Reasons we Bailed and Moved to Iowa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasons we Bailed and Moved to Iowa

We moved from DFW (Arlington) after living there my entire life (I was 64 when we moved). There were several reasons we moved to Iowa, but the graph below is the main reason.

1. We owned a 64 acre farm here.
    2. My wife has family here.
    3. We were tired of the ridiculous amount of our life spent sitting in traffic.
    4. We were tired of the heat.
    5. We were tired of and wary of all the crime and craziness.
    6. We wanted a more self sustainable lifestyle.
    7. The deer hunting ain't too bad either.[emoji106]

We lived right in the middle of that blue dot. Yikes !!!

We feel blessed that we got moved and our new home built before this craziness hit.

"The Dallas–Fort Worth–Arlington metropolitan statistical area's population is 7,573,136 according to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2019 population estimates, making it the most populous metropolitan area in both Texas and the Southern United States and the fourth-largest in the U.S".

By the way. I have seen one car today and it was the mail lady.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Beautiful place you got there. Once my daughter graduates high school I am heading west out near Junction.

Comment

Seems as though you timed it about perfect!! I love TEXAS but boy has it changed in the 8 years we were away!

Comment

Nicely done! I hope and plan to be out of Texas here within the next year to year and a half. Texas will always be home and I love it but there’s places that have been calling my name and it’s gotten to the point where it’s now or never with all the craziness going on.

Comment

Nice place. I never even thought I would even think of moving out of Texas. But I has crossed my mind recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hope your place greens up soon.....lol.

Living your best life!

Comment

Very Nice place!!

Comment

Very nice place you have there

Comment

It isn't stopping anytime soon on the population growing! Nice place!

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

What part of Iowa you in? I have family near Sac City and the quad cities. Anything south of Des Moines is pretty, especially near the Mississippi or Missouri/Soiux River valley. And some big deer.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                        What part of Iowa you in? I have family near Sac City and the quad cities. Anything south of Des Moines is pretty, especially near the Mississippi or Missouri/Soiux River valley. And some big deer.
                        We are in Davis county southwest of Bloomfield. We are 8 miles north of the Iowa/Missouri state line. I can be in Missouri in 12 minutes. I buy my gas and diesel in Missouri. It's about 10 cents a gallon cheaper there. Missouri has lower gas and tobacco taxes.

Comment

Reasons I could never live in Iowa

1) They only have small farms up there. Texas has big places.
                          2) My wife has family there. I don't want to be around my in-laws.
                          3) They are so rural, we have to conversate with racoons. Also when the combines hit the FM roads, it blocks the path around them for 15-20 mins.
                          4) It's **** cold in the winter, like **** cold.
                          5) Don't matter where you live, someone will always steal something from you.
                          6) They don't have HEBs or Whataburger.
                          7) The deer have white horns, not Texas chocolate.

and lastly why I couldn't live in Iowa
                          8) well it's...... Iowa for crying out loud. I can't remember the last time someone stood up proudly and declared they were from Iowa. Heck most Americans couldn't find it on a map

But seriously, glad you are enjoying it.

Comment

Sell me an acre?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                              We moved from DFW (Arlington) after living there my entire life (I was 64 when we moved). There were several reasons we moved to Iowa, but the graph below is the main reason.

1. We owned a 64 acre farm here.
                              2. My wife has family here.
                              3. We were tired of the ridiculous amount of our life spent sitting in traffic.
                              4. We were tired of the heat.
                              5. We were tired of and wary of all the crime and craziness.
                              6. We wanted a more self sustainable lifestyle.
                              7. The deer hunting ain't too bad either.[emoji106]

We lived right in the middle of that blue dot. Yikes !!!

We feel blessed that we got moved and our new home built before this craziness hit.

"The Dallas–Fort Worth–Arlington metropolitan statistical area's population is 7,573,136 according to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2019 population estimates, making it the most populous metropolitan area in both Texas and the Southern United States and the fourth-largest in the U.S".

By the way. I have seen one car today and it was the mail lady.

Man you made the right decision. I’m third generation Texan and I never ever even thought I would give it a second thought about leaving but I’ll tell you now that if I can make it happen I’ll exit texas when I retire.
                              We have a very nice get away with acreage on richland chambers but all that metro mess is closing in even on the south side of the lake where we are is growing. 10 years ago I thought we had the perfect little hide away that would make it another 30 years before we saw growth, unfortunately that was wrong. I’m sick of the summer heat too. Iowa really hasn’t crossed my mind but I love Oklahoma and Arkansas.
                              I would commit to northern Oklahoma now if my wife was onboard.
                              Funny thing is my step father was from Iowa and we would go up every summer and I hated it, other than fishing the skunk river and everyone made fun of my him for being a yankee.

I say you got a real good thing going there and I hope one day to be able to say the only car I saw was the mail man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X