Need Roofing 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Roofing 101

We have developed a leak in our roof in one of the valleys. No visible damage so I am not sure of the cause. The roof is 20 years old and it is time to replace it anyway. I haven't got the first clue about the do's and don'ts of having a roof replaced. What are the benefits of one shingle over another?

There is only one layer of shingles, but with the leak I think it would be best to pull up the old and start from a clean slate.

Also, any recommendations on who I should or should not talk to in the Conroe area?

I've heard there's a fine group of folks that go door to door fixing roofs and resurfacing driveways.

Bump for you

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
      I've heard there's a fine group of folks that go door to door fixing roofs and resurfacing driveways.

Bump for you
      Have had my fair share of those fine individuals while working at Methodist downtown. We were always getting gypped.

Comment

procoroof.com - give them a call. We just had our house done and it was the first time we had gone through it. Wife is pretty @nal (it's a word not a body part!!) and had some fairly complicated and/or ridiculous questions. They came to our house two or three times without a contract just to talk and answer questions we had. We decided to go with them and the customer service was absolutely outstanding and they openly communicated everything to us. I'd give you the run down of the process but it would take me too long. They're the experts. I remember our project manager mentioning they were expanding to Houston in the near future - if you can patch that leak, I would wait until they are up and running.

Comment

If you want to find where the leak is get your water hose and start at the bottom of the valley and work up until you find where its leaking. For a quick fix you could get some the black roof patch and cover that area until you can get a new roof. That would buy some time so you don't have to get in a hurry. There's a bunch of roof's out there
          Just go with one that's local and been in business for a while with good references

Comment

If it's leaking, pull them off and start new

a) you can assess the damage and replace the decking if need be

b) adding another layer is just adding more weight to your roof

Comment

1. CertainTeed
              2. GAF
              3. Owens Corning

Just had ours replaced in June. Went with CertainTeed and chose a local company after reviewing BBB comments and personal recommendations from a couple of homeowners in my subdivision. Except for shelling out just over $10K, I'm pleased with the job.

Do a search(es) on the various brands and installers in your area.

Comment

Originally posted by Olphart View Post
                1. CertainTeed
                2. GAF
                3. Owens Corning

Just had ours replaced in June. Went with CertainTeed and chose a local company after reviewing BBB comments and personal recommendations from a couple of homeowners in my subdivision. Except for shelling out just over $10K, I'm pleased with the job.

Do a search(es) on the various brands and installers in your area.
                How many square feet is your house? Ours is right around 2300 single level.

Comment

Mine is 1851 sf with hip roof and single floor. That price included the detached garage, which is 30 x 24 (I think).

Comment

To go your local McCoy's and ask them whom they recommend

Comment

Originally posted by furtrapper View Post
                      To go your local McCoy's and ask them whom they recommend
                      Unfortunately we do not have a McCoy's anywhere close to us.

Comment

We build what I consider a very good roof.
                        The following is what I would do on my house or my mama's house.
                        1 remove shingles
                        2 check deck for soft spots or improper nailing
                        3 "Very important " use ice and water shield at all valleys crickets and chimneys. ice and water Shield seals around the nails whereas metal flashing does not
                        4 make sure chimneys have a cricket
                        5 install synthetic felt
                        6 install Starter
                        7 Install shingles, 6 nails per shingle, hand driven, Electro galvanized or stainless. Hot dip galvanized have Jagged edges and can allow shingles to tear.
                        8 now's the time to deal with proper venting.

I would be happy to give you a bid, but whomever builds your roof make sure they follow these specs.

Charles 832 654 8201 owner @ Competitive Designs

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                          We build what I consider a very good roof.
                          The following is what I would do on my house or my mama's house.
                          1 remove shingles
                          2 check deck for soft spots or improper nailing
                          3 "Very important " use ice and water shield at all valleys crickets and chimneys. ice and water Shield seals around the nails whereas metal flashing does not
                          4 make sure chimneys have a cricket
                          5 install synthetic felt
                          6 install Starter
                          7 Install shingles, 6 nails per shingle, hand driven, Electro galvanized or stainless. Hot dip galvanized have Jagged edges and can allow shingles to tear.
                          8 now's the time to deal with proper venting.

I would be happy to give you a bid, but whomever builds your roof make sure they follow these specs.

Charles 832 654 8201 owner @ Competitive Designs
                          I agree with this process.

I’ll add Malarkey makes a really good shingle. I have an acquaintance in DFW that won’t sell Malarkey because of their durability and longevity, makes it difficult to get repeat business, they just hold up well.

I DESPISE GAF shingles. I was on a roof this week that had GAF timberline. Roof was 5 years old, and I’ve been on 20 year old roofs with less delamination

Comment

Fargus, I own a roofing company in Katy. But we do roofs up your way as well. I’ve done several TBHers roofs on here. If you’d like you can give me a call anytime and I’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Kevin 832-549-7092

Comment

If you need a roof now you may want to move on it because if there is a storm that comes through it will cost you more. This occurred to us in 2008 we had some contractors lined up for a remodel of our house, then a storm came through and everyone got busy along with prices going up considerably.

Comment

Working...
                              X