Sealing wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sealing wood

Got some hickory logs I'd like to cut thin pieces off and secure old horns to them to hang in the man cave.
    Best way to seal the wood?
    Inside and climate controlled but id like to seal and stain em and leave the bark around the edges if possible.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

All options are open to you on this.

Do you prefer glossy, satin, or natural?

Comment

I like the look of amber shellac. It is easy to apply, adds just a touch of color to highlight the natural grain and is quite durable for an interior application

Comment

Natural look. Basically make the grain stand out.
        What about keeping the bark on?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I use arm-r-seal in satin. It gives a great nature look

Comment

The bark will eventually fall off. The only way I know of to slow that down is to use epoxy. Brush it all over the bark.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Speaking from experience,,, the bark will fall off.

Comment

Epoxy is the only product I've used to hold bark onto furniture and countertops. It does work.

Comment

Put it up in your attic some where it can stay dry and warm. Get the moisture out of the wood. You can mix turpentine and linseed oil and brush it in once the wood gets dried. If its a smooth surface steel wool and the mixture. Danish oil will give it a bit darker natural look. Take a piece of the wood and try it first. If you use a oil you will ynot need a top coat sealer

Comment

If your talking seal the wood to keep it from cracking it's not going to work for hickory. Use a wood less prone to checking. If your talking seal as a finish, use whatever you like. I use wipe on poly I make or just BLO.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X