trad Amistad advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trad Amistad advice?

FishxBones asked me if I'd like to try a three day stalk and hunt at Amistad, I said yes but realize we are both new at hunting with trad gear. I've been shooting longer in the back yard but he's already a better shot. With that in mind we're hoping to hit it next month for a camp/stalk-n-hunt over a weekend. He and I met up a few weeks ago for some shooting together and both learned something from the other. He's ordered new shafts and we plan a day to meet up again to get his tuned and fletched. I've got my little kit of various inserts and such and the jig so we'll do our best to set him up correctly but when it comes to hunting the scrub I'm at a loss of how to do it or where to go. Any of you folks been out there or can offer some advice?

I think stalking out there with a traditional bow is a bold endeavor.
    I think you would do better building makeshift brush blinds along trails and drainage.

Comment

There should be lots of deer movement if you are targetting early December... Currently everything is extremely green and obviously the weather will play a big role in how that plays out. If you are looking to chase Mouflon that will be hit or miss as most will have been chased of and on to private land by then. You would have a far better chance to find the sheep in either late January or early February.

As far as spot and stalk that's going to be a challenge regardless of what you hunt. I have not hunted much so can't give you much info on movement this year. I will say the times I have been successful it has been sitting on trails. All my experiance is with wheels.

Comment

That is how I have been hunting for several years. You will see lots of deer but it is hard to get a shot as lots of deer will see you too. I haven't drawn on a deer yet this season but have been within shooting distance of eight or ten now. I swear that they can see through bushes. Just last evening I had a nice doe at about fifteen yards. She saw me start to lift my bow. Ten minutes later I had a buck run past me at about twenty yards, he never saw me. I went to nock an arrow and kneel down when another buck ran up and stopped in a perfect spot for a shot, but I couldn't draw the bow as I was bent over too much. This morning I'm going to put a pop up next to that trail and hope that I have a bow short enough to use. That trail is a hot one.

Comment

60 Deluxe you bring up a question that I've had for a while now. The pop up out at the lease is a bit short for my recurve and I'm looking for a shorter (Fred Bear obviously) recurve that I can use in a pop up or that might be better for stalk hunting through the brush.

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
            That is how I have been hunting for several years. You will see lots of deer but it is hard to get a shot as lots of deer will see you too. I haven't drawn on a deer yet this season but have been within shooting distance of eight or ten now. I swear that they can see through bushes. Just last evening I had a nice doe at about fifteen yards. She saw me start to lift my bow. Ten minutes later I had a buck run past me at about twenty yards, he never saw me. I went to nock an arrow and kneel down when another buck ran up and stopped in a perfect spot for a shot, but I couldn't draw the bow as I was bent over too much. This morning I'm going to put a pop up next to that trail and hope that I have a bow short enough to use. That trail is a hot one.
            I have not tried pop ups but a few people that have tried them have told me deer get really spoked by the pop ups...

I have a decoy that I plan to put out in hopes of momentarily stopping the deer and drawing their attention away from me... Again all my experiance is with a compound...

Comment

In talking to FishxBones we'll most likely find spots near a draw or trail and sit near them. I've never built a "brush blind" but I'm guessing it can't be that difficult. Cut/bend some trees/brush into shape and sit inside. Hmm.... I'm thinking scent may be an issue out there as those deer probably see many many people a year and know what we smell like.

Richard.

Comment

Ive chased the moufies until goofy at Amistad. With wheel bows. Typically we stalk until we find them bedded. Then form a plan with pusher and shooter. Getting them to squirt around a finger near the water with a blocker/shooter has worked well.

It is canyon land...so get ready for a hump.

The wind blows pretty constant pretty regular at Amistad once the day warms up. Mornings are typically calm. The sheep like to bed down on the leeward CLIFF FACES. They seem to move along the upper halves most...where its a bit more earthen. I think stalking to find the mouflon then sitting on a trail going through a draw between two fingers would afford the best potential. There are trails everywhere and but can disappear in the abundant white grey rocks...Army ACUs would work great.

Carry binos. Radios really help for coordinated attacks. Wear thick pants, thick boots and leg gaiters. Most every plant out there will stab you...except for creosote bush.

Stay nocked on the walk back to the truck. The mouflon dart around like cockroaches and will reappear when least expected...20 yds from truck. You can scout from some of the ROWs and glass to see if any critter are moving and immediately worth the jaunt to the interior of the units.

There are abundant deer...most have looked young but healthy when Ive seen them. The mouflon and most all critters wil squirt to private land in a heart beat. If you show up and herd of dudes are heading back to their truck...dont bother...theyve likely already pushed the critters to private. However it seems the the critters know when its gun season on private and enjoy public archery frustration more readily. Hunt the weekdays for less pressure if possible.

Ask the Rangers at the station where theyve seen the critters to peg down a potentially fruitful unit to start the hunt.

Good luck Richard.

Byron
                Last edited by Briar Friar; 11-17-2018, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Thanks Byron!

Comment

Working...
                  X