What caliber to buy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crash8005 View Post
    Last year I bought 3. 7mm-08, 6.5 creed and 22-250. By far, hands down, the 22-250 is my favorite. It shoots heavy bullets so well. Here is a photo of a group out of that 22-250. The 7mm-08 is my go to for deer and pigs.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That’s pretty impressive.

Comment

.22-250 or .243. I've shot several deer with a .243 and had good results. My brother has shot two pretty large axis bucks with a .243 and both dropped in their tracks. I've seen one neck shot doe with a .22-250 and it was devastating. I wouldn't hesitate using either

Comment

Get a creedmore and suppressor if this is really a kid gun.
        I bought a compass on sale last year at academy and it is very accurate
        Comes threaded.

I am a .270 guy, but love to shoot the 6.5.

Comment

Creedmore or the 7mm-08 will do it all with light recoil. 6.5 ammo seems to be cheaper in the stores.

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
            Ttt. Bringing up an old thread. Ended up not buying anything last year but am back in the market.

I’m really leaning towards a 223 just because I can buy ammo so much cheaper and would like a gun that is cheap to shoot for target practice.

However, I’m also thinking about getting another 6.5 cm and have one sighted in for target bullets (Hornady black) and the other sighted in for hunting bullets.

Then I go back to the idea of a 22-250 or 243 as a rifle that me and the kids can shoot and can be used as a deer rifle.

Anyone else have suggestions/thoughts?

I’m all over the place. Help me out here.
            the 7mm08 will do anything the 243 will do and do it better at any range,,, recoil is not that much more and the round is way more effective at longer ranges than the 243,,and i believe they also make reduced recoil loads for it also, if it is still about the kids the 22-250 is a good choice and if you could find one the 250 savage is also very good,,, the Grendel is a good in between round,,,, enough for hogs and deer with much heavier bullets than the 243 has and light enough for some varmint work ,,,, just as the 250 savage is..
            if you have an ar, an upper in 6.5 Grendel would be a very good choice and you can swap it out for .223 all the way to 458 Socom which is a hog thumper supreme and will not take you shoulder off,,,, its easy to swap upper out for what ever the occasion might be .... go back to a long barrel .223 and blast prairie dogs or even a .204 Ruger,,, get a 450 bushmaster ,458 Socom or the newer 375 round and hunt anything you want

Comment

7mm/08

Comment

For your intended uses....223 if you shoot alot. 243 will also do well. Either caliber will work on Texas game. But definitely aren't the best. I'm old school and still think the 243 is hard to beat for varmit to deer. If larger are possible I prefer 308.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

243 is a great caliber that will kill anything that needs killing with little recoil!

Comment

.22/250. You have everything else you'd need in Texas covered, if not somewhat duplicated. You'll enjoy it for a truck gun.

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                      Ttt. Bringing up an old thread. Ended up not buying anything last year but am back in the market.

I’m really leaning towards a 223 just because I can buy ammo so much cheaper and would like a gun that is cheap to shoot for target practice.

However, I’m also thinking about getting another 6.5 cm and have one sighted in for target bullets (Hornady black) and the other sighted in for hunting bullets.

Then I go back to the idea of a 22-250 or 243 as a rifle that me and the kids can shoot and can be used as a deer rifle.

Anyone else have suggestions/thoughts?

I’m all over the place. Help me out here.
                      I got a 6.5 CM and I love it. Has less kick than a .270/.308. Insane knock down power. It's also got a hodge podge of bullet options. They have what they call a varmint round. It's like 95g.

Perfect for smaller animals and would be fun long range bullet.
                      Last edited by DeadEyeB; 11-01-2019, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X