No announcement yet.

Winchester Legend 350

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part of my decision to purchase was based on a landowner who lives close to where I deer hunt. He is killing a lot of hogs with his 350. He too is well pleased with the gun/caliber performance with very limited recoil.

Comment

The Legend basically duplicates the 357 Maximum. It uses a rimless case, so it feeds in repeaters. Bolt guns and semiautomatic as well. With a 180 gr bullet at 2K fps, it is a legitimate 200 yard rifle. I built an AR with a 18 inch barrel, and it literally will shoot 3 holes touching at 80 yards. That's all the distance I have in the yard. Hope to check it out on a deer tonight.

Comment

I was about to build a 300 blk when I saw the 350 legend. Checked the ballistics out, seen they had subs for it and was very interested. Put one together and it has absolutely hammered the pigs I've shot with it. As soon as they get subs in stock somewhere I will see how they do with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo View Post
          The reason is unreasonable at best

I’m sure it is but I’ve never really heard a good explanation of why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by KNP16 View Post
            I was about to build a 300 blk when I saw the 350 legend. Checked the ballistics out, seen they had subs for it and was very interested. Put one together and it has absolutely hammered the pigs I've shot with it. As soon as they get subs in stock somewhere I will see how they do with them.

I don’t understand why people waste their time with subs for hunting unless you are going to go really big bore and heavy.

Anything 230 grains or less is going to be like using a 45ACP.

Comment

I hunt Ohio and they love them up there!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                I don’t understand why people waste their time with subs for hunting unless you are going to go really big bore and heavy.

Anything 230 grains or less is going to be like using a 45ACP.

Well the Winchester subs for the 350 legend are 265 grains and would be used for pigs only for the most part. I'm not hugely concerned if they run off and die or not to be honest. I'm already running mine suppressed and it should be whisper quite with subs.

Comment

I still am not sure why somebody living outside of the straight wall states would want one? Other than to just have one, which is fine. There are better options in an AR platform. And in a bolt action, a 308 or pretty much anything smokes it.

Comment

Well the Winchester subs for the 350 legend are 265 grains and would be used for pigs only for the most part. I'm not hugely concerned if they run off and die or not to be honest. I'm already running mine suppressed and it should be whisper quite with subs.

The energy is still going to be very low, like well under 500#.

In contrast my 458 Socom shooting 500 grain subs at 1050fps is over 1200# of energy.

I won’t comment on the run off and die part but that’s not my personal goal when I go hunting.

Comment

The energy is still going to be very low, like well under 500#.

In contrast my 458 Socom shooting 500 grain subs at 1050fps is over 1200# of energy.

I won’t comment on the run off and die part but that’s not my personal goal when I go hunting.

According to ballistic charts at 100 yards it’s pushing the 265 grain bullet at close to 600 lbs of energy. That’s plenty for what I’m trying to do and quite a bit more then a 300 blk. You really can’t bring a 458 socom into the convo because that is a completely different round where a box of subs or just fmjs can run you 50 bucks or more. Sure it’s a nice round and has more energy with subs heck it should with a 2.50-3 dollar a shell round. My only personal goal when I go to kill hogs is kill as many as possible period. Whether they run 200 yards and die is really little of my concern. I’m not there to make a recovery I’m there to keep them from continuing to tear up countless acres of my personal land. I’m not trying to argue about the round. It has its flaws no doubts but for what I want, it checks most of my boxes.

Comment

I’m sure it is but I’ve never really heard a good explanation of why.

Mike, supposedly they are looking for a reasonable combination of killing power without the danger of overtravel of the bullet in heavily populated states. Thus, the search for a cartridge that will still have enough umph to kill at close to medium ranges and not wind up in the neighbors yard 1,000 yards away. And, I imagine, to placate the hunters wanting to use rifles to hunt deer. That’s the explanation I read.

Comment

According to ballistic charts at 100 yards it’s pushing the 265 grain bullet at close to 600 lbs of energy. That’s plenty for what I’m trying to do and quite a bit more then a 300 blk. You really can’t bring a 458 socom into the convo because that is a completely different round where a box of subs or just fmjs can run you 50 bucks or more. Sure it’s a nice round and has more energy with subs heck it should with a 2.50-3 dollar a shell round. My only personal goal when I go to kill hogs is kill as many as possible period. Whether they run 200 yards and die is really little of my concern. I’m not there to make a recovery I’m there to keep them from continuing to tear up countless acres of my personal land. I’m not trying to argue about the round. It has its flaws no doubts but for what I want, it checks most of my boxes.
                          You need a 22LR. Just put it in the guts, cheap, no recoil. It will drop them in their tracks with a head shot. J/K btw.
                          Last edited by panhandlehunter; 11-22-2019, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                            You need a 22LR. Just put it in the guts, cheap, no recoil. It will drop them in their tracks with a head shot. J/K btw.
                            I’m by no means trying to just wound animals. I want to make a lethal and ethical kill as much as the next guy. But it’s not my biggest concern when I’m trying to kill as many hogs as possible. But 600 lbs of energy 100 yards and in will be just fine and will be lethal.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                              Mike, supposedly they are looking for a reasonable combination of killing power without the danger of overtravel of the bullet in heavily populated states. Thus, the search for a cartridge that will still have enough umph to kill at close to medium ranges and not wind up in the neighbors yard 1,000 yards away. And, I imagine, to placate the hunters wanting to use rifles to hunt deer. That’s the explanation I read.
                              This is correct. ^^

Its a long standing tradition in Iowa to "push" creek bottoms with groups of hunters....in other words.... deer drives during the two shotgun (straight wall seasons). Here in Iowa its called party hunting. Basically anyone in the group can shoot the deer as long as there are tags unfilled.

A lot of the hunting is done on small farms, near county roads, near primary roads and near towns. Certainly a person could be killed by an errant .12 ga slug or a .450 Bushmaster round, but when the "orange army" converges on the landscape in early December having longer range high powered rifles ups the danger factor.

This will be the 3rd year straight wall certain straight wall cartridges have been legal in Iowa. The .450 Bushmaster seems to be the cartridge of choice with the .45-70 coming in 2nd. The .350 Legend is getting a lot of interest and the local gun shops are selling all they can get.

I am thinking about getting a Mossburg Patriot or Ruger American in .450 Bushmaster.

Comment

What barrel are people buying that are getting good groups?
                                Not wanting to break the bank though.

Comment

Working...
                                X