Honda Rancher ES running issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda Rancher ES running issue

I have an ‘04 Honda Rancher ES and was using it just fine yesterday evening, and then for several hours this morning.

But then around 10:30 I noticed it seemed like the RPM’s were a tick lower, then it suddenly died and would not restart.

It does have a dead battery, or at least a nearly dead battery (i’ve been starting it via the pull rope), but I also noticed some very clean engine oil collecting in the bottom of the air filter housing.

I was able later to get it started, but the second I turned the choke off it died again.

So I don’t know anyone of these things could be the issue, or none of them, so I’m asking for any guidance or opinions from the TBH brain trust.

I’d start by pulling and cleaning the carb, especially since it won’t run without the choke on.

Comment

I have an 07 rubicon. That had a nearly dead battery and died after starting just idling. I could run it no problem but went to idol and died. I bought an OEM carb that should be here this week. I am betting mine is carb related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Should I be concerned about the oil in the air filter box? I mean it’s not like a quart of the stuff, maybe 1/4 cup worth (if that), but it seems like it shouldn’t be there at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
          Thanks, guys.

Should I be concerned about the oil in the air filter box? I mean it’s not like a quart of the stuff, maybe 1/4 cup worth (if that), but it seems like it shouldn’t be there at all.
          That could be air filter oil you are seeing

Comment

Sounds like it sucked in a piece of trash.

Comment

Oil filter oil could be from bad valve guides/seals, or bad rings with blow by pressurizing crankcase, maybe not. See if the plugs are fouled with oil. First thing is to get it running and see if it get oil in the filter again. Compression test.
              Last edited by Walker; 05-30-2023, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Oil on the air filter is normal (if it isn't motor oil). Replace your battery to start with. If you still have a problem then there might be some debris in the tank. I had a similar problem with mine when the tank would get low. Never had a problem when it was full.

Comment

There's a youtube video on the oil in the airbox that explains how much is ok and how much isn't and how to fix it if it's too much. You'll have to do a search on the googler.

Comment

My foreman did the same thing this past weekend. Had some trash hung in the fuel valve.

Pulled and drained the tank. Blew everything out with carb cleaner. On the road again.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                      My foreman did the same thing this past weekend. Had some trash hung in the fuel valve.

Pulled and drained the tank. Blew everything out with carb cleaner. On the road again.
                      Did you have to pull the entire tank off? Or is there a way to drain it without doing that?

On a related note, I hope it’s not gas related because I’ve been using premium full to try and avoid an issue like this. Of course I’m sure it doesn’t help that it sits up for long periods of time occassionally.

Comment

Same question? I was gonna drain everything out but do I need to completely remove the tank? How difficult was that process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When you get it running again put Stabil in the gas. It will eliminate your problems when it sets for months before starting or running it.

Comment

I pulled the tank because I wanted to clean it out really good because I’ve been having random crud in the tank stop flow in the valve.

Take the side panels off. Two bolts under the handle bars and two rubber band type holders towards the rear hold the tank in place.

I also pulled the fuel valve and gauge from the tank. I used carb cleaner to clean it all up and put it back together.

Probably took me a half hour. Really easy job.

You can pull the fuel line from the carb and totality drain the tank but in my case I had no fuel flowing.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                              I pulled the tank because I wanted to clean it out really good because I’ve been having random crud in the tank stop flow in the valve.

Take the side panels off. Two bolts under the handle bars and two rubber band type holders towards the rear hold the tank in place.

I also pulled the fuel valve and gauge from the tank. I used carb cleaner to clean it all up and put it back together.

Probably took me a half hour. Really easy job.

You can pull the fuel line from the carb and totality drain the tank but in my case I had no fuel flowing.

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X