Trapping coons.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trapping coons.

Those of you that trap coons around your feeders, does it bother the deer when you have one trapped at or near your feeder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never bothered my hunting at all...

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0023.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	24595583

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0020 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	24595584

Comment

I’m gonna have to start. I’m covered up with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
        Never bothered my hunting at all...

[ATTACH]975852[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]975853[/ATTACH]
        Great pics Charlie! I had often wondered about this exact question.

Comment

I understand the question. But my experience is hasn’t made much difference
          I suggest DPs and the little tool made to set them
          Really effective.

Comment

I haven't ran into any issues with it bothering the deer that I know of.
            Attached Files

Comment

not a bit. They seem to be in favor of them being trapped and not moving around so much. I have trapped several and had deer clean the feed pen out afterwards.

Comment

We trap in the offseason because they are loud.. Those metal traps banging up against the legs makes a lot of racket when you want it to be quiet. If we do trap during the season it will be at a feedpen we don't plan on hunting that weekend and we notice there is a coon problem.. My deer are standoffish to it and only eat around the edges....the cameras show they won't stand next to them.....or if they do its not long. They avoid the sides of my protein feeder the coons are trapped on and directly underneath or around the corn feeder legs.

At least that is the story my Coverts tell....and the feed still left when we go to whack them.

Comment

I wouldn't stand around close to a caught coon either! Theys a might testy for some reason.

Comment

I trapped a couple in the last few days. I find the trails coming to the feeder and trap them coming and going (away from the feeder). Mainly because the Big Bucks do not like commotion or things affecting their senses, yes your average deer will eat around them but a big smart buck does not like change or racket.

Comment

I use a have a heart trap 15yrds out in the brush., doesn't bother the deer I can see.

Comment

They are use to them

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                          I use a have a heart trap 15yrds out in the brush., doesn't bother the deer I can see.

My deer spooked bad from the live traps. Not sure what it was but they didn't like a coon in a cage deal at all... When I switched to Duke's, I had no more problems hunting a stand where I was trapping coons... Actually was kind of an extra bonus... I kept some throw down arras in my stand and would shoot the coons with them for a little extra practice after the hunt was over...

Comment

carpet tack strips solved the climbing the hunting area deer feeder ploys. Whats on the ground is fair game but the deer came anyway. Now how to solve the backyard garden and bird feed issues. They dig up my fish guts planted to fertilize, knock down the hummingbird feeder and eat my pears. I bought a sling shot but city frowns on that. Pesky little guys. My dog went to heaven last year. Been heck since than. I just figured it out. Too simple, dog where art thou.

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchsun View Post
                              carpet tack strips solved the climbing the hunting area deer feeder ploys. Whats on the ground is fair game but the deer came anyway. Now how to solve the backyard garden and bird feed issues. They dig up my fish guts planted to fertilize, knock down the hummingbird feeder and eat my pears. I bought a sling shot but city frowns on that. Pesky little guys. My dog went to heaven last year. Been heck since than. I just figured it out. Too simple, dog where art thou.

Our coons used carpet tacks and sharks teeth for grip up the poles...

Comment

Working...
                              X