X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive always expected more people here to know what my Handle is,
    since is pure Czech

Comment

My wife is Czech, but I probably speak more of it than she does... Her dad is still pretty good at the language, but it's not used that much around West as it once was...

Comment

We need to plan a trip to our homeland. I have a lot of family there. Before my grandpa died he made several trips.
        Amen to that. My wife has been to Prague for work . . .was back on 1998. She claims it is the most beautiful city she's ever been to. My dad was there in the military . . . .he said it reminded him of how it was in the US growing up . . . like it was 20 years behind, but familiar. I mean to go back . . .maybe when my pending man child can travel . . .gonna take dad with me so he can translate.

Anybody got a good Texas hookup for jaternice and jelitha?
        If you want some jaternice, we can make it happen. We make it every winter.

Comment

Let's take a trip. 1st annual TBH CZECH OUT "ZADNE PIVO JE BEZPECNY!" (NO BEER IS SAFE!) had to call grandma for everything but the pivo part. Only problem is we can't go around callin each other bohemians around there. We might get jumped...

Bily Lovec - White Hunter, spravne?
          Last edited by kck; 06-10-2010, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
            vítěz

Comment

That made me laugh Kulhanek! Not a bad idea . . . . may have to talk to Middleton and see if we can make it a sanctioned event.

Comment

My great grandmother came over with her family when she was young and was completely fluent. My grandfather stills knows quite a bit but has lost some over the years. He tries to teach me but without using it on a regular basis you forget a lot of it. My dad tells stories of my great grandmother fixing kolaches and pull-aparts every Sunday for them when they visited.

Comment

I think it could be a pretty cool family trip for everyone. Simek, your Dad will be the official TBH traslator! My old man and I have been wanting to go and see our family as I'm sure y'all would like to see yours. This would be the ultimate road trip!!!

Comment

My mothers maiden name was Trpak and my dad is Patak. My mother who is 80 is still alive as well as her two sisters that speak fluent czech. I take care of her on Friday and she still will talk czech and tell me things in the czech I ask her. Funny you started this thread, yesterday I just made a czech dish (Kobrava Mocka (spelling may be wrong).. it is with potatoes and dill gravy.. i had some fresh dill in the garden and decided to use it.. my grandparents and my mom always then boiled eggs to go with it to make it go further.. break up a few eggs, put the soup over it and grab a few slices of homemade bread.. my mother still makes homemade bread to this day... thanks for starting this thread.. my husband and I need to make the jaternice .... we do everything else in our smokehouse that our czech grandparents taught us.. we even have his grandfather's smokehouse.. he left that to Steve in his will... that was cool...we also still have a czech and polka radio show here in Ellis on every sunday hosted by Johnny Krajca....

Comment

Let's take a trip. 1st annual TBH CZECH OUT "ZADNE PIVO JE BEZPECNY!" (NO BEER IS SAFE!) had to call grandma for everything but the pivo part. Only problem is we can't go around callin each other bohemians around there. We might get jumped...

I have always been told we are Czech not bohemians

Comment

Regarding Czech music. . . . . growing up in eastern Williamson county, we have a family with the last name of Vrazel. Their kin started a pretty popular polka band . . . .the Vrazel Polka Band. Back in the day, they used to play at a place about a half mile from where my folks live . . .Moravian Hall in Corn Hill. My dad said that when they first started playing it was like when Led Zepelin released their first album in 1969 . . .mass hysteria. Pretty funny stuff . . . .

Comment

Did I hear mention of pivo? Now you're speakin MY language! Dad's side of the family speaks a mixture of German and Czech, but I haven't picked up very much.

Comment

We are, but since bohemians were the trashy gypsies of the Czech culture, it's kinda like any other race using a derogatory term to BS one another.

Comment

Originally posted by Barksdale Bandit View Post
                              My mother began life with Czech as her only language. Didn't learn English until she went to school. (dang rich immigrants! )

Anybody got a good Texas hookup for jaternice and jelitha?

Can still get some out of Chicago but it's muy expensive.

BTW De me pivo! (And I KNOW I spelled that wrong!) on edit: Dej mi pivo!!!
                              Yes I want a beer

Comment

Heard a bunch growing up. The only way grandma Luchak (Victorin) knew the rosary was in czech. When I was at at young age my mothers parents (Petrash /Macha) spoke english in such a thick accent i thought they did not know english.Parents used to speak. I know a handful of words... Still have tons of relatives in Hungerford, Wallis, East Bernard, Wharton, etc.

i wish I knew more, It is a dying language in the US. At my wedding 2 years ago I played (CD) some Al Grebnic music (czech vocals etc) because I like it and for my aunts and uncles who were in attendance.

Comment

Working...
                                X