argon bottle exchange question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a small (2.5 feet tall est) 75/25 argon ... probably considered a #3 size ???? bottle on my welder that has finally gone empty.
    i need to get it swapped out , but i don't remember where it came from.
    does anyone know any places either around cisco /abilene or in the dfw area that would swap this bottle for a full one ?

i would assume the code on it is expired as i've had it for years .. bottle is in great shape otherwise ...

as little as I weld , it lasts me for years ... but i do have a trailer that popped a weld i need to fix, so it would be nice to get a fresh full bottle now ..

let me know if you know where i could get this swapped. thanks

Try TSC.

Comment

1000's of places in Texas but you need to be more specific on your location.

Comment

There are owner bottles and rental bottles. If it is a owner bottle, they sometimes want you to prove you own it, but then other places or times not. We bought oxygen and acetylene bottles, when I was in high school, probably 35 years ago. Never had a problem getting them exchanged for about 10 years, maybe 15. Then Welder's Equipment got bought out. I have had problems ever since, getting those bottles swapped out. It's a battle every time. They have been empty for at least three years, because I really don't want to go through that battle again.

My 75/25 bottle, I bought about 28 years ago in San Marcos at some welding supply company there, not really sure what the name of the company was or is, I know they were on 123. I have never had problems getting that bottle swapped out. Same with my argon bottle, I bought it at one of the San Antonio welding supply places that has changed names once or twice since. I don't have any problem getting it swapped out either.

But swapping out my oxygen and acetylene bottles, is a huge battle every time I need them swapped out, in the last 20 plus years.

If it's a rental bottle, I don't think they will just swap that out anywhere. I really don't know how that would work.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post
          1000's of places in Texas but you need to be more specific on your location.
          from my original post
          "does anyone know any places either around cisco /abilene or in the dfw area "

is that not specific enough ? i'm willing to drive around any of these areas to get it refilled or swapped out.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
            There are owner bottles and rental bottles. If it is a owner bottle, they sometimes want you to prove you own it, but then other places or times not. We bought oxygen and acetylene bottles, when I was in high school, probably 35 years ago. Never had a problem getting them exchanged for about 10 years, maybe 15. Then Welder's Equipment got bought out. I have had problems ever since, getting those bottles swapped out. It's a battle every time. They have been empty for at least three years, because I really don't want to go through that battle again.

My 75/25 bottle, I bought about 28 years ago in San Marcos at some welding supply company there, not really sure what the name of the company was or is, I know they were on 123. I have never had problems getting that bottle swapped out. Same with my argon bottle, I bought it at one of the San Antonio welding supply places that has changed names once or twice since. I don't have any problem getting it swapped out either.

But swapping out my oxygen and acetylene bottles, is a huge battle every time I need them swapped out, in the last 20 plus years.

If it's a rental bottle, I don't think they will just swap that out anywhere. I really don't know how that would work.
            i had a big bottle on it, loaned welder to a friend and it came back with this smaller one... he said he just had it swapped out ... i don't think it's a rental but how would i know ?

Comment

I have just taken my bottle to a local supply house and they swapped no questions asked...haven't had an issue and actually swapped it at two different companies since.

Comment

If it has a welding supply name embossed on the neck it’s a rental and take it to the place that’s on the neck. If it has a clean neck take it anyplace and they will either fill it or swop you another owner bottle.

Comment

Swap mine at airgas no prob

Comment

Get some flux core wire. Or whatever they call it. Argon not needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

just called my buddy and he said he did it at tractor supply ... so I guess i'll try there first

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
                        Get some flux core wire. Argon not needed

heck no ... much nicer weld with gas ... i never looked back since switching to gas ..

Comment

swapped it out last weekend at tractor supply ... no problem at all ! same bottle!

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                            If it has a welding supply name embossed on the neck it’s a rental and take it to the place that’s on the neck. If it has a clean neck take it anyplace and they will either fill it or swop you another owner bottle.
                            That’s what I was always told. But i have one bottle that i got with a welding machine i bought from an individual that has a name on the neck. It is an owner size bottle, 150 cf Argon. I have swapped it several places and never had an issue. But they always give me a marked bottle. I’ve never questioned them since all i wanted was more gas but I’m not sure what is going on. I know i am not paying rent on it.

Comment

Should be able to swap it at any welding supply. May have to pay a recertification fee if the bottles’ cert. is out, as long as it’s a “slick neck bottle”

If it’s a rental bottle someone sold you. Then you’ll probably be ahead to just buy your own bottle some where or rent one.

Comment

Working...
                              X