No announcement yet.

When to shoot a doe with fawn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big enough to eat corn, big enough to be an orphan. Nothing wrong with the flavor of a lactating doe. I prefer it. Most fawns will be ejected from the momma's teat in a few short weeks anyway.

Comment

I cant even kill a buck.

Comment

The only thing about that - we've learned to not hunt / shoot does for 2 weeks from that stand after shooting a doe. It's too risky to end up shooting that older fawn thinking he/ she was a young doe, especially when hunting with a rifle.

Comment

I usually wait til it gets cooler. It is just too darn hot to clean something right now.

Shoot away.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis View Post
            We wait till all the spots are gone and then it's game on
            X2

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
              Shoot the fawn too
              Awful good eating

Comment

My personal rule is I never shoot a doe with a fawn with it. I don't have an issue with those that do, especially to put needed meat in the freezer. But if we are being honest, a very low percentage of hunters are hunting for that reason alone. Otherwise they could buy lots of meat for a lot less than they spend on hunting. My opinion is that if it's lawful means and you want to shoot it, go for it. I try to only kill large does if I take one. We have a lot more bucks on our property than we do does so I'm selective on the does I shoot.

Comment

I won't do it, seems if I wait long enough I can find a solo...

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                    when you hunt axis that breed year round fawns and fetuses are always an issue. when they are travelling in a herd of 30+ it makes things more difficult. the last one I shot had an older fawn in tow and was 3 months along with the next one.
                    I have killed more axis does than I can count and never, not once, did they not have a fetus in them. Suckers are prolific.

Comment

Working...
                    X