No announcement yet.

LH Over/Under Shooters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a lefty & own several O/U scatter guns...... The only time I've noticed any difference is on the Browning 725 that has a left handed palm swell, but all my other ones are right handed guns & I shoot them with out any problems at all.

Comment

I’m a lefty and it does make a difference for me. The Brownings pretty much have neutral cast and I can shoot them. Berettas, CZ’s & Franchi have significant cast setup for a right handed unless you buy a left-handed gun.

The new Winchester 101 is also neutral.

You can look down the gun from the muzzle end (unloaded ��) and you can see the buttstock is at an angle to the receiver and barrel.

Comment

Been left handed my whole life.
        Shot shotguns my whole life.
        Learned something new today. lol
        O/U's & the Wingmaster is what I shoot.
        Now I need a lefty O/U to go with the lefty arrows I ordered that I learned I needed on here last week.

Comment

For casual bird hunting i wouldn't think it would matter much. Competition shooting, alot of competition shooting may make a difference

Comment

Originally posted by Payne346 View Post
            Is anything different on a LH gun other than the cast?
            On the Blaser you can have the top lever open to the left. Palm swell on the stock is left handed

Comment

I've always shot neutral casted shotguns, and shot competitively back in the early '70's and '80's... Shot a 5-stand round with a friends right hand casted o/u 12 ga and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with that sucker!! Never realized how much difference it made if you shoot purely instinctively and have a set form. If you change the gun and don't change anything else, it's a disaster... Never was brave enough to get my competition guns whittled on (101's Pigeon grade)... They're still bone stock standard... I'm used to working the action "backwards"... Pulling the lever is natural for me.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                Basically there are RH, Neutral and LH cast in stocks. This is done with the in letting of the stocks. Some makers also use shims to put cast on or cast off in a stock.they can also change the drop but that’s another chapter in stock fitting. You can grab the gun by it’s muzzle and look down it to see which way it points. Only do this with an unloaded shotgun.

Some “right handed” labeled guns (most of them )will be neutral and the stock will be inline with the barrel/action. When the gun is fired the recoil more or less goes straight back. Eye relationship is centered.

A true right handed stock is casted to the right. When looking down the muzzle end the butt will noticeably be pointing left. When the gun is fired the recoil is directed away from your face and not into it.

A true left handed stock is casted to the left. When looking down the muzzle end the butt will noticeably be pointing right. When the gun is fired the recoil is directed away from your face and not into it.

It really depends on the make and model on how theses stocks are casted. A true right handed shotgun shot left handed can drive recoil into your face and be felt. Likewise a true left handed cast shotgun shot right handed can do the same.

We are all shaped differently and some people will have to alter a shotgun stock to fit them correctly. Shotgun fit is important if you want to be the best you can be. It’s all about the gun fitting your shoulder comfortably and the relationship of your dominate eye is with the muzzle. With a shotgun your eye is the “rear sight”. You change it’s position and change the gun’s POI.

Other than left handed stocks I do have left handed triggers on some target guns.
                This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for taking the time to explain the specifics in detail. Really appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by Muleyhunter View Post
                  You will not notice any difference on a neutral stock, but throw up a right hand cast o/u as a lefty and you should see it push your head away from centerline. Most of the newer competition guns have palm swell along with cast. I am cross dominant, right handed, but left eye dominant. Pay the extra money for left handed wood.
                  Thank you... I plan on getting a LH version. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    The average person wont know the difference and the average shotgun is made for the average guy.

You can have anything fitted to you but you have to decide if its worth the coin to shoot quail.

As a shotgunner my whole life I didnt see the need until my kid started to shoot competitively. Now there are 3 fitted shotguns in the house (none to me[emoji848]). He picked up 3-4 targets right off the bat and my wife who needing stock cut and bent picked up about 10

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                    Thanks for the input...I’ve shot several O/U and the only thing I’ve noticed is my face will be sore the next day? I always assumed it was me shooting incorrectly?

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                      I'm left handed and grew up shooting right handed guns(everyone else in the family is right handed), and when I got my first real job, I bought me a left handed rifle and shotgun. I could'nt work them as well as the right handed guns. Traded them for right handed guns, and to this day it's all I shoot.
                      I did the exact same thing when I started making money. I bought a LH rifle, then a few years later a SBE2 LH. I love the LH shotgun I have and like you can work the bolt just as good on a RH rifle. I just wanted to know specifically about O/U LH shotguns since they appear to help quite a bit with shooting accuracy?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stickers View Post
                        I'm a lefty & own several O/U scatter guns...... The only time I've noticed any difference is on the Browning 725 that has a left handed palm swell, but all my other ones are right handed guns & I shoot them with out any problems at all.
                        Thanks for the input...

Comment

Originally posted by mikebyrge View Post
                          I’m a lefty and it does make a difference for me. The Brownings pretty much have neutral cast and I can shoot them. Berettas, CZ’s & Franchi have significant cast setup for a right handed unless you buy a left-handed gun.

The new Winchester 101 is also neutral.

You can look down the gun from the muzzle end (unloaded ��) and you can see the buttstock is at an angle to the receiver and barrel.
                          This is what I’ve heard as well. I’m leaning hard towards the Beretta so I’m thinking go with a LH model too. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by dwactx View Post
                            For casual bird hunting i wouldn't think it would matter much. Competition shooting, alot of competition shooting may make a difference
                            Thanks... I should listen up on anything you have to offer with your profile pic! Thank you sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Toddcaster View Post
                              On the Blaser you can have the top lever open to the left. Palm swell on the stock is left handed
                              Gotcha... thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                                I've always shot neutral casted shotguns, and shot competitively back in the early '70's and '80's... Shot a 5-stand round with a friends right hand casted o/u 12 ga and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with that sucker!! Never realized how much difference it made if you shoot purely instinctively and have a set form. If you change the gun and don't change anything else, it's a disaster... Never was brave enough to get my competition guns whittled on (101's Pigeon grade)... They're still bone stock standard... I'm used to working the action "backwards"... Pulling the lever is natural for me.
                                Thanks Slick for the input sir!

Comment

Working...
                                X