Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we have a legit conversation about crossbows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do whatever gets you in the woods!

Comment

I bought a crossbow last year, just because I did not have one. I will say, it is fun to shoot. I have not hunted with it yet, but I may this year....even during bow season.
      Nobodies business as long as within confines of the law.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

I'll turn 73 this fall and am a die-hard longbow shooter. That said, I consider trad, compounds, and crossbows as just different forms of archery. In the OP's situation I would definitely use a crossbow.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
          A couple of things I have noticed about crossbows..... everyone starts the conversation with an injury or is old. I am neither and love my crossbow. Crossbows are a lot of fun !
          I use the 10 point Invader with 125gr Rage broadheads and carbon express bolts and love it. By the time you get the bow and get it rigged out you will have dropped close to $900 for it.
          Also, Ive never had anyone personally give me a hard time for using one.

Yep. I know several people that have them just because they enjoy them. Nothing wrong with that at all. Whatever makes you happy.

Comment

I bought my wife and son a Carnage apocalypse last year year, it was cheap and shoots beercan group's our to 75 yards. It may be louder than the high dollar crossbows but at 30-40 yards the bolt will be there before they hear it. I'm pretty sure it was 350-360 fps.

Comment

Originally posted by bulltx50 View Post
              If the crossbow keeps you in the woods, amen
              100% - Do I feel its the same as hunting with a vertical bow? No. Do I care what other people are doing as long as its a legal method of take? Also no. Get out in the woods and I wouldn't worry about what other people think about it. It would pain me to miss an archery season as well. TPWD has to take into consideration the efficacy of crossbow use and have deemed it legal. That's enough for me. Have fun and I wish you luck in whatever you end up choosing.

Comment

If you can’t use your bow, and you want to hunt, by all means, get something you can hunt with.

I guarantee you, if something happens to me that makes me using a bow impossible, I will still be hunting!!!!!

Good luck! I hope your recovery is fast and full!

Whether a X-bow is “archery” or not should not even be part of the discussion on this thread!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

PM sent . I sometimes and literally feel your pain as I feel from a Ladder a couple years ago ... Broke my shoulder & ribs
                  Long healing and it may never be the same but Follow Doctors Orders and Lots of Physical therapy...

Comment

I bought my first crossbow after a shoulder injury several years ago. I bought it thinking I would get rid of it when my shoulder got better. I did get rid of it, but only to upgrade to a better one. I enjoy hunting with it.
                    Horton makes a good crossbow. They are now owned by 10 point.

And just to clarify...Arrows have vanes, bolts do not.

Comment

At my age, there is no way in hell I would stay out the woods one year because a couple of jake-leg crossbow haters "don't approve" from their high and might tripod in the sky. Bleep em!.

I used to be against adding it to archery only season but have since lightened up after watching a few older men I know get to continue in the woods because of them. ClayW's dad uses a crossbow exclusively (even during general season) and I'm glad to see he still in the game with it. It may not be draw archery but it **** sure is a broadhead, a "stick" and some type of fletchings being flung. And you can certainly resell it and get some of our money back if you don't care for it still after you heal up. Getrdone!

On a side note...when I borrow your new Traverse as my backup to my Traverse this year, don't pay any attention to my initials carved in it.. Hopefully your last name start with an S, Jeff..
                      Last edited by Smart; 08-09-2019, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        At my age, there is no way in hell I would stay out the woods one year because a couple of jake-leg crossbow haters "don't approve" from their high and might tripod in the sky. Bleep em!.

I used to be against adding it to archery only season but have since lightened up after watching a few older men I know get to continue in the woods because of them. ClayW's dad uses a crossbow exclusively (even during general season) and I'm glad to see he still in the game with it. It may not be draw archery but it **** sure is a broadhead, a "stick" and some type of fletchings being flung. And you can certainly resell it and get some of our money back if you don't care for it still after you heal up. Getrdone!

On a side note...when I borrow your new Traverse as my backup to my Traverse this year, don't pay any attention to my initials carved in it.. Hopefully your last name start with an S, Jeff..

I’m with Jason. If people don’t like it they can **** up a rope.

If a crossbow gets me in the woods AND significantly lessens the chances of me doing further self inflicted damage to myself, crossbow it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                          DO NOT TURN THIS THREAD INTO A PIZZING MATCH PLEASE.

Many of you know that I tore my bicep tendon off last week, I got it stitched back on two days ago. 3 weeks in a cast and 12 weeks therapy. Arm hurts right now so I cant sleep

I have thought about cranking my wheelie bow down to 50 pounds and see how it feels after the cast comes off. Too many of y'all have told me not to do that, so I have considered buying a crossbow to use. Aint no way I could use my take down. Part of me says no its not archery and part of me says yes its ok because your old and your bones is wore out.

I hate to pay 500-700 for a crossbow for one season. But I sure hate to miss a season, I cant sit around cause it kills me. Some of the comments from guys on TBH about crossbows seem very negative. I know two guys in their 80's that just bought crossbows and are going to the woods for archery season this year, they are excited. I guess I could buy one and use it for a while and sell it after season or give it to the next TBHer that messes his arm or shoulder up.

I dont think I would want a crossbow that costs 2500.00 and throws bolts at 475 fps. I thought about getting one that shoots 350fps and costs 500.00. Ten Point has the Horton RDX on sale for 574.99 and most of the reviews are very positive. Pretty sure I would have to get one that uses a crank.

I would rather buy one from a website sponsor but I do not know who that would be.

Honestly I dont know what to do. Maybe I can just be a camp biatch for some sorry souls
                          I had a torn labrum and impinged clavicle repaired 1 year ago last week. I thought archery season was a wash for me and had relegated myself to just hosting my brother on opening weekend. Against my objections he brought his son's crossbow the day before opening morning and I was surprised I was able to draw it from a standing position with no pain (9 weeks post op). After a lot of convincing and pushback I broke down and spent a few hours getting comfortable with the equipment and I was drilling quarter sized spots @ 20 yards with it in less than an hour.

I took it out opening morning and, well, the results speak for themselves. I was shocked at just how much power was packed into that little bow. That arrow hit her like a baseball bat, sailed through her and stuck in the ground (not landed, but stuck) about 40 yards behind her. Not bad for a $200 Barnett.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180929_191354-01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	24588112
                          Last edited by JonBoy; 08-09-2019, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                            I inquired about it, but that one is a long ways away from me.
                            what's your location?

Comment

With the shape of my shoulders, I may have to go to one this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

word

Comment

Working...
                                X