Funeral Home, Staying overnight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funeral Home, Staying overnight?

Does anyone do this anymore? Or has the custom died out? My dad was born and raised in Morgan City La and when I was little and we went over there for a funeral someone from the family always stayed after visitation and the rosary overnight. Was told it was the last thing you could do for them not leave them alone. Maybe it was a Cajun culture thing but I haven’t seen it done in years.

Never heard of it.

Comment

I have never heard of that...I’m curious about feedback as to see if it is more common than I am aware of

Comment

Hell no. I'm out.....

I've heard of it though. I've also heard in Georgia that a funeral is a pretty casual occasion and afterwards the family buries the casket,which wasn't a very fancy one. Same for a funeral in Arkansas. It's not uncommon to see someone wearing sweat pants at a funeral there.
        Last edited by okrattler; 10-06-2019, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
          Does anyone do this anymore? Or has the custom died out? My dad was born and raised in Morgan City La and when I was little and we went over there for a funeral someone from the family always stayed after visitation and the rosary overnight. Was told it was the last thing you could do for them not leave them alone. Maybe it was a Cajun culture thing but I haven’t seen it done in years.
          Not sure how common it is, but I saw it just a year ago down south where we are. I’ve been told the “old timers” did it back in the day for folks?

Comment

In the Jewish culture they never leave the body unattended once someone has passed.

It's considered the highest honor and respect you can do for someone, there is no way they can pay you back for doing it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve heard of this, but never known anyone to actually do it. I’d say it’s a regional thing.

Comment

Never heard of it.

I'd say spend time with your loved ones while they're alive so you're not trying to do so once they're dead.

Comment

Definitely regional

Comment

very common 60 yrs ago

Comment

It’s called “sitting up with the dead”

Comment

I guess it is a regional thing. I believe it was very common in South Louisiana at one time. Not sure if it’s still that way.

Comment

Ernest, When I was a kid I can remember someone always sitting up with the dead. I haven't heard of that in recent years. I guess its died off.

Comment

It is done in the fire service, also a man is assigned to be available for family.

Comment

Originally posted by cashcropper View Post
                              Ernest, When I was a kid I can remember someone always sitting up with the dead. I haven't heard of that in recent years. I guess its died off.
                              It was originally done because there were occasions where someone would come back to life and someone stayed there in case it happened. Nowadays, technology can pretty much assure you that once you go in that box...you dead

Comment

Working...
                              X