No announcement yet.

Changes to NR licenses in NM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My neighbor called me a few nights ago asking who NM voted for in the election. Biden. He said he asked because they were showing clips on the news of NM complaining about the severe job loss that’s going to come with Biden’s new orders.

Sounds like they just want to make decisions that will ultimately hurt them overall. When they’re jobless and the NR tourist money dries up they’ll be begging for folks to come spend their money there.

Comment

Changes to NR licenses in NM

The depredation tags would be on deeded ground only, which there isn’t a lot of in elk country. Which means there isn’t much in the way of ag ground in elk country either. Majority of water is on pubic ground too, just a little bit of private pasture here and there in the canyon bottoms. Ranchers aren’t going to start slaughtering elk by the hundreds all of a sudden.

Which, by the way, EPlus was just overhauled a couple years ago. I don’t think there’s any mention of it in this bill, unless I missed it?

I don’t know why I’m wasting my thumb muscles on this one. As a previous resident of NM, with friends who are/were outfitters there, I can tell you you’re sharing the minorities view on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by quackadikt; 02-02-2021, 10:18 PM.

Comment

No matter what they change, NM residents will still blame Texans for drawing all the tags.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
          No matter what they change, NM residents will still blame Texans for drawing all the tags.

[emoji23] That’s the dang truth.

Comment

2020 odds for rifle bull in unit 34 were: 0.94% NR, 2.62% Guided, and 2.05% Resident
            That's dividing drawn hunters by all applicants (Totaling 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices)

The proposed changes would result in: 0.98% NR and 2.20% Resident. (That's assuming the entire guided pool moves to the NR draw.

Take away all NR tags and the resident odds go to a whopping 2.44% based on 2020 numbers.

I think the slightly larger pool for NR will open more hunts for group applications. There's a lot of units that only have enough quota for 1 NR applicant to draw.
            Last edited by bigchiefj; 02-03-2021, 05:40 PM.

Comment

2020 odds for rifle bull in unit 34 were: 0.94% NR, 2.62% Guided, and 2.05% Resident
              That's dividing drawn hunters by all applicants (Totaling 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices)

The proposed changes would result in: 0.98% NR and 2.20% Resident. (That's assuming the entire guided pool moves to the NR draw.

Take away all NR tags and the resident odds go to a whopping 2.44% based on 2020 numbers.

I think the slightly larger pool for NR will open more hunts for group applications. There's a lot of units that only have enough quota for 1 NR applicant to draw.
              You can pull NR 1st and 2 archery and odds goes down when you combine applications.
              The guide pool applications will move to NR because they are All NR, there is no advantage for a res to go Into outfitter pool.
              Last edited by Texans42; 02-03-2021, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Just for a reference point. 6,134 Residents applied for 126 tags Unit 34 rifle. I’d be really upset with the whole situation if I was a resident.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                  You can pull NR 1st and 2 archery and odds goes down when you combine applications.
                  The guide pool applications will move to NR because they are All NR, there is no advantage for a res to go Into outfitter pool.
                  >>>>
                  Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                  Man this seems incredibly complicated. I would love to hunt out west but trying to navigate this hurts my head.

Comment

Unfortunately when non residents started paying bribes to outfitters for better odds the system went to trash for everyone. Blame the outfitters, guides and landowners for buying lobbyists to get this welfare fraud put into place.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                      Unfortunately when non residents started paying bribes to outfitters for better odds the system went to trash for everyone. Blame the outfitters, guides and landowners for buying lobbyists to get this welfare fraud put into place.
                      I think a 90/10 split would give a slight benefit to resident and nonresident applicants.

What are they proposing to do with landowner elk tags? Is it something like the old pronghorn draw where you get to hunt public and participating private property if drawn?

Comment

I think a 90/10 split would give a slight benefit to resident and nonresident applicants.

What are they proposing to do with landowner elk tags? Is it something like the old pronghorn draw where you get to hunt public and participating private property if drawn?
                        Be cool if they could do 15% or so to the NR pool.

I’m sure the lobby for those groups would like to keep the system in place that continues to allow them the ability exploit the system for maximum benefit.

Comment

I think an 85/15 split would be great. And I know a lot of residents that think the same. One thing I really wish would happen would be to do away with the stupid rule about cow tags only going to residents in the draw(this sky rocketed the price of LO cow tags and made it dang hard to draw as a resident) and the taking the youth encouragement hunts away and turning them into whatever they are now.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                            Be cool if they could do 15% or so to the NR pool.

I’m sure the lobby for those groups would like to keep the system in place that continues to allow them the ability exploit the system for maximum benefit.
                            Unit wide tags going back into the draw would benefit everyone, but I don't see that happening.

Comment

Unit wide tags going back into the draw would benefit everyone, but I don't see that happening.

That’s been NMWF’s argument/push for awhile now.

Comment

No it would only benefit Res. 99% of the time. When you break down the UW Tags #, then put into a season, they are below 10 season tags for most units. NR will never see those tags in draw. At least now they have an option.

If NM would of combined NR and outfitter pool tags I could see a big benefit to NR’s because then we would of seen whole % point draw odd increase.

As it stands NR Opportunity went down by 6%

Comment

Working...
                                X