Considering Puerto Rico this summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering Puerto Rico this summer

We are considering a vacation to PR this summer with our daughters. Has anyone been recently since the hurricanes? We would like to fish, play golf and hang in the pool with a nice beach within the property.

Would appreciate any recommendations.

Many Thanks

The PGA tour are playing there today and I work with a guy who went there last year I believe. Stay around the resorts and all is good from what I gather

Comment

Have you ever been? It is not my favorite when heading South. Islands off Belize and Costa Rica are more up my alley

Comment

Ritz Carlton Dorado Beach. Private beaches. Multiple pools. Great golf course. Some rooms have a small private pool right outside your patio door. Great restaurants. Great service.

Jen and I, and another couple, got stuck there when Hurricane Harvey hit Houston and we couldn't get a flight back home. Our 7 day vacation turned into 12 days and the resort was kind enough to discount our rooms, comped several meals and told us they were praying for our community. Little did they know, that just one month later their island home would be destroyed. My understanding is that the Ritz was throttled pretty bad and had to be nearly rebuilt. I'm sure it's just as beautiful and accommodating as before.

Comment

Are they even back together down there? I know it was a mess. I would go to Barbados or Belize. My buddy goes to Barbados and the place he stays you can get a maid, You tell her what you want to eat for dinner and she goes out and gets everything she needs and cooks.
          Last edited by Bassdeer; 02-28-2021, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            Have you ever been? It is not my favorite when heading South. Islands off Belize and Costa Rica are more up my alley
            No sir never been to PR. The wife and I were watching the golf tournament yesterday and thought hey why not PR. Southwest flies there ( I have a lot of points) and they are a US territory so no need for a passport. I thought it might be a good place to check out.

Comment

I still have lots of family there and things have mostly recovered. Admit I have not been since 2017. Our favorite spot was El Conquistador in Farjardo but it was devastated by Maria. Been reading that they are supposed to reopen in 2021 but I'll have a relative go lay eyes on the place before I book again.

Our other spot was the Embassy Suites at Dorado Del Mar. It's a haul from San Juan and you don't want to be driving that back and forth so if snorkel and fishing trips are your thing, stay in Fajardo or San Juan. If you like to chill at a nice pool and decent beach lagoon with a super manager's reception nightly, then do the Embassy during the week. On weekends the timeshare people from the condos flood the pool and beach there. It's a family crowd and good folks, just too crowded.

If you venture out to the west side of the island, there is a restaurant up on the cliff overlooking Jobos beach and the guy is a transplant Texan. He was actually selling brisket pastellios (empanadas) and brisket mofongo last time I was there. Kind of stole my idea on that

Comment

I dont want to fly out of the country anymore, now that you have to take a covid test to get back in the US. What if you get covid on vacation, no way I want to quarantine in a 3rd world country for a couple weeks. Will be staying stateside for a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
                  I dont want to fly out of the country anymore, now that you have to take a covid test to get back in the US. What if you get covid on vacation, no way I want to quarantine in a 3rd world country for a couple weeks. Will be staying stateside for a bit.
                  Covid test to and from PR is recommended, not mandatory.

We've VRBO'd there a few times and had a blast. Lots of beaches to choose from and boat rentals if you want. Condos with pools or hotels. Gonna wait a year or so before we do any flying, mostly because the wife is paranoid. I'd go in a heartbeat.

Comment

We did real well with Extreme Fishing when we were there. Tarpon from 10 to 50+ lbs.

Comment

I really enjoy Puerto Rico and USVI, I do not go in the summer though.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanoDano View Post
                        I really enjoy Puerto Rico and USVI, I do not go in the summer though.
                        Throw 'em both out the window and do the BVI's.

Comment

Wife and I went Dec 2018 and they had resort area cleaned up. It was evident other parts we’re gonna be a while before they were repaired but we had a great time. Still plenty to do and see.

Comment

Turks & Caicos another good option

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
                              If you are going somewhere that you would not want to spend an extra 2 weeks then you are going to the wrongs places.

Comment

Working...
                              X