Where are the ducks? Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are the ducks? Part 1

Check out this video on duck migration if you're into waterfowl.

Its a little slow first 15 minutes, so if you're not interested in watch the entire video go to section 15:43 in the video

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkE3NvSuF8E"]Where are the Ducks? Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

The ducks are ERRYWHERE

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
      The ducks are ERRYWHERE

Maybe for you, but I feel like the last few years we see less and less.

Did you check out the video or just post?

Comment

Pretty interesting video. I know their data didn’t support it, but I feel like it’s more weather related that the “flooded corn” theory. It’s not locking up up north near as consistently and the ducks simply don’t have to leave.

It seems like when it does lock up hard here, it’s just for a few days at a time during a cold snap. Ducks will just wait that out in a refuge where they’re rafted up heavy enough to keep the water open. I think the refuges are great, not knocking them at all.

I think a major problem for my area is the dang geese. They’re totally out of control. That has changed in my lifetime (30 years).

Comment

I could sure see this being very true. As I actually hunt on a property near crabb orchard refuge and there are TONS OF MALLARDS and used to be the same with Canada’s, but in the recent years Canadians have been Purdy thin compared to back in the 90,s when this place held the record on geese killed on a single property. We still smash the mallards if the weather is right with the occasional goose. I do find it very unfortunate if it is due to the bills that were passed.

Comment

I dont know if I buy it. Even if you do buy into their theory what is the solution. Not to allow hunting over crops??? Every duck hunting club, duck oriented lease and guide service I know of has property that they plant feed, build levees and artificially flood for the whole purpose of killing ducks over. It doesn't matter if your in the north or south it's happening.

It sounds to me the southern boys are getting ****** bc their birds are getting short stopped with the same practices they use by the northern boys.

If you reverted the laws to no more hunting over ag fields everyone would be ******.lots of guides would go out of business, ducks clubs/leases couldn't produce enough birds to charge current rates.

Are they suggesting to limit hunting to loafing ponds and ponds with native forage like duck weed, smart weed, acorns, pecans, and whatever other natural forage there could be?

Comment

Been too dry here for last 4-5 yrs !
              Doesn’t get cold till season is over either .

Comment

That’s it, I’m going “whole hog” in on AOC’s New Green Deal. We’ve got to stop climate change so the north gets frozen and stays frozen so “my” ducks migrate south!

Comment

I’m good friends with Dr. Merchants son. Pretty neat to see this video. I can tell you one thing....our hunting trips the last few years in Louisiana confirm this trend. The ducks are not around! It has been SLOW the last few seasons. I would be interested to see what the proposed solution to this is, if any

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
                    Been too dry here for last 4-5 yrs !
                    Doesn’t get cold till season is over either .
                    ??? Dry... We have had some of the wettest weather on record almost statewide.... If anything it's been so flooded ducks are spread out

I buy warmer Winters and more feed up north... Why fly if you don't need to

I think it's effecting our dove to honestly

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                      Pretty interesting video. I know their data didn’t support it, but I feel like it’s more weather related that the “flooded corn” theory. It’s not locking up up north near as consistently and the ducks simply don’t have to leave.

It seems like when it does lock up hard here, it’s just for a few days at a time during a cold snap. Ducks will just wait that out in a refuge where they’re rafted up heavy enough to keep the water open. I think the refuges are great, not knocking them at all.

I think a major problem for my area is the dang geese. They’re totally out of control. That has changed in my lifetime (30 years).
                      Flooded corn and ice eaters keeping water open. The geese in Arkansas is due to agricultural changes down here on the coast. There is hardly any rice left down here. Geese gotta go somewhere.

Comment

Seems like there were lots of arrivals Ok and norh must be getting lazy or smarter same food less travel

Comment

Are the overall North American duck population numbers what they claim?

If so, has the habitat changed within the wintering range over the last 20 years?

Further, in the winter range has the available forage condition changed in the same period?

Comment

I’m 55 and have lived all my life in the same farm, we have a duck spot flooded timber in the middle of about 40 acres of oaks. When I was a kid I could kill a limit of wood ducks every day before school if we had water, no water, no ducks. Hunted this spot my entire life up around 2008 and never killed any other type of duck in this spot. Along comes the drought and we were so dry in 09-10 no water zero for two years, 11 comes along and it rains for what seemed like 2-3 years, and we got water and we got ducks, only now mallards and a lot of them, in the last 8-9 years all we have killed is mallards, maybe 1-2 wood ducks each year, don’t get me wrong I’m not complaining, I don’t know what happened but something did.

Comment

Sounds awesome. Let me know if you ever need a partner!

Comment

Working...
                              X