Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people complain about the rising price of deer hunting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
    Has deer breeding actually lowered the cost of anything?

I'm genuinely curious about that because I seriously doubt that is accurate, could be wrong though
    Yeah, that don't even remotely make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
      1. Because hunting is too expensive.

2. Because nobody likes ****ographic antlers.
      Newsflash to all those who constantly say "hunting is too expensive". EVERYTHING increases in cost over the years - it is called inflation.

Hunting is no different from buying a truck, going on vacation, or buying a house. Each of us can afford what our lifestyles/income allow us to afford. IT is all relative. Lease cost have increased over the last 70-80 years and will continue to do so (as well as everything else on this earth).

Comment

Hunting fool and curt have a good point about inflation, but for the last 20ish years, inflation has been tied closer to federal income rather than actual salaries. Salaries as a whole have not grown that much. However, the number of people reaching that once higher band of salaries is greater, but then it just creates a general ceiling. Now obviously you can overcome this by creating a business, because this higher ceiling is still high enough to allow most people there the ability to branch out financially from just being dependent on "the man" for a job (which is why this country is still great!).

Since salaries overall have not grown much, just the number of people at higher bands of salaries due to labor shifts, inflation still makes sense but the cost for some of those folks is a bigger chunk out of that salary.
        The obvious way to frame this is that making 100k 20ish years ago basically meant you could do no wrong financially unless your plain stupid. With inflation, that's now 200k, but theres far and few between that get paid that. Previously, jobs that were skilled enough to be that high were fewer. But now we have more people doing those jobs, and a more broad workforce in general (parents both making 100k ,etc). So the guy that makes 100k but is the sole income is in a vastly different world than a two income household, but still considered in top band, but inflation has cut into how far that goes, because the market now represents more dual income families than it used to. So inflation represents growth in a horizontal sense now versus a vertical sense.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
          Yeah, that don't even remotely make sense.
          Agreed on that lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
            Hunting fool and curt have a good point about inflation, but for the last 20ish years, inflation has been tied closer to federal income rather than actual salaries. Salaries as a whole have not grown that much. However, the number of people reaching that once higher band of salaries is greater, but then it just creates a general ceiling. Now obviously you can overcome this by creating a business, because this higher ceiling is still high enough to allow most people there the ability to branch out financially from just being dependent on "the man" for a job (which is why this country is still great!).

Since salaries overall have not grown much, just the number of people at higher bands of salaries due to labor shifts, inflation still makes sense but the cost for some of those folks is a bigger chunk out of that salary.
            The obvious way to frame this is that making 100k 20ish years ago basically meant you could do no wrong financially unless your plain stupid. With inflation, that's now 200k, but theres far and few between that get paid that. Previously, jobs that were skilled enough to be that high were fewer. But now we have more people doing those jobs, and a more broad workforce in general (parents both making 100k ,etc). So the guy that makes 100k but is the sole income is in a vastly different world than a two income household, but still considered in top band, but inflation has cut into how far that goes, because the market now represents more dual income families than it used to. So inflation represents growth in a horizontal sense now versus a vertical sense.
            All this, and don't forget that hunters, as a group, really like to complain about stuff. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
              All this, and don't forget that hunters, as a group, really like to complain about stuff. Lol
              Well there just wouldn't be any fun without complaining haha. But we sure do like to find things to whine about

Comment

Everything is too expensive. That's why people complain.

Thank you for the economics news flash huntingfool. Turns out inflation has more than one meaning.

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
                  Everything is too expensive. That's why people complain.

Thank you for the economics news flash huntingfool. Turns out inflation has more than one meaning.
                  Happy to educate you

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                    But then hate deer breeding which has lowered the price to the consumer of big deer?

Note:

This is a discussion thread, not a bash thread.

Let’s explore our core values as hunters and be introspective about what we truly value, because all of us value things slightly differently.
                    I’m not sure what these two really have to do with each other. I don’t have a problem with current prices and don’t complain about it. I also wouldn’t spend $1 to go hunt some captive bred deer. Doesn’t do anything for me.

Comment

One thing that I believe affects leases is, years back ranchers owned ranches to run cows on and leased out the deer hunting. Now a good amount of these ranches have been bought by hunters for hunting and the only leasing is to ranchers to run cows on them. Lots of cattle ranches that were deer leases have been broken up and sold to hunters. The people that were once leasors are now property owners, that get a fair price for leasing to cattle men and instead of leasing have an investment they can hunt on that increases in value every year.

Comment

Well historically speaking.... first it’s was...drum roll..

Texas Trophy Hunters mag,
                        then it was TTHA(really heard this agruement),
                        then it was High fences, as if you where going to be allowed to hunt the property when it only had a 5?strands of barb around previously.
                        now it’s Breeders.

I remember when 5 strand fence was .50 a foot. Darn Breeders driving up cattle fence prices, lol

Comment

When I was a kid, I worked for a automechanic, he had a lease in Mason. I remember billboards on I10 that said, "Land for Sale, $400 an acre". Shoulda bought some.

Comment

But then hate deer breeding which has lowered the price to the consumer of big deer?

Note:

Let’s explore our core values as hunters and be introspective about what we truly value, because all of us value things slightly differently.
                            Is there any data that shows that deer breeding has definitively lowered the price to the consumer of big deer?

Comment

Note:

For me, the issue lies in the "how" of lowering the price of "big" deer to the consumer.

Deer breeding has not been a benefit to those that are nostalgic about what woodsman ship, hunting and being an outdoors man is. I am not saying that deer breeders went out of their way to change things but a change is a simple by product of the industry... along with lots of other factors.

The older I get, the more fun I have just being in the woods stump shooting and observing wildlife...the pursuit of big horns has ruined what deer hunting used to be in my opinion. Not hating just what it is, if my parents own acreage and pens, I would probably be kicking out 220 plus inch deer for folks to shoot...

Comment

Originally posted by Whampuscat2 View Post
                                One thing that I believe affects leases is, years back ranchers owned ranches to run cows on and leased out the deer hunting. Now a good amount of these ranches have been bought by hunters for hunting and the only leasing is to ranchers to run cows on them. Lots of cattle ranches that were deer leases have been broken up and sold to hunters. The people that were once leasors are now property owners, that get a fair price for leasing to cattle men and instead of leasing have an investment they can hunt on that increases in value every year.
                                This right here. I know I’ve displaced at least 15 lease hunters over the years buying property. Now it’s my wife and I hunting these spots. I don’t lease out any of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X