Cheaper to Keeper???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheaper to Keeper???

Is it truley cheaper to keep-her? That is my question. No need to explain my predicament but by Texas Law, what is the percentage of a mans salary that is given per child. Is the dad the one required to keep the insurance on the kids as well. What other unforeseen cost, post separation would one expect to be responsible for? Thanks in advance.

it is definately cheaper to keeper! Last I checked 25% of income is max she can get in Texas. Don't know how the multiple child will effect that though. Plus new house and everything inside if it goes the way my friends first one went...His second one wasn't as bad and it cost him about $70,000.

Comment

20% for the first kid and 5% per kid after that. $1500 is the max in the state of Texas.
      Depends on the situation as far as insurance goes.

Comment

Im at 1600.00 a month on three kids plus Medical and dental Insurance. She kept her retirement and I kept mine. She was responsible for the debt that was in her name and I was responsible for what was in my name. I had to give her half the equity of the mortgage in order to keep the house. Other than that I cant think of anything else. In my situation I would have paid two times in order to get out. Good luck in your situation.

Comment

I've been down the divorce road. In my case there were no kids involved. I put her through the second half of her time in college and the remaining time we were married she primarily sat around the house. Basically she didn't contribute at all financially. It was tough watching her take half of what I had put together. I didn't realize it at the moment but I was much, much, MUCH better off financially without her. In my case, it wasn't cheaper to keep her..........not even close.

With kids involved it is different. Honestly, I think that you should take the financial aspect out of it and do what is best for your kids. In some cases it is best for the kids if the parents separate. In other cases it is best if they suck it up and stick it out. I don't know what would be best for your kids but I can only encourage you to not make this a financial decision.

Comment

pm sent hound dog

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
              I've been down the divorce road. In my case there were no kids involved. I put her through the second half of her time in college and the remaining time we were married she primarily sat around the house. Basically she didn't contribute at all financially. It was tough watching her take half of what I had put together. I didn't realize it at the moment but I was much, much, MUCH better off financially without her. In my case, it wasn't cheaper to keep her..........not even close.

With kids involved it is different. Honestly, I think that you should take the financial aspect out of it and do what is best for your kids. In some cases it is best for the kids if the parents separate. In other cases it is best if they suck it up and stick it out. I don't know what would be best for your kids but I can only encourage you to not make this a financial decision.
              I'v been sucking it up for the past 7 years now for the kids. But I can only take so much. Not gonna bash my wife on the green screen, but she has some issues and is ultimately a great women and mother. Apparently our almost 150,000 combind income isn't enough for her shopping habits and wants of new Lexus and a big house like other people we know. So I have to hear about it all the time, I made more than her this year, and everything is always my fault. The good lord has helped our marriage, but the devil still lives within.

Comment

no one is perfect and the grass isnt always greener...

kids make it worse...

sorry you all are struggling. If its possible to make it work I would try at all means possible. Now if its a knock down drag out every day and you just cant live together it may be better for the kids not to see the fighting...

But, its probably cheaper to keeper! dont know from experience, but I my wife doesnt sound like she is as costly as mine...

mine has an 06 impala and just said give me something that runs... and she tries to be cheap as possible. sometimes to cheap for even me! like macaroni. I hate the cheap macaroni.

good luck to you Sir.

Comment

Cheaper to Keep her........coors light helps. at least that way she has something honest to be upset about.

Comment

Originally posted by hound dog View Post
                    I'v been sucking it up for the past 7 years now for the kids. But I can only take so much. Not gonna bash my wife on the green screen, but she has some issues and is ultimately a great women and mother. Apparently our almost 150,000 combind income isn't enough for her shopping habits and wants of new Lexus and a big house like other people we know. So I have to hear about it all the time, I made more than her this year, and everything is always my fault. The good lord has helped our marriage, but the devil still lives within.
                    Wasn't trying to step on any toes.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family during this time. Tough decisions for sure.

Comment

I have custody of my children, so I have first hand knowledge.

In the state of Texas.... 20% for first child, 5% per child after that up to 50% of your gross income... not net income. If she/he's making minimum wage, that doesn't really amount to much, but it sure takes a chunk out of their paycheck.

Spousal support for up to 3 years if she's unable to hold a job, or hasn't worked.

You can negotiate the insurance, but I've always been on the safe side and supply the insurance....

IMO its NOT a good idea to stay together for the children's sake, I don't care what anyone says. If you can work things out for yourselves, then that's why you stay together. Kids adjust and adapt faster than adults do. The sooner and younger they are the easier they'll adjust. I'm speaking from experience. I had a 16 y/o down to 2 y/o when I divorced her, and the teenagers rebelled a bit, but the younger 4 adjusted quicker.

Hope this helps, PM me if you want to discuss anything.... I'd be more than happy to chat with you about this.

I'm not saying don't try to work things out. I'm saying try to work them out for you and her. Don't do it for the kids. Kids in dysfunctional families are worse off than kids of divorced parents.

Again, this is my opinion and is not necessarily the opinion of anyone else or the GS participants.

Donnie
                      Last edited by GypsyPoolman; 02-10-2011, 04:39 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

RdRdrFan, no toes stepped on brother, I appreciate any and all imput. I am working 2 jobs to keep my high maintainence wife, and when I work the extra job I get grief that I'm not home. If she doesn't have that extra money to get petie-cures/manicures and her hair highlighted, then I get grief. I'm not getting any younger and can't keep up 2 jobs forever. I

gypsypoolman, just saw your post. Thanks.

Comment

Been divorced 2x now. My question to you is can you put a price on your sanity? Maybe counseling can help or trying to be honest and open with her, but in the end it still boils down to how you feel and what you will and will not tolerate. Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cheaper to keep her. Yet it's better to be "broke and happy" than have a little $$$ and be miserable.

Comment

I can only make one observation. I am not divorced and never have been so take this for what it's worth: not much. Sit her down and have her work through the finances. Let her see how far in the crapper you'll be with a new car or new home. Tell her that you would LOVE to buy her those things but the two of you simply don't make that much money. If money is the only thing pushing you to divorce hopefully you two can work it out. Money is probably the biggest reason for divorces but it can be overcome.

Todd

Comment

Working...
                              X