yard weed that burns like hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yard weed that burns like hell

anyone know what this is ? i shot my 9mm around camp , and at the price of ammo these days, i was paying more attention at picking up my brass .. they all fell around this weed ... so I picked them up.... and man my hand turned red and started burning ... ran my hand under water to cool it off and it still stung for a while ... anyone know what this weed is called ?
    Attached Files

Never seen anything like that. What part of the state is it located?

Comment

Don’t know the name, but I feel your pain. Been there and done that. It’ll light you up! Haha

Comment

Stinging Nettle

Don’t touch it. Id you do, I believe vinegar will relieve the pain/itch.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
          Never seen anything like that. What part of the state is it located?
          cross plains, near Abilene ...

Comment

Looks similar to what we call Bull Nettle, but that may not be it. The “needles” look the same as Bull nettle, but the leaves look different. Regardless, if it is a type of nettle, it burns like your skin is on fire. Doctor told me to pee on it last time I got into it...I passed and just suffered the burning lol

Comment

Originally posted by Maddox View Post
              Stinging Nettle

Don’t touch it. Id you do, I believe vinegar will relieve the pain/itch.
              that's what i thought too, but looking at pics stinging nettle look like. a tear drop leaf and bushy ... this is long stems and real thin long straight blades
              it looks quite different

Comment

The leaves are too small for bull nettle, but as mentioned, likely about the same thing. It burns like heck, and yes, peeing on it does help. Got into it pretty bad as a kid one time, I steer clear these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That is actually called Cat Nip Noseburn. Not making it up, look it up. Stuff burns like hell...

Comment

Tragia ramosa Torr.
                    Konza Prairie, Riley County, Kansas
                    Perennial
                    Height: 4-20 inches
                    Family: Euphorbiaceae - Spurge Family
                    Flowering Period: June, July, August, September
                    Stems: Decumbent to ascending or erect; sap watery.
                    Leaves: Cauline, alternate, simple; stipules present; petiole 1/25 to 2/5 inch; blade narrowly ovate to linear-lanceolate, 1/5 to 1.6 inch long, 1/8 to 4/5 inch wide, base subcordate to truncate, margins serrate, tip acute.
                    Inflorescences: Racemes, axillary or terminal, 1/5 to 3/5 inch; staminate and pistillate flowers on same plant, pistillate flowers proximal and staminate flowers distal; staminate flowers 2-20 per raceme, pistillate flowers 1-2 per raceme; staminate bracts lanceolate, 1/16 to 1/12 inch; pistillate bracts 1/25 to 1/16 inch.
                    Flowers: Staminate flowers greenish: pedicels to 1/12 inch; sepals 3-4, oblanceolate, 1/25 to 1/11 inch; petals 0; stamens 3-6(-10). Pistillate flowers greenish: sepals 6, connate basally, lanceolate, 1/32 to 1/10 inch, shorter than gynoecium (collective term for the pistil(s) of a flower); petals 0; styles 3, connate proximally more than 1/2 their lengths, simple.
                    Fruits: Capsules 3-lobed, not enveloped by persistent bracts, 1/8 to 1/6 inch long, 1/4 to 1/3 inch wide; seeds dark brown, globose to ovoid, 1/10 to 1/7 inch.
                    Habitat: Rocky to gravelly tallgrass, mixed-grass, and shortgrass prairies
                    Distribution: West 4/5 of Kansas
                    Origin: Native
                    Comments: The herbage is covered with stiff stinging hairs that are painful when touched, thus the common name nose burn. Tragia, for Hieronymus Bock, a German botanist whose Latinized name was Tragus and ramosa, branched.
                    See also Betony noseburn

Comment

Looks like a plant called "Tread Softly" probably has other names or nick names. Not Bull Nettle pretty sure. We have Bull Nettle and it has large leaves, kinda looks like a strawberry plant.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                        That is actually called Cat Nip Noseburn. Not making it up, look it up. Stuff burns like hell...
                        that's it ... thank you! this stuff is vicious!!!

Comment

We have that stuff all over Ellis county. It sucks to get into.

Comment

anyone know how to kill it ? i assume if you mow it , you just spread it. like everything else ...

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                              The leaves are too small for bull nettle, but as mentioned, likely about the same thing. It burns like heck, and yes, peeing on it does help. Got into it pretty bad as a kid one time, I steer clear these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              I got into it a couple of times. Mom used to put Bluing on it. Bluing is a whitener in the laundry detergent section at stores. Used to come in a blue glass bottle.

Comment

Working...
                              X