for a pure oz
        10k at .379 is $572 an ounce
        28.35 grams to ounce
        $20.18 per gram
        Now just depends what percentage of that a shop will pay but anywhere from 70-80% probably
        But is that for a good bar or a tooled chain which requires labor?

Comment

Originally posted by rickgarcia76 View Post
          But is that for a good bar or a tooled chain which requires labor?

Most shops could care less about the piece and are just buying the gold for scrap but you might get lucky and find someone that wants the piece

Comment

Two different ask. Value or spot/scrap. Value might be more depending on the look. Scrap is scrap, goes in a bucket and is melted down.

Comment

I’m talking about a chain which will remain a chain. Not scrap.

Comment

Johnathan's Fine Jewelry is a sponsor on here-send him a PM

Comment

My experience is that unless the precious metal has something other than just precious metal like diamonds, artwork, other jewels or a rare piece. The person buying could care less, they are buying/offering at scrap prices. IF you are able to find someone that wants that item and you are able to get retail. Then by all means go ahead. 10K is like 40% Gold.
                  Kind of like trade in value versus private sale of your truck.

Comment

I don’t think he is trying to insult you on the ‘scrap’ comment, but for what you are asking, any shop is going to pay you for the gold Callie only, they don’t care what it is. They are going to lump it all together and melt it down to sell as a lump or make what they want with the gold. Those prices people are offering up are for that type scenario. If the chain, as is, is something unique a shop might want to clean up and sell, they may be willing to offer you more than just the price of gold.

Comment

Originally posted by ccolley68 View Post
                      I don’t think he is trying to insult you on the ‘scrap’ comment, but for what you are asking, any shop is going to pay you for the gold Callie only, they don’t care what it is. They are going to lump it all together and melt it down to sell as a lump or make what they want with the gold. Those prices people are offering up are for that type scenario. If the chain, as is, is something unique a shop might want to clean up and sell, they may be willing to offer you more than just the price of gold.
                      I hope it wasn't taken that way, in no way was I trying to insult

Comment

If it makes any difference, and it may not, this is a transaction from individual to individual for a chain that will remain a chain. A lot of people purchase these Cuban link chains so I presume there is some value there on top of the price of gold itself? But correct me if I’m wrong, I’m just assuming.

I guess I’m looking for private party value and not trade-in value (cars).

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                          I hope it wasn't taken that way, in no way was I trying to insult
                          Not at all. We’re good.

Comment

Originally posted by rickgarcia76 View Post
                            If it makes any difference, and it may not, this is a transaction from individual to individual for a chain that will remain a chain. A lot of people purchase these Cuban link chains so I presume there is some value there on top of the price of gold itself? But correct me if I’m wrong, I’m just assuming.

I guess I’m looking for private party value and not trade-in value (cars).
                            In that case, you are looking more along the lines of appraised value versus gold value. Most jewelry shops will appraise jewelry for insurance purposes. Most will charge a slight fee, but if you have a relationship with a jeweler, maybe they will give you a ballpark retail value to use

Comment

pure gold is 24k. 10k gold would be 10/24 pure so do the math as far as the gold. this chain is .35 pounds so it must be a REALLY big and thick one like Mr. T style. None the less it is a "gold value" of $500-600 easily which is all you will get trying to sell but it probably costs $1000-1500 new. Retail is what someone will pay for it and wholesale is what the math says it is worth. For you to decide.

Comment

Working...
                              X