Matagorda surf fishing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matagorda surf fishing advice

Hi I am going to be in Beach City this weekend and I am going to head down to Matagorda and try to do some surf fishing.

I haven't ever been there so I was going to ask some advice. Looking at a map it looks like I just drive down to Matagorda Beach, turn left and look for an open spot on the beach to fish. Maybe take Dunes Dr and see if I can't go past 3 mile cut.

Normally we car camp on the beach. I kayak out some big baits and throw spoons in the surf until one of the big rods go off.

Thanks again for the Advice.

I don't believe you can access the beach by vehicle if you go all the way down to the end and take a left. I haven't been down there in a while but I know they closed that first part off to vehicle traffic a while back. You have to turn before you get to the beach. I wouldn't venture far if you don't have 4x4. Other than that get after it, reds are biting.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
      I don't believe you can access the beach by vehicle if you go all the way down to the end and take a left. I haven't been down there in a while but I know they closed that first part off to vehicle traffic a while back. You have to turn before you get to the beach. I wouldn't venture far if you don't have 4x4. Other than that get after it, reds are biting.
      What he said, and you'll also need a vehicle permit. They sell them at any gas station in Matty.

Comment

Get a parking sticker at Stanley’s before you go over the bridge. Turn left before you get to the park at the end. Beach has been pretty soft and you may be limited if you have 2 wheel drive. If you can go at least past 3 mile to get away from most of the people.

Comment

I haven't been out there in a few years but I always liked fishing the shell bank but be ready to get cut off a lot. If the surf is really rough you could drive to the end and fish in the cut. I wouldn't venture far without 4x4, especially at high tide.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I do have a four wheel drive. I go to PINS a lot so I always take a shovel, rope, a little cash and check the tides before I go. I don't have to drive a million miles I just like to be where my neighbors aren't within 100 yards of me. I guess my plan is to stop at Rawling bait camp get some bait and a pass then head to dunes rd and 3 mile cut.

Thanks again for all he help. I could go to Freeport but I have fished there a lot so I am excited to try a new spot.

Comment

Don't take Dunes, I believe it's fenced off. Also it get's sketchy, just run the beach.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                Don't take Dunes, I believe it's fenced off. Also it get's sketchy, just run the beach.
                This, and just add some fish bites. Put that to catch fresh bait. If you are not catching bait you arnt catching reds.

Comment

You can't drive down "Dunes Dr" or whatever you are calling it. That is gated off. You have to drive out onto the beach and then down the beach. There is only 1 way out onto the beach.

To get into 3 mile drive down the beach and then back into 3 mile. You can go down either side of the cut, you'll just have to explore a little. Just be careful. The tides are super high and I am sure there are plenty of mudholes with no bottom to get stuck in back there. Stay on the high and dry paths. Don't drive through any water. When I say there is no bottom I mean it.

Comment

Working...
                  X