Follow up on the retirement thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Follow up on the retirement thread

this is just my opinion after over 40 years of doing financial planning. There was a HUGE transition a few years back concerning retirement in the USA

Baby Boomers most all had pensions built into their jobs - the corporation they worked for provided them lifetime pensions once they retired.

Those day are all gone ........ Companies pretty much do not provide pensions (other than teachers and municipal/government jobs)

What companies offer now days is a 401k match but they leave the savings for retirement up to the employee - the problem with this is that most folks will not even contribute enough to receive the free match much less put more into their 401k -

So somewhere down the road (in my humble opinion) when these folks reach retirement age they will have nowhere near enough money to live a decent retirement - the majority will only have social security to live on -I will be dead and gone but I truly believe long term this is a huge issue for our country - I pray I am wrong

I put the max into my 401K since day 1. After I turned 50 I put the allowable extra in as well. My investment strategy was to be aggressive while I was under 50, buying mostly company stock and some mutual funds. After 50 I started being more conservative. If you increase your contribution every time you get a raise by the raise amount, you can get up there fast.
    I tell this to my kids and hopefully they listened. I retired very comfortably and to this day still have over 90% of my retirement fund

Comment

A friend, well my son's friend...who I gave a spot on my deer lease... In his his late 20's was asking me about savings.
      He is a captain on the pilot boats in the port A, corpus ship channel. I told him to match what the company puts in and add some if he could.

Told him it may be difficult now, but will pay dividends later in life.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
        I put the max into my 401K since day 1. After I turned 50 I put the allowable extra in as well. My investment strategy was to be aggressive while I was under 50, buying mostly company stock and some mutual funds. After 50 I started being more conservative. If you increase your contribution every time you get a raise by the raise amount, you can get up there fast.
        I tell this to my kids and hopefully they listened. I retired very comfortably and to this day still have over 90% of my retirement fund
        I did the same - instead of saving a certain amount I always saved a percentage of my income - when my income went up then so did how much I saved - worked out well

Comment

I have not given kids any gifts for Christmas or Birthdays for many years. Put $$$ into an investment IRA. When they both started getting pay checks I put the $$$ in Roth accounts. Hopefully they see the benefits early in life and keep funding their Roth’s. Figure if they do at least that for 40 years they won’t be flat broke
          Last edited by glen; 05-30-2023, 06:17 AM.

Comment

I’m lucky to work for a company that still has a pension. They also will match 401k up to 10% each paycheck.

Comment

Working...
            X