Serious Question about College Admissions Scandal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TXJIM View Post
    Perhaps, breach of employment, perhaps fraud, depends on how good the lawyer is

What about the person offering the money?

The people paying will have to deal with the whole bribes thingy

I was talking about the folks who took the bribes and they were stealing from the university.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
      The people paying will have to deal with the whole bribes thingy

I was talking about the folks who took the bribes and they were stealing from the university.
      Maybe...stealing what exactly? It's not like they were diverting tuition payments, they were taking extra payments to grease the skids.

Comment

Originally posted by TXJIM View Post
        Maybe...stealing what exactly? It's not like they were diverting tuition payments, they were taking extra payments to grease the skids.

Coaches giving scholarships to students that don’t deserve them has to have an effect on the university. Now if they are just paying and no scholarships are given then that’s different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
          The way the media is hyping the issue and a "million dollar bond" issued to the lady actor- they act like I'm supposed to care.
          I really don't.

So some people with a lot of money used it to obtain something the common man cannot.
          Sounds like everyday life to me.

Hence private jet vs first class vs business class vs a bus ticket.

I'm not saying it's right or should continue, just don't understand the hype behind it.
          pretty much my thoughts on things.

Comment

Actually what i have read at least one of these cases involves a kid sign a LOI, but not playing the sport but still reaping the benefits.

Besides being morally wrong, its fraud.

Comment

I see nothing wrong with it, it's the only way a white kid can get a athletic scholarship. [emoji6]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                I see nothing wrong with it, it's the only way a white kid can get a athletic scholarship. [emoji6]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                lol nice...there's always golf I suppose

Comment

Tax fraud was mentioned yesterday as well..I'm guessing here..Maybe they wrote off the bribe?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hart8 View Post
                    Tax fraud was mentioned yesterday as well..I'm guessing here..Maybe they wrote off the bribe?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
                    Yep, apparently the 'donations' were deductible...I need to talk to my CPA!

Comment

Part of the scheme was altering SAT and other test results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Catfish270 View Post
                        I haven’t been into all the coverage on the matter, but some of the reporting mentioned mail fraud as an area for prosecution.
                        Funny how they WILL find something/anything to prosecute them with...But yet politicians get away with way worse all the freaking time and nothing is done.

Comment

It’s the ultimate “Look what my kid did” situation.

Comment

It's interesting to say the least. My main issue is the SAT/ACT practices that were being doctored up. The mastermind had a set up to allow stand alone tests to be administered to single students with a "proxy" present to administer the test, yep, that guy was on the take. Lots of collusion and falsified records I am sure.

The few that had athletic scholarships and not playing the sports, to me that is just a generous benefactor paying the kids way in another fashion.

Comment

I don't understand what the big deal is here. This crap happens everyday whether it be with a donor's kid, legacy's kid, or just kid with a very prestigious name. Sure the may not be technically "bribing" but people use their influence to get their kid or a kid into college all the time. I'll give you another example, went to a small D2 school. There were foreigners in several my classes that could barely speak English and could not read English. Heck some barely came to class, but they graduated just like me. I asked a professor I became close to when I was working on my MBA about how this is possible. She said that this school has a big market for foreigners. They come over here, go to college, get a degree, and then tell their brother, sisters, and cousins about it. Then they come and get an "education". Best part is, they pay cash. Money talks and bull spit walks.

Comment

They set up shell non profit companies to work thru and made these contributions tax deductible.

Like dale donates $500,000 to Jerry’s 501c3 and writes it off and jerry makes sure his kid is playing lacrosse at Maryland. That’s called tax evasion and fraud

Comment

Working...
                                X