Rat Patrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rat Patrol

I seem to spend a fortune for sticky traps, bait stations and etc to keep the mice and rats to a minimum. Has anyone tried keeping a cat or two around camp to help out? There are always people trying to get rid of one or more. I can't do anything like that until I move closer to camp at the start of next year. I would have a place for it to get out of the weather and such, I don't want to just throw one out there and leave it without some help. I used to work where there were barn cats and we did not have any problems with the rodents. Just looking for ideas, and no I don't want to keep a snake around, I don't think my heart could take too many sightings. Good luck this year to everyone, we are still waiting on some deer sightings.

I'd think a cat would definitely help as long as it has water and shelter it will keep it's belly full of mice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TxSon1836 View Post
      I'd think a cat would definitely help as long as it has water and shelter it will keep it's belly full of mice

And snakes

Comment

I am a big fan of barn cats. I had problems with mice, snakes around the house. Got two young cats - fixed. They are dog food and have always hung around close to the house. I fed them table scraps when we had them as well. Did not kill a single rattle snake for last 3 years. Cats killed all the snake food. Lizards, mice, etc. I’d feed them as well- They kill a lot of stuff and just leave it for you- Wife said they do that for some reason like a dog bringing back a ball or something.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          I am a big fan of barn cats. I had problems with mice, snakes around the house. Got two young cats - fixed. They are dog food and have always hung around close to the house. I fed them table scraps when we had them as well. Did not kill a single rattle snake for last 3 years. Cats killed all the snake food. Lizards, mice, etc. I’d feed them as well- They kill a lot of stuff and just leave it for you- Wife said they do that for some reason like a dog bringing back a ball or something.
          Well they can stack them up for all I care. It just seems like I spend a lot on poisons and glue traps and sometimes it is a couple of weeks before I make it back and burn the dead ones in the burn barrel. They can make a mess and the ants like to get all over the place too. After the first of the year I will probably be out weekly at least and could make sure the cat(s) are doing ok. I'm not a cat person per se but I sure would not mind having them help me out.
          Last edited by txlawdog; 11-23-2020, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Cats are environmental terrorists as far as I am concerned and hate having them around. But they will do what you are looking for along with hammer on your native bird populations including quail.

Comment

Barn cat works great for me. Dave Meowthews takes care of all mice and snakes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Txlaw- If you keep them with what a place to stay and water/food they will stick around. And they are terrorist- They will kill anything and everything they can around their house. Birds, snakes, mice, spiders, lizards, scorpions, and the list goes on. They hunt non stop just for fun.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                  Txlaw- If you keep them with what a place to stay and water/food they will stick around. And they are terrorist- They will kill anything and everything they can around their house. Birds, snakes, mice, spiders, lizards, scorpions, and the list goes on. They hunt non stop just for fun.
                  Sounds just exactly what I need. Going to be something I follow up on real soon.

Comment

Look up the 5 gallon bucket rat trap on youtube.

Comment

Built the 5 gal bucket and haven’t caught one yet. They eat dribbled bait on their way up the ladder and all the bait on the spin tube. If they fall in, they must be big enough to crawl or jump out. They have decided to home up in our office. I caught a few in large traps, but some escaped, leaving a blood trail. Even tried large glue traps. They walked right out of them. Left prints in the glue the size of Bigfoot. We have seen a few on the security camera. Big enough that I don’t want an encounter in a dark hallway. Think the next plan is a spotlight and pellet gun. Not wanting to try poison because not wanting dead odor in the walls. Good luck with yours.
                      Last edited by gatt40; 11-23-2020, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gatt40 View Post
                        Built the 5 gal bucket and haven’t caught one yet. They eat dribbled bait on their way up the ladder and all the bait on the spin tube. If they fall in, they must be big enough to crawl or jump out. They have decided to home up in our office. I caught a few in large traps, but some escaped, leaving a blood trail. Even tried large glue traps. They walked right out of them. Left prints in the glue the size of Bigfoot. We have seen a few on the security camera. Big enough that I don’t want an encounter in a dark hallway. Think the next plan is a spotlight and pellet gun. Not wanting to try poison because not wanting dead odor in the walls. Good luck with yours.
                        You're gonna need a bigger bucket!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          You're gonna need a bigger bucket!
                          hilarious

Comment

I saw the YouTube vid on the bucket with a cut off top from a 5 gal. water container. It was inverted on the top of the bucket, bait in the bottom of the bucket & rats just drop down the jug opening and can’t climb out.

Comment

I've had a problem with rats/mice in my trailer for years. Started putting the poison under the trailer regularly and that seems to keep them at bay. None inside and no dead smell to worry about. Some people put poison in the trailer but why invite them inside if they can get it before that ? I did notice a feral cat ran from our shed as I entered and maybe he is the cure. Good luck. I'm putting my thermal on top an HK AR style 22 for hours of endless ratting when I'm bored.

Comment

Working...
                              X