No announcement yet.

Meat handling after the kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My preference is to keep it cool and as dry as possible.

Ideally I’d love to have a walk in cooler. That may be a project to build in the shop at some point.

I already have a floor drain I could build it around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I make and use block ice. It doesn’t melt near as fast resulting in the meat sitting in less water and keeps the meat plenty cold, not to mention it’s free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
        My problem there is the cooler is at my friend's ranch in Beeville, and I don't want to drive 16 hours round trip to retrieve it. Plus he has to shoot 35-40 deer so space is at a premium at times.
        Guess I can see that...mine's an hour away.

Comment

Just try it. Then you will know and won't have to rely on the input of the internet.

I rinse with hose, if needed. Then I put in in an ice chest PLUG IN and leave it for 7-10 days. Meat taste great and is still nice and red inside. Im typically not a big fan of eating other people's deer meat that do not do it this way.

Comment

I'd prefer it not stay wet, but sometimes I don't have that option

Comment

Originally posted by muskles View Post
              i spray mine off when i finish skinning it to get rid of any hair or dirt that might be on the meat. Then i put it in the cooler and put ice on top of it. I pull the drain and keep ice on it for 3-7 days.

Sent from my xt1080 using tapatalk
              ditto

Comment

Meat handling after the kill

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                Just try it. Then you will know and won't have to rely on the input of the internet.

I rinse with hose, if needed. Then I put in in an ice chest PLUG IN and leave it for 7-10 days. Meat taste great and is still nice and red inside. Im typically not a big fan of eating other people's deer meat that do not do it this way.

Must have not read it all the way through...I have done it both ways. With the other post that was up about aging I wanted to hear everyones opinions on this.

Last edited by ejj005; 10-16-2019, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ejj005 View Post
                  Must have not read it all the way through...I have done it both ways. With the other post that was up about aging I wanted to hear everyones opinions on this.

Very likely i misunderstood. But you are saying you have experience both ways and want other people to validate your own experience?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Very likely i misunderstood. But you are saying you have experience both ways and want other people to validate your own experience?

I guess you can say it that way. It’s been years back since I kept one dry all the way through the process. I do however read a lot, on this and other forums, about opinions that I feel strongly one way or the other about. I was simply bringing up something that I haven’t seen on here before. I’m still going to put it in an ice chest like I have been doing because of convenience for me. I hope that’s ok...

Comment

Originally posted by ejj005 View Post
                      I guess you can say it that way. It’s been years back since I kept one dry all the way through the process. I do however read a lot, on this and other forums, about opinions that I feel strongly one way or the other about. I was simply bringing up something that I haven’t seen on here before. I’m still going to put it in an ice chest like I have been doing because of convenience for me. I hope that’s ok...

Im not hating at all. And i dont intend to come across as a richard. I am however a big fan of the quote " a man with experience is not subject to a man with an opinion". I always encourage folks to be the one with the experience and to not worry about those that have opinions only. Get that experience and trust what it teaches you. I have some vac sealed cooked bacon that i took on a back pack sheep hunt the first week of september. Its just sitting on my desk. People will tell you that you should not eat that. I guess i will find out at some point.

Comment

Im not hating at all. And i dont intend to come across as a richard. I am however a big fan of the quote " a man with experience is not subject to a man with an opinion". I always encourage folks to be the one with the experience and to not worry about those that have opinions only. Get that experience and trust what it teaches you. I have some vac sealed cooked bacon that i took on a back pack sheep hunt the first week of september. Its just sitting on my desk. People will tell you that you should not eat that. I guess i will find out at some point.

Sounds good. I like the quote. Thanks for clearing it up. I guess for me, in the past I haven’t noticed a difference because it was used in sausage, ground meat, or fried. It seems people always have a strong opinion one way or the other. I’m kind of in the middle where I dont know if it actually matters or not. I just do my best to keep the meat clean.

Not so sure about that bacon...ha

Comment

[quote=AntlerCollector;14438962]
                          Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          So you are placing your deer in sterilized bags you get from? Or just regular ol trash bags? That's not very sanitary...

No thanks......too much effort and bones poke though bags too easy anyway.......90% of it will be burger, sausage, or jerky so I'll just keep doing it until it kills me I guess..

They are only "trash" bags if you put trash in them . Nothing unsanitary about a clean plastic bag. I don't recommend trash bags though

These are the best type of bags below. Also if you can use dry ice in your cooler it's much better to keep the water off the meat.

Wow, and to think I’ve been doing it wrong for close to 50 years and I’m still kicking.

Comment

Interesting the way this thread has gone. I'd be willing to bet the keep-it-dry crowd also wear gloves to process deer because of "bacteria" and the ice crew does not, just a guess. I think a little dirt and bacteria are good for you. [emoji2]

At the end of the day, as long as you're not wasting your game meat with your process, it's all good!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post

Wow, and to think I’ve been doing it wrong for close to 50 years and I’m still kicking.

Oh LAWD no one said you're doing it wrong! There are better ways to care for your meat though.

I don't wear gloves either. I also stated that I still put mine in ice on occasions when I have to. Some of y'all get defensive over the slightest things lol.

Keep doing it how you want. I don't care. Please forgive me for suggesting there may be a better way to do something SMH.
                              Last edited by AntlerCollector; 10-17-2019, 04:18 AM.

Comment

When we first got our place in Rocksprings we had shot a couple axis does one winter evening, and decided to just let them hang all night. Being from down on the coast, we are not used to freezing weather that is common to Rocksprings in the winter time. We came out the next morning, and they were frozen solid. LOL. They stayed frozen the rest of the time we were there, and we had to quarter them up with a Sawzall.

Didn't need any ice for that ride home.

Comment

Working...
                                X