Hill country acorns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hill country acorns

Well if the Rays got Verlander’d, then our group go acorn’d this weekend. How long does the acorn drop typically last in the hill country? We are right outside of junction and went from good movement on cameras to zip quicker than hootie dropped the blowfish, all in the last week.

Noticed the same in Llano. Went from over a dozen deer per feeding to just 4-5 almost overnight. We are in a severe drought so deer were hitting corn and protein pretty hard.

I grew up hunting the hill country and every year it seems like daylight deer activity is slowest the first 3 weeks of October, picks up a little around the 4th week of October, slows as the rut fires up (bucks are on the move and not interested in eating) then gets better and better from Thanksgiving to New Years.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde12 View Post
      Well if the Rays got Verlander’d, then our group go acorn’d this weekend. How long does the acorn drop typically last in the hill country? We are right outside of junction and went from good movement on cameras to zip quicker than hootie dropped the blowfish, all in the last week.
      Ok, that made me laugh...but now I’m sad...d*** acorns!!!!

Comment

I like it when the acorns drop. I just hunt the acorns

Comment

Happens just about every year. You can drive down the road and see deer under just about every big oak you pass.

Comment

I was at our place a few weeks ago and noticed a lot of acorns but they hadn’t really started dropping yet. Also lots of pecans and wild persimmons in the creek areas too

Comment

I realize this occurs every year but how long does the acorn trend typically last? We normally only hunt once during archery season so we don’t think about it too much but I might be able to make it back 2 weekends from now. Will they still be on the acorns?

Comment

Yes and yes, acorns for days! Really you can expect half of if not 2/3rds of deer season in some areas. Long as there is acorns their eating acorns.

Comment

Only thing that usually knocks the acorns out of the picture early is some solid rains. Other than that they’ll usually hang around until into December when things really get cold.

Comment

I sat this morning and didn’t see one deer

August lots of activity same with September then it slowed to nothing.

We don’t have a bumper crop this year but still def. enough to draw deer away from feeders

We are green in our area too

Comment

Mowed today here in Boerne and had acorns falling in my lap. Had 4 does at my house feeder this evening. A week ago there were 20+ deer there every spin. Happens most every year. Just part of the game.

Comment

Sitting a feeder in the hill country will be very slow for the next few weeks.. I went to Brady Saturday afternoon to do some work and could not believe the amount of acorn falling and still yet to fall.. It was dead calm(HOT)and they dropping like rain....We need a high wind to finish them out... And then a bunch of rain...
                        According to the cameras the action has slowed tremendously... They'll be back..

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                          Noticed the same in Llano. Went from over a dozen deer per feeding to just 4-5 almost overnight. We are in a severe drought so deer were hitting corn and protein pretty hard.

I grew up hunting the hill country and every year it seems like daylight deer activity is slowest the first 3 weeks of October, picks up a little around the 4th week of October, slows as the rut fires up (bucks are on the move and not interested in eating) then gets better and better from Thanksgiving to New Years.
                          This is exactly how our place is. Depending on weather is how fast they start coming back to the stand.

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
                          I realize this occurs every year but how long does the acorn trend typically last? We normally only hunt once during archery season so we don’t think about it too much but I might be able to make it back 2 weekends from now. Will they still be on the acorns?
                          There will definitely still be acorns.

Comment

Dropping like crazy in Edwards county. Not every tree but maybe every 5th oak tree has a big pile of acorns under it.

Comment

Working...
                            X