What type of wasp is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
    I can’t tell with that pic if it’s one or the other from my phone. We are covered up with paper wasps at the ranch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We too are covered up with paper wasps. I'm 90% sure that they have a nest in the attic or walls at the farmhouse. I probably killed more than 30 in the house and there were literally hundreds just flying around outside. My local hardward store must've put sugar water in their Wasp and Hornet Killer spray, because the wasps really seem to like it.

Comment

Originally posted by gfulton View Post
      I think it's a paper wasp.
      It is not. Listen to the folks that actually know what it is.. I'm not guessing. It's a yellow jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
        It is not. Listen to the folks that actually know what it is.. I'm not guessing. It's a yellow jacket.
        Haha great response. No need to beat around the bush i guess.

Comment

The term 'paper wasp' is a catch all for most wasp, hornet, and bees. It is used to describe the nest composition of all of the above. Their nests are made using wood fibers and saliva that when dry has a paper texture.

OP's pic on the meat above is a yellow jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
            Beer Bee...................
            You put a beer down.............They'll find it................
            It’s crazy you said that!
            Had a friend at the house last week helping lay some rock for a patio.
            I handed him a beer and he set it down for 30 seconds tops, that thing flew in the can and stung him on his tongue and inside his lip.
            His lip swoll quick!
            He was quite upset and had to go home.

It looks just like the ground hornets we called yellow jackets in Alabama, but this guy was a little smaller.

Comment

Bad little suckers!

We had them build a nest in an old mattress pad that was in the shed. I went to get something and bumped that mattress pad. I got lit up about 50-60 times.

Put all my hunting gear on and went to battle with 3 bottles of spray and ended up with about 20 more stings. Called the professionals in and he went to town on them. It was the biggest nest either of us have ever seen. There were millions of those suckers dead

Comment

I will share an honest humbling story...I had my IBS hit me at the boat ramp early one morn...went off in the woods... found a good tree, squatted against it to do a little paper work...about mid way through, i thought an ant bit me right near the money, then about five more...took off running pants around ankles...quickly learned look where you are taking care of business and dont do it on top of a wasp nest ... i quit counting at 20 stings on my keester...still went fishing though...

Comment

Link below has a good comparison of a paper wasp and a yellow jacket. It's clearly a yellow jacket.

Paper wasps are frequently mistaken for yellowjackets and vice versa. Here are five ways to tell them apart.

Comment

Originally posted by TexanTiger View Post
                    I will share an honest humbling story...I had my IBS hit me at the boat ramp early one morn...went off in the woods... found a good tree, squatted against it to do a little paper work...about mid way through, i thought an ant bit me right near the money, then about five more...took off running pants around ankles...quickly learned look where you are taking care of business and dont do it on top of a wasp nest ... i quit counting at 20 stings on my keester...still went fishing though...
                    I bet you left a trail

Comment

Working...
                    X