Lightning Strike??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightning Strike??

We had a storm last week that woke me up around 2 a.m. I got up and was watching tv and trying to go back to sleep when a huge / loud lightning strike lite up the back of my house that is all windows with no curtains. I actually stepped outside to see if anything was on fire it was so loud and close. I even told my wife that it was the closest I had ever been to a lightning strike, and it sounded completely different from anything I`d heard before. This morning I was putting our trash bin out and I`m pretty sure this is where the lightning struck last week. It was 140" feet from my house and at the end of my driveway.

I guess it's possible, or the heat from said lightning strike was close enough to create a Hotspot on your Driveway therefore causing that Hotspot to rupture. I know concrete will do that it it gets too hot. If it was the spot where the lightning hit I would think it to be quite a bit bigger.

Comment

Looks to me like it hit somewhere else, and traveled through the rebar, you're looking at the exit strategy.
      I've seen refrigerator size pieces of concrete blow up out of driveways and slabs from lighting getting in the rebar.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
        Looks to me like it hit somewhere else, and traveled through the rebar, you're looking at the exit strategy.
        I've seen refrigerator size pieces of concrete blow up out of driveways and slabs from lighting getting in the rebar.

Yep. Hit nearby and exited your slab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The asphalt at the edge of the concrete wasn`t like that prior to the strike either. May have strook there and not the concrete.

Comment

Wow

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
              The asphalt at the edge of the concrete wasn`t like that prior to the strike either. May have strook there and not the concrete.
              No that's where it exited your slab, hit that loose asphalt, and found ground.
              Where it came in is anyones guess.
              JMO.

Comment

I was asleep when lightning struck, sounded like it was right outside my door. Couple minutes later I get a call that a hotel has been hit by lightning. Walk in the front entrance and floor tile and cement was everywhere. Somehow, some way the lightning went through the structure and blew out in the corridor near the front reception area! There were three holes in the floor like your pictures with debris scattered all the way down the corridor.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfeathers View Post
                  I was asleep when lightning struck, sounded like it was right outside my door. Couple minutes later I get a call that a hotel has been hit by lightning. Walk in the front entrance and floor tile and cement was everywhere. Somehow, some way the lightning went through the structure and blew out in the corridor near the front reception area! There were three holes in the floor like your pictures with debris scattered all the way down the corridor.
                  Rebar grounds.
                  In commercial construction like that it will just about always be tied in, residential some are some aren't depending.

Comment

My in-laws house in Kerrville had that happen. Lightning stuck outside and it traveled underground inside and blew a piece of concrete up.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeM View Post
                      My in-laws house in Kerrville had that happen. Lightning stuck outside and it traveled underground inside and blew a piece of concrete up.
                      Useless facts - the lightning could have hit miles away, and traveled through underground water, pipe, etc..to get to their house and do that.
                      Ground current goes a lot further than people think.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                        Useless facts - the lightning could have hit miles away, and traveled through underground water, pipe, etc..to get to their house and do that.
                        Ground current goes a lot further than people think.
                        Yeah we couldnt find any obvious locations for the strike, just where it ended up. Glad no one was there in the house when it happened

Comment

I’ve seen pictures of vehicles that have been hit by lightning. All you see on the body is a tiny point the size of a writing pen.

My brother and I came VERY close to being struck by lightning when we were kids. It was so loud that neither one of us could hear very good for a bit. Ears were ringing like crazy! From what we were told, it was less than 50’ away.

Comment

I had lighting strike a tree in my yard, it traveled thru all the wiring in the house and then went thru the cable lines. Even my neighbors house lost their tv's and phones. Crazy stuff.

Comment

Crazy stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X