No announcement yet.

Lightning Strike??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have an irrigation system you should check it! I’ve seen this happen and FRY the irrigation wires and controller(typically in garage).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by The4Cs View Post
      If you have an irrigation system you should check it! I’ve seen this happen and FRY the irrigation wires and controller(typically in garage).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I just checked and they still work. Our neighbor did call though the day after the storm and wanted to know if our Wi-Fi was working. Saw a Totalcom truck at their house the next day. We haven`t had any problems since. Don`t know if neighbor across the road who was much close have had any problems.

Comment

My buddy was on his front porch when a tree next to his driveway was hit. Went into his car parked near the tree, and then left 3 or 4 spots that look exactly like that along the edge of where his car was parked, each a little smaller than the one next to it. Car was a goner.

Comment

[QUOTE=The4Cs;16784582]If you have an irrigation system you should check it! I’ve seen this happen and FRY the irrigation wires and controller(typically in garage).

I am the OP - yeah it fried my controller - guy coming Thursday to replace it and see if it fried all my wires - crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
            I had lighting strike a tree in my yard, it traveled thru all the wiring in the house and then went thru the cable lines. Even my neighbors house lost their tv's and phones. Crazy stuff.
            My mom was talking on the land line during a storm, lightning struck a telephone pole somewhere and zapped her enough for a trip to the emergency room
            She was ok , but wouldn’t ever use a telephone again during a rainstorm

Comment

Certainty possible that’s where it.

Comment

Had a big pine struck a couple yrs ago. Blew a hole out of a carport slam, exposed 90 Ft. of wire and conduit to my man cave Blew all the Etex boxes off the house. Burned a wires in my car port to the house. We were luckey, no fire and all we lost in house was cordless phones. Not a good day.

Comment

I cant get the image to upload, but lightning struck the field next to my house and traveled underground to my well. It literally welded the pump motor to the housing. You could see the burn from the arc on the outside of the pump. Had to be seriously hot.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                      Rebar grounds.
                      In commercial construction like that it will just about always be tied in, residential some are some aren't depending.
                      I get that, but it went through four floors and fried the fire alarm system and blew out the floor without doing any other damage, crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by Redfeathers View Post
                        I get that, but it went through four floors and fried the fire alarm system and blew out the floor without doing any other damage, crazy!
                        Crazy for sure, sounds like whatever it hit was tied into the low voltage network system, allowing it to be isolated from the AC power grid for the most part.
                        I'm sure they lost some AC equipment wherever it tied in, unless they had a phenomal gas filled grounding setup.
                        Been wiring up commercial and residential structures for alarm, automation, networking, etc...for over 20 yrs, and seen a lot of it.
                        It's beautiful really when its a good strike like you mention though, especially in a commercial building.
                        Once you find out, you think about all the devices in a building like that, and instead of seeing switches, routers, tv's etc...in your head, they all turn to dollar signs 😁.
                        Also built several dozen lightning rods up to 400ft, and it gets spicy in the adjacent structures when the lighting jumps the ground.
                        Some hard stuff to contain.

Comment

We had a huge strike last night while watching a movie, lit up the house like a spotlight...my wife and I both jumped up! I thought I heard something like a lightbulb explode but couldn't find anything. This morning my Keurig was dead, thankfully it was just a breaker that got tripped. I lost a Keurig a couple months ago from my generator because of a storm, they are sensitive.

Comment

Working...
                          X