No announcement yet.

Polypipe 3500 feet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We made galvanized metal covers to cover floats.
    Attached Files

Comment

Water is more important than feed in some areas
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
        Feel it from the top and you won’t have this head pressure to contend with.

You would have to have a float valve on big tank or you would stop feeding water when level drops. We fill ours when we are at the ranch and it lasts a long time. It is feeding the 5 troughs, but lasts a long time.

Comment

I have 3/4 poly pipe running to a tank over 3000 feet away and it fills it just fine. I hooked my 3 different stations to sprinkler valves and timers so it is all automatic. Been doing it for years and no problems except every now a nd lean have to fix a separated union.

Comment

There’s no reason to run large pipe (1” or greater) for a trough. You don’t need that much flow. If it were flat you could feed a trough with 5 miles of 1/2” pipe.
            Take it from an engineer who designs water systems for a living.

Comment

The only issue I can see with 1/2” pipe is if you have gophers, they will wreck small diameter poly if not go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by Lafuria View Post
                my pressure tank says 10 gpm, so yes id be running from it roughly.
                i assume your pipe is on top of the ground - any issues with the critters breaking it - pigs, coons etc? how well has it held up to the uv light? also - did you bury it where is crosses "roads" - i run only a side by side on the property - have to cross over one spot - i was thinking putting it through a piece of pvc at that spot and trying to bury it as best i can ( hill country - u never know might be able dig couple feet or 1/4 of an inch.
                I had all the same concerns. It actually runs right by a feed pen. The hogs, coons, squirrels have not damaged it. I ran it through pvc at my roads. Both buried and above ground.

No clue yet on UV. It's been out a year.

Only issues I had was dragging it on gravel with it kinked. The bent points wore pinholes pretty quickly. No issues if it's not kinked.

I needed the higher flow of 2" and 1.5" for pond filling. . I think I agree with the others for you. Smaller poly might be the way.
                Last edited by toledo; 03-29-2021, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                  There’s no reason to run large pipe (1” or greater) for a trough. You don’t need that much flow. If it were flat you could feed a trough with 5 miles of 1/2” pipe.
                  Take it from an engineer who designs water systems for a living.
                  Education and knowledge is key. I would go his direction

Comment

Appreciate all the help
                    What pressure rating pipe would u go with? The cheaper option is 80 ish psi more expensive is 160psi. I have no idea what is normal on a 3/4 inch hose but google says less than 80. My thoughts are if i do get decent pressure at the center I might try planting a little food plot if i can irritate with a sprinkler or something

Comment

Polypipe 3500 feet?

Appreciate all the help
                      What pressure rating pipe would u go with? The cheaper option is 80 ish psi more expensive is 160psi. I have no idea what is normal on a 3/4 inch hose but google says less than 80. My thoughts are if i do get decent pressure at the center I might try planting a little food plot if i can irritate with a sprinkler or something

Use higher pressure rating for the wall thickness/toughness.
                      If you want to run a sprinkler that’s a whole different ball game and bigger pipe will be important. You’re not going to get much food plot under irrigation without a LOT more flow & pressure than a trough needs.
                      This is like you’re asking about a trailer to haul your riding lawnmower and then saying if you can you’ll haul your Deere 6155R.

Comment

Listen to ol' feather here... He can be pretty abrasive at times, but he's speaking wisdom in this thread!

Comment

I understand what he is saying, you know how projects go, one thing leads to another idea etc etc... but I totally understand the analogy.

Comment

Bringing this one back and slightly off topic from the OP, but where is the best place to buy poly pipe? Preferably around the Liberty Hill, Austin, Central Texas area.

Comment

I understand what he is saying, you know how projects go, one thing leads to another idea etc etc... but I totally understand the analogy.
                              My advise would be to bury it if at all possible. You will save on headaches down the road. Im not talking 24". Just 6" of cover will make the world of difference. I too reccomend 1" heavy wall pipe. You will get trash in the line over time and 1" does a better job of "cleaning" itself out versus smaller pipe. As others have said it won't take much fall if any to keep water flowing. Good luck.

Comment

I agree w/ the comments of doing at least a 1'' line. The fittings take a 1'' line down to a 3/4'' line - so any smaller, and it can get clogged up w/ moss or mineral deposits from the well water.

Where is everyone getting their 1'' or 1 1/4'' poly pipe?

I am about to lay 1200 feet, and will rent a walk behind trencher from Home Depot to bury it.
                                The quote from an oil field supply company was $1.35/foot for a 1'' poly line!

Comment

Working...
                                X