No announcement yet.

Stain/Sealer for new deck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bring this back up for more last minute input. Power washed last week and again tonight. Letting it dry over night. Planning on using ready seal. Can you put it on with a pump sprayer or should I just roll it on?

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
      Bring this back up for more last minute input. Power washed last week and again tonight. Letting it dry over night. Planning on using ready seal. Can you put it on with a pump sprayer or should I just roll it on?

I’d call this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
        I’d call this guy.

https://youtu.be/oun5_NEmdzg
        Well that was interesting!
        My friends call me Big Dave and my last name is Johnson

Comment

Another vote for Ready Seal. I have sealed and stained two decks with it. It is very easy to work with and does not show "overlap marks".

Comment

looks like its treated lumber, does it NEED a sealer?

If it is, I just didn't think treated lumber would take stain or sealer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mission408 View Post
              Use readiseal a lot believe its made in texas and seems to hold up well. With the texas sun any stain will need reapplied every so often.
              Yep, made right down the road from me.

Comment

Did mine with Readyseal!! Love it. Went on super easy!! Literally goof proof like they say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Ex painter input here- When you powerwashed it, did the water still bead up, or did the wood soak it all in? If it is still beading up, need to let it dry out some more or you are wasting your time. The moisture will get trapped, and the chemicals in the treated wood will counteract the chemicals you are applying.

As for application, I never used Ready Seal, but we routinely used cheaper pump up sprayers and then back brushed using 4-6 inch brushes with roller handles on them so you didn't end up bending over all day.
                  Last edited by EastTexun; 07-09-2021, 09:21 AM. Reason: More details

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
                    Ex painter input here- When you powerwashed it, did the water still bead up, or did the wood soak it all in? If it is still beading up, need to let it dry out some more or you are wasting your time. The moisture will get trapped, and the chemicals in the treated wood will counteract the chemicals you are applying.

As for application, I never used Ready Seal, but we routinely used cheaper pump up sprayers and then back brushed using 4-6 inch brushes with roller handles on them so you didn't end up bending over all day.
                    It did not bead up at all. It is treated lumber that has been down for a year now. I was going to let it dry out today and seal it tomorrow. Its a good time with the grandkids gone for a few days. They live next door and come in and out 100 times a day.

Never heard of paint brushes with roller handles? Learn something new every day! I was going to use a nap roller.

Comment

It did not bead up at all. It is treated lumber that has been down for a year now. I was going to let it dry out today and seal it tomorrow. Its a good time with the grandkids gone for a few days. They live next door and come in and out 100 times a day.

Never heard of paint brushes with roller handles? Learn something new every day! I was going to use a nap roller.
                      Sounds like you are set then as far as being able to penetrate. As for the paint brushes, the stain specific brushes are big fat things, not like a regular paint brush, and they have removable handles. We always just removed the small handles and put a roller extension in there.

Something like this as an example. These are not my preferred ones, but look similar https://homeluf.com/best-deck-stain-brush/

Comment

Another thumbs up for Ready Seal. Easy application, stains smoothly and makes the wood look good. both pressure treated and not. Best I've ever used.

Comment

Note……..use a pump sprayer with a super fine nozzle and get the cracks between each board. Then roll the deck. It’s a pain in the arse to go back with a brush and hit all the seams. I did that and regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                            Did mine with Readyseal!! Love it. Went on super easy!! Literally goof proof like they say

That turned out great!

Comment

I only use Wooddefender.
                              Check out the attached at their website.

Comment

Working...
                              X