Freshwater outboard in saltwater flush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rvd View Post
    As stated just a good freshwater flush. I’d be more worried about the trailer, what kind is it?
    Hopefully your trailer is Galvanized or Aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      Corrosion X does a good job of protecting from corrosion but dang I hate working on a motor with that gunk all over it.
      The red can isn't bad. The green can is pretty messy.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
        That is why I switched to Corrosion Block. It does the same as corrosion x, but it dries clean like a silicone product. It work great for use under the cowling. It will not make electrical wires sticky or degrade them.

Last edited by Das71198; 05-06-2021, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post

The boeshield T9 works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Das71198 View Post
            Hopefully your trailer is Galvanized or Aluminum.
            It's neither, it's a tracker trail star brand?? What steps do I need to do to the trailer?

Comment

I flush mine with Salt Awayafter every trip and I also spray off my Galv trailer with it after every dunk.

Don’t know if it helps or not but 10 years later my trailer is not rusted and water jackets are clean everytime I pull the T-stats.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
                It's neither, it's a tracker trail star brand?? What steps do I need to do to the trailer?
                If the trailer is not Galvanized or Aluminum, I personally would not put it in Saltwater. I guess you could wash it off immediately after launching the boat. I have seen trailers like that have a severe amount of rust after 9 to 12 months or so. They will rust internally.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post

From what I can tell from the internet that is a tube frame painted trailer. I can tell you from experience that if you put it in saltwater 1 time the frame will rust out within a couple years.

The tubes are not sealed and saltwater gets inside the tubes where you can’t wash and they rust from the inside out

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                    From what I can tell from the internet that is a tube frame painted trailer. I can tell you from experience that if you put it in saltwater 1 time the frame will rust out within a couple years.

The tubes are not sealed and saltwater gets inside the tubes where you can’t wash and they rust from the inside out
                    This.

The saltwater getting in the tubing and causing rust from the inside is what gets you, happened to me and others I know. I would not put it in saltwater myself but if you do I’d suggest backing it in a freshwater lake a few times before I took it home.

Comment

This right here.

If you're dead set on using your boat, find a boat launch with a lift/sling that puts your boat in the water so you don't dunk your steel trailer. If not, budget $3-5K for a new trailer within the next couple years

Comment

Originally posted by Das71198 View Post
                        If the trailer is not Galvanized or Aluminum, I personally would not put it in Saltwater. I guess you could wash it off immediately after launching the boat. I have seen trailers like that have a severe amount of rust after 9 to 12 months or so. They will rust internally.
                        Dang, ok. I hadn't even thought of the trailer honestly. I'll be there for a couple weeks and don't know how much I'll get to fish. Will spraying the whole trailer with corrosion x help?

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                          This right here.

If you're dead set on using your boat, find a boat launch with a lift/sling that puts your boat in the water so you don't dunk your steel trailer. If not, budget $3-5K for a new trailer within the next couple years
                          Well hail, may of changed my mind now.

Comment

Well looks like I'll be looking for guide lol

Comment

Yeah, the motor isn't really a big deal. Flush it with freshwater and it's fine. The trailer is a big deal. I wouldn't dunk it in saltwater if I were you.

Comment

It is a tube style, it has a couple drain holes in the back but it does fill up with water when you back in. Thanks for the reply bud.

Comment

Working...
                                X