Guys with Truck Bed Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jck View Post
    Why do some guys prefer the backflip over the retractable ones?

TBHer Humper has a retractable one and he's had issues with it rolling up going down the HWY and out on our rocky bumpy lease. When he told me he'd be going back to his flip on his next truck, I figured, I needed to go with a flip. Plus the access to the whole bed if needed.

Comment

I have a retrax on my work truck and bakflip on my personal and out of those two i would go with the bakflip simply because it does not eat up bed space. The diamondbacks are awesome i just don't like the center pivot and having to remove it to haul anything taller than the side rails.

Comment

Yep - I ditched the toolbox for a trifold bed cover. No regrets.

Trucks sit up so high now that you can't hardly use the tool box with out crawling up in the bed. No thanks. Now I have a 6.5' covered box that I can reach into. Mine's a sit on top cover and mounted with big wingnuts - whole thing comes off in about a minute and half when you need it to.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
          Did you weld the cover directly to the toolbox?
          No measured the outside of the box BELOW the lid.....measured then traced the dimensions onto the cover.....then used my skill saw to cut out the section of the cover so that I could slide the toolbox down through the cover. Once it fit tight I surrounded the perimeter of the cut out with a heavy duty rubber seal.....then slid the box back into the slot cutout with the toolbox restong on the seal....then tightened the toolbox back to the bed. So now the toolbox is sealed onto the cover with no h20 getting underneath with the trifold functioning like normal.
          Last edited by Slicefixer; 12-01-2020, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slicefixer View Post
            No measured the outside of the box BELOW the lid.....measured then traced the dimensions onto the cover.....then used my skill saw to cut out the section of the cover so that I could slide the toolbox down through the cover. Once it fit tight I surrounded the perimeter of the cut out with a heavy duty rubber seal.....then slid the box back into the slot cutout with the toolbox rested on the seal then tightened the toolbox back to the bed. So nowthe toolbox us sealed into the cover with no h20 getting underneath with the trifold functioning like normal.
            More pics please, maybe standing on your bumper looking down at where the box slides in

Comment

Originally posted by FireNguns View Post
              I really like the concept but don’t know what I would do with all the stuff in my toolbox.
              When I traded in my 2014 F-250 it took me over four hours to sort through everything in my tool box. I told myself never again. . I used to rib my friends that had bed covers but figured I would give it a shot. Bought a Retrax and love it. Have been to Florida three times (prior to Covid we always flew) and everything stays dry and secure. When it retracts/rolls up you have much ore bed room than with a tool box. Love it.

I left all my "ranch stuff" at the ranch and put a small tool box etc under the rear seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                I passed on the Diamondback as it wouldn't work for us (or the feed store hands) filling the bed with corn/protein without working around that center pivot and half open doors .....nor filling a feeder from the bed like we do. That being said they are some good looking mofos.
                This was my only concern with the Diamondback before I bought it. But I've not had any issues at all. When I load corn, I simply take the pistons loose from the back lid (takes 5 seconds each) and fold the back lid all the way forward to lay it down flat on top of the front lid. Stack corn up against the tool box, under the middle pivot section (not hard at all), and then fill up the back of the bed. 25 sacks of corn fits and still allows me to shut the back lid if I want to. I can pile it higher in the back and/or stack a few bags on top of the opened back lid if I need to. Filling feeders out of the bed is exactly the same as it would be if I had a different bed cover or no cover at all. Just leave the back lid folded all the way forward so it's out of the way completely. I can stand on the open tailgate, stand in the back part of the bed, and/or stand up on the rail and top of the tailgate (with the tailgate shut).
                Last edited by Shane; 12-01-2020, 02:34 PM.

Comment

I am on my second DiamondBack and love it. I was always an open bed with tool box guy until I needed more security and rain proof. Like Shane said I just fold over the back lid on the front and load away. Being able to stack stuff on top is a big bonus to me. Nothing is totally secure but the more out of sight therefore out of mind things are the better, IMO.

Comment

Might as well buy a Minivan I guess More covered room at least

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                      More pics please, maybe standing on your bumper looking down at where the box slides in
                      Actually chasing deer right now, but, here's a quick pic that might help.

It's proven to be well worth the effort. I drive a lot of miles in a normal year and with a LOT of gear.... hotels.... curbside parked at friends houses..... friends driveways....countless parking lots.....and so far nobody has broken in the bed. Can't say the same for my soft top....$2k loss.

It certainly wouldn't be a huge strain to break in with a pry bar, but, it'd be a heckuva lot more effort and louder to pull off than with a soft cover.....very obvious.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                        Might as well buy a Minivan I guess More covered room at least
                        Different missions for different folks....[emoji6]

Comment

Originally posted by Slicefixer View Post
                          Actually chasing deer right now, but, here's a quick pic that might help.

It's proven to be well worth the effort. I drive a lot of miles in a normal year and with a LOT of gear.... hotels.... curbside parked at friends houses..... friends driveways....countless parking lots.....and so far nobody has broken in the bed. Can't say the same for my soft top....$2k loss.

It certainly wouldn't be a huge strain to break in with a pry bar, but, it'd be a heckuva lot more effort and louder to pull off than with a soft cover.....very obvious.

Looks like a nice fit. I like the idea of accessing the tool box only or vice versa. I have a tundra CM with a camper top but have thought about going back to a bed cover for the spring/summer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

It actually turned out pretty good....especially for $300. Functions perfectly, which was my primary goal. I MUST have a deep full size toolbox and a covered bed so mission accomplished. Certainly not as glamorous as some, but, gets the job done. It is what it is...😉
                            Last edited by Slicefixer; 12-01-2020, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Retract hand down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                A 150 yeti? How tall is it? The 105 is 20”. The 160 yeti is 21.5”. I’m pretty sure that 160 would fit under my Tundra Bakflip as well . I would think your 250 bed is taller.

Mine might be a 160 Yeti? I will look at it. I’m pretty sure it sits above the top of my bed. My 75 qt yeti is close to sitting at the top of the bed too. I will measure them. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X