The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whitetailslayer View Post
    In gearing up for september elk hunt, I've been scouting via OnX and Google Earth. There's a layer that has a portion of the unit boundary labeled "State of Idaho" that surrounded by private land.

Would this be considered legally huntable?
    Just want to verify as it looks like a spot worth scouting further.

Thanks in advance!
    How are you gonna get to it?

Comment

Umm, yeah you need access through that private to be legal. Better check to see what laws Idaho has on their state lands as well. Not sure if they are like Colorado and lease those hunting rights out so no legal hunting without that lease's permission.
      Welcome to our IDL GIS Data Hub. Our staff build and maintain spatial datasets and applications, conduct GIS projects, and publish interactive IDL GIS maps of Idaho.

Comment

My hunting partner found some bulls in our area over the weekend. Looks like some good growth

Comment

Nice. They look like they recognize him in that last picture. "Heeeey buddy, it's not season yet buddy!"

Comment

The Elk Thread

In gearing up for september elk hunt, I've been scouting via OnX and Google Earth. There's a layer that has a portion of the unit boundary labeled "State of Idaho" that surrounded by private land.

Would this be considered legally huntable? Just want to verify as it looks like a spot worth scouting further.

Thanks in advance!

Call the Idaho game department. The answer in Montana is no. We have lots of BLM land surrounded (locked) by private ranches.

If the NW corner of one touches the SE corner of the other, it’s called ‘corner jumping’ and also considered trespassing.

On OnX you can get the owner’s name and tax address. Write the owner a hand-written letter and ask politely for trespass.

Most people will not ask.

Also in Montana (I don’t know about Idaho) I do not need to post or mark the boundary of my land. If you’re out there hunting, it’s your responsibility to find it. Signs, painting posts red, putting red coffee cans on posts is a courtesy done by the land owner.
            Last edited by Bill; 07-20-2021, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
              Umm, yeah you need access through that private to be legal. Better check to see what laws Idaho has on their state lands as well. Not sure if they are like Colorado and lease those hunting rights out so no legal hunting without that lease's permission.
              https://www.idl.idaho.gov/about-us/maps-land-records/

Even if it’s not leased out- it’s still their land do with what they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can you take a helicopter in and do a drop like they do in Alaska?

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                  Newberg did that somewhere in Montana. I believe he said he couldn't hunt the same day as the flight or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                    Yes

Comment

Thank you for the great insight! I'll reach out to the DNR for additional verification. I should have stated that it does partially connect to BLM so not truly locked.
                      Also, Bill you're on point. Nothing beats a handwritten letter.

Thanks again guys.

Edit:
                      For those that use the OnX map ( I'm new to the app), I'm assuming the greenish yellow shaded areas illustrate what is considered public or legal to hunt, however the area that I mentioned, is shaded the bluish tint. Is there a legend that states these different layers and their meanings?
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by whitetailslayer; 07-20-2021, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Would you all recommend purchasing online elk hunting classes? and if so, which ones?

Comment

Thank you for the great insight! I'll reach out to the DNR for additional verification. I should have stated that it does partially connect to BLM so not truly locked.
                          Also, Bill you're on point. Nothing beats a handwritten letter.

Thanks again guys.

Edit:
                          For those that use the OnX map ( I'm new to the app), I'm assuming the greenish yellow shaded areas illustrate what is considered public or legal to hunt, however the area that I mentioned, is shaded the bluish tint. Is there a legend that states these different layers and their meanings?
                          Not exactly, they'll typically represent BLM or Forest service land, but that doesn't always mean it's huntable. Blue seems to usually be State land and you've definitely got to check that. Some states will reserve it, lease it, or just make it off limits to hunting because they feel like it.
                          edit: A legend isn't really needed, if you tap on a shaded area it'll tell you who owns it so quick and easy to see that way.

Comment

Here’s an OnX example up the road from me.

Tap area to right of BLM

Tap area above BLM

The 2 Xs by the way were 2 really nice potential Christmas trees I found.

Comment

Thanks Bill!!
                              I hope those Christmas trees will be there for ya when it's time too!

Comment

I’d much rather those were 2 wallows I found 6 miles up the road from home. Just Christmas trees.

I’m still trying to absorb there are elk on huntable land within miles of where I’m sitting.

…… not that I’ve been able to shoot one in 2 seasons. I have passed on cows for a bull. My wife says I’d be shooting a mommy.

Comment

Working...
                                X