My youngest sons first buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My youngest sons first buck

This little son of mine has made me proud. Gus (7) has been watching his older brother knock'em down for a few years now, and each time he asks me when his turn will be. Every time I would tell him that as soon as he proves himself at the range, that he will be allowed to try and kill something.

Well....this is his year. He proved himself this summer. The last 2 years the poor guy struggled to see through the scope, and could never make it work. I felt so bad for him, as each time it reduced him to tears because he wanted it so bad, but physically couldn't do it. I was so happy for him this summer when he was able to put his first group together. I was impressed.

Through out the summer we watched a buck that I wanted him to try and kill. He's a nice, mature 10pt. I really wanted him to prove himself on a pig prior to going after this buck. Just to kind of get his jitters out, and make sure he could make a good, effective kill shot. On our first sit (the weekend before youth opener), the nice 10 came out. Shortly after that, a big 8 comes out with a rope wrapped up in his rack. He was larger bodied than the 10, and you could tell he was a bit run down from the rut. We named him "Rope Head", and Gus took ownership of him at that point. He was ready to kill him right then, but I had to remind him that we would have to wait one more week.

Well, we weren't able to go on youth opener, and on general opener we went to Rocksprings. I decided to put him on doe, and he was able to get it done. It wasn't easy, and took about an hour to make it happen. They just move around like ants down there, and it took awhile to get one to stand still long enough. We finally got it done, and he was pumped.

Fast forward to yesterday. Friday and Saturday hunts were a bust due to a Thanksgiving party, so we made plans to go find old Rope Head on the evening hunt. The same 10 came out with a doe, and suprisingly he started pushing her around. I guess she came back in heat, as the rut is way over by now. Shortly after that I hear palmettos busting, and out pops Rope Head. I quickly get Gus in position. Rope Heads comes in to about 60 yds, and turns broadside. I ask Gus if he is on him, and he says "I'm on his heart". I said, "ok, take him". As I said "him", the buck started to walk. Before I could tell him to not shoot, he lets the 6.8 rip. Shooting suppressed it so cool!!! You could hear the bullet hit him, and he jumps and runs into the brush. He was pumped! The first thing he says is " is he dead?" LOL.....heck yeah man, good shot!

We didn’t see any blood, so we let him lay for an hour and went back to the house to get the dog. I knew his shot was back a little, and I didn’t want to take a chance bumping him. Dad let his dog out, and she went right to him. He only made it 30 yds into the woods. The shot was a little bit back, but it was enough vitals to kill him pretty quickly.

This kid is on cloud nine, and so am I!

1. range time
    2. on the hoof
    3. on the hoof
    4. a little off-road outlaws
    5. found him
    6. close up
    7. dad, take a pic like this
    Attached Files

Comment

Congrats to Gus!

Comment

Congrats Gus! That’s gonna be an awesome mount!

Comment

Awesome! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats to him and you as well! I know you have to br proud!

Comment

Love the last one. LOL.....Glad he could make it happen. Congrats to you both.

Comment

Pretty cool, congrats !!

Comment

Congrats Gus and Phillip! That's definitely one proud dad and son moment!!

Comment

Congrats to the young hunter...

Comment

Really neat old deer! Great job, young man!

Comment

Congratulations Gus, nice buck!

Comment

Heck of a deer congrats guys

Comment

Congratulations to your little man! That's a fine buck.

Comment

Congrats to your son

Comment

Working...
                              X